Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
You might try either the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. Excellent for surfing. You can pick up a board for a great price at one of the local board shops. No hauling the boat, winterizing, or dealing with maintenance issues. And best of all, slalom enthusiasts can actually get out and enjoy the water in your absence.
Oh shush Skipper, no reason to post that garbage up.

Besides, you skiers are always injured anyway.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 x10
Hahaha
Thats funny
Well put
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
TT Newbie

hahaha
that's funny
well put
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
You might try either the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. Excellent for surfing. You can pick up a board for a great price at one of the local board shops. No hauling the boat, winterizing, or dealing with maintenance issues. And best of all, slalom enthusiasts can actually get out and enjoy the water in your absence.

Now boys, he is simply referencing the fact that wake boats produce VASTLY improved surf wakes in deeper water, 40 feet or so is about right. So the fact is, surfers and skiers should almost NEVER be sharing the same section of water! I try to find water 3'-4' deep so course set up is easier.

Therefore if your lake does not have good deep water, you are on the wrong body of water!

Such simple and irrefutable logic just cannot be ignored.

Besides, I prefer the surfers to the wakeboarders and tubers. Atleast they generally move so slowly and fall so often that they utilize relatively little of the water, so long as they'd have the common courtesy to let the boats drop off plane and have the surfer swim back to the boat, they'd be even easier to deal with.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

You have a good point about water depth and most surfers know this but not everyone is fortunate to be near a deep lake and just because someone is new to surfing doesn't necessarily mean they are new to boating. I'm relatively new to surfing but have been boating for 30+ years. I even learned to slalom behind an outboard (is that even allowed?! shhh, don't tell anyone). Most experienced boaters will stay away from other boats no matter what they are doing. There are idiots who surf, wakeboard and yes, even idiots who slalom. If someone is surfing near your course what's wrong with saying "Hey man, if I stay on this side and you stay on the other side we won't mess up each others lines"? I bet most people would be agreeable and maybe because of inexperience they didn't realize what they were doing and now learned something. So let's put on our big boy pants and remember respect is a two way street no matter what you're doing.
Now back to the topic. Tfalcon, Woon is hooking me up with a soulcraft fangtail. I'll post some pics in the soulcraft thread when I get it. Should be sweet and the cost with custom artwork is comparable to a lot of boards. Hoping I get a chance to ride it this year. Do you have any boardshops within a reasonable distance? Some will let you demo boards. Might give you a better idea of what works for you. Good luck with your search and post some pics of what you get.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 PM
TT Newbie

I appreciate your input and reasonable perspective
I have a couple of shops that aren't too far. That's a good idea to try a demo.
I am curious about the soulcraft as well. I will look for your pics.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalcon View Post
I appreciate your input and reasonable perspective
I have a couple of shops that aren't too far. That's a good idea to try a demo.
I am curious about the soulcraft as well. I will look for your pics.
Thanks
The issue is 99% of shops won't have the really good boards to Demo. If you want to ride the good ones you'll have to get lucky and find someone local that will let you go out with them or borrow one.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The two good shops local to me quit doing demos on wakeboards and wakesurfers a couple years ago for all but their best customers. Even at that the only surf boards they would demo were the lower end compression type surfboards. Apparently they were getting a lot of their gear back in less than desirable condition. I was able to demo a Liquid Force Heartbreak for my daughter a couple years back but only after getting an over ride from the store manager and a promise to take care of the board. I also had to shell out a $50 non refundable deposit (the $50 would be good for any products in their shop should I not want the board). That was for a $300 compression board.

The high end boards due to their cost tend to be custom made and are less likely to be readily available at most shops. They are also going to be more fragile and prone to dents and dings which along with the added cost of the board is going to be an inhibitor to any reasonably priced demo program. I can't see how a local shop is going to be able to carry an inventory of $800 boards and have any desire to loan them out.

Ryan has a Fang Tail on order for me also but the only riding I'll be doing on it this year will be in my dreams. As I write this note my desktop weather gadget is saying it's 34 degrees. The boat's been winterized and waiting for a detail before heading for heated storage.