Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I don't think you will have any worry with the block freezing. However, there are some corrosion inhibition benefits from filling your block with Propylene Glycol (RV Antifreeze). I store my boat in an attached garage in northeast Texas. I do the antifreeze these days just for whatever corrosion protection it may provide.
Those Nautanks arent as tough as Mastercrates

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Last edited by TxsRiverRat; 10-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
That Nautanks arent as touch as Mastercrates
They are certainly not as tough to add antifreeze to. Just drain, unhook the hose going to the thermostat housing, raise it up, and pour the antifreeze in. Takes 5 minutes.

Of course, since his 83 has a PCM motor, he can do the same thing!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
I put mothballs in plastic containers (think sour cream or butter tubs) with the lids off, in strategic places throughout the boat to keep critters out.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
They are certainly not as tough to add antifreeze to. Just drain, unhook the hose going to the thermostat housing, raise it up, and pour the antifreeze in. Takes 5 minutes.

Of course, since his 83 has a PCM motor, he can do the same thing!
LOL! dang typos!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
I don't think you will have any worry with the block freezing. However, there are some corrosion inhibition benefits from filling your block with Propylene Glycol (RV Antifreeze). I store my boat in an attached garage in northeast Texas. I do the antifreeze these days just for whatever corrosion protection it may provide.
That's what I am doing now as well. Fluid in risers...etc...prevent oxidation - due to know oxygen...so you may see black rust come spring...but it does not eat steel like red rust.

Di-Potassium Phosphate is used in fact it is the only corrosion inhibitor found in most RV/Marine antifreeze.

http://www.peakauto.com/resources-te...speaking.shtml
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Good to know you've seen the light. I mean hey, can't hurt, right? ;-)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Good to know you've seen the light. I mean hey, can't hurt, right? ;-)
It's the MCOCD...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I had outstanding water to surf and board last weekend at our lake outside KC. Was hoping to squeeze another day in before calling it a season, but didnt happen this week.

I'm also planning to store my XStar at Subtropolis this winter, but was hoping to wait until the end of October to pull boat out of lake for storage. Unfortunately, a cold front moved into the Midwest towards the end of the week and weatherman called for freezing temps Saturday night.

Sure enough, temperature dropped below freezing for about 3 hours last night and I was worried sick that water in the coolant system might freeze. I consider taking a small portable electic heater to marina last night and placing it in rear locker to keep engine warm. I decided not to use heater because of possible risk of fire.

Instead, I set alarm for 4am this morning and went out to marina and dropped boat in the drink to run engine and warm her up. Ran boat in slip for 20 minutes around 5am and then lifted XStar back out of water, closed her up, and went home to get an hour of shut eye.

Did I overreact to the 1st frost of the year?????
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Being on the water even on lift is like an insulator this early in the off season...Miss Rita brought it up earlier in another thread. All that steam you see on water when the temp dives is heat leaving the water....
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post
I had outstanding water to surf and board last weekend at our lake outside KC. Was hoping to squeeze another day in before calling it a season, but didnt happen this week.

I'm also planning to store my XStar at Subtropolis this winter, but was hoping to wait until the end of October to pull boat out of lake for storage. Unfortunately, a cold front moved into the Midwest towards the end of the week and weatherman called for freezing temps Saturday night.

Sure enough, temperature dropped below freezing for about 3 hours last night and I was worried sick that water in the coolant system might freeze. I consider taking a small portable electic heater to marina last night and placing it in rear locker to keep engine warm. I decided not to use heater because of possible risk of fire.

Instead, I set alarm for 4am this morning and went out to marina and dropped boat in the drink to run engine and warm her up. Ran boat in slip for 20 minutes around 5am and then lifted XStar back out of water, closed her up, and went home to get an hour of shut eye.

Did I overreact to the 1st frost of the year?????
I ended up filling my block with antifreeze since it wasn't going to be in the caves for a month at least. I think you did good. What lake is your boat on?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.