Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Any reason to winterize?

With the cold coming up, I have to make a couple decisions about what I'm going to do with the boat. Unfortunately I don't have room at home to store it, so I have to put it in storage somewhere. We have a forecast 32* this weekend, so I need to take care of this before I end up with any damage.

I'm thinking of leaving my regular storage facility for underground cave storage here in KC. They're climate controlled storage that is 61-70* year round. They're dehumidified so there's no musty smell, no dust in there, or anything of that nature.

Is there any reason to "winterize" the boat if it's sitting in 61-70* temperatures during the off season? I'd change the fluids and drain the boat out of existing water, but past that is there really any reason to fill the block with anti-freeze? Seems like overkill...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
you definitely want to fog the cylinders since it'll be sitting for awhile too. if you dry block it, it'll be fine
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
I would if it was my boat. It doesn't take long to do and you'll have a piece of mind should the power cut out at the storage facility. I would also fog the cylinders if the boat isn't going to be started on a regular basis. The same goes for treating the gas if the boat isn't going to be ran, especially with a carbed motor.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
MC Maniac

I planned to treat the gas, good call on the fogging guys. Luckily I don't have to worry about the power going out, as all it does is turn the lights on and off. The place is a cave, so the natural temperature without any heating/cooling aid is 61-70* year round.

This is the spot: http://www.subtropolis.biz/
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
In Kansas, I would. If you can run the engine 1x a month (which I do here in ft Worth), all i do is drain the block, manifolds and hoses.. none of the other stuff

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Treat the fuel, change the oil, fog the cylinders, moth balls in plastic containers around the boat, battery/s on a maintainer. Should be good to go after that.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesGr8 View Post
Treat the fuel, change the oil, fog the cylinders, moth balls in plastic containers around the boat, battery/s on a maintainer. Should be good to go after that.
What are the moth balls for? I pull the batteries out and keep them at home in the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
In Kansas, I would. If you can run the engine 1x a month (which I do here in ft Worth), all i do is drain the block, manifolds and hoses.. none of the other stuff
I'd rather just fog it and forget about it until I pull it out in the spring. It tends to stay cold here for long periods of time, and the last thing I want to be doing is draining a block when its sub 30 degree temps out. haha.

Sounds like after work I'll be going to the lake for one last hurrah and to get some fuel treatment through the system. Thanks for the helpful info everyone.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Sounds like after work I'll be going to the lake for one last hurrah and to get some fuel treatment through the system. Thanks for the helpful info everyone.
Man you gonna go through some serious withdrawl symptoms...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Man you gonna go through some serious withdrawl symptoms...
I know. It's ok though... I enjoy snow skiing as much as being on the water, and my family has a couple places out in Colorado, so that will keep me happy while it's cold.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I don't think you will have any worry with the block freezing. However, there are some corrosion inhibition benefits from filling your block with Propylene Glycol (RV Antifreeze). I store my boat in an attached garage in northeast Texas. I do the antifreeze these days just for whatever corrosion protection it may provide.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.