Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 08-25-2016, 08:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-Star MCX
disconnect batteries?

Local Mastercraft dealer asked if I wanted to have my batteries disconnected for the winter when they winterize the boat? What is best? Any benefits either way from what the manual says? Thanks?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
all my boats - I always remove battery from boat for "ugh" winter.. will boat be stored outside? I personally dont like a battery sitting in any vehicle unused for 6 months or more.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
batteries should be removed and stored where they won't freeze with a trickle charger attached
Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

It will be inside for the winter, I was thinking about having them at the house and charging them up about once a month. It will not harm anything on the boat to have them out for that long?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
You want them disconnected. Even when turned off by the power switch you can see the auto bilge pumps are on stand by, causing a drain. The batteries could really use a break of 0 drain on them and the winter is a perfect opportunity.

I personally remove mine and keep in my heated garage while my boat stays in the boat storage unit. I charge them by trickle charge and let them sit all winter then re charge with a trcikle charge right before I install them. I will usually carry them bu Oreiley's on the way to the lake and get a test. This year my batteries were 6 years old even though I've never had a problems I knew my time was coming due. This year I carried them by Oreiley's again and one showed as weak. Not willing to take a chance I ordered two brand new Interstate replacements installed and as expected works like a charm.

I find this is a winning combination knowing you're not going to be stranded on the lake with a dead battery.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
You want them disconnected. Even when turned off by the power switch you can see the auto bilge pumps are on stand by, causing a drain. The batteries could really use a break of 0 drain on them and the winter is a perfect opportunity.

I personally remove mine and keep in my heated garage while my boat stays in the boat storage unit. I charge them by trickle charge and let them sit all winter then re charge with a trcikle charge right before I install them. I will usually carry them bu Oreiley's on the way to the lake and get a test. This year my batteries were 6 years old even though I've never had a problems I knew my time was coming due. This year I carried them by Oreiley's again and one showed as weak. Not willing to take a chance I ordered two brand new Interstate replacements installed and as expected works like a charm.

I find this is a winning combination knowing you're not going to be stranded on the lake with a dead battery.
Sounds like a good plan, will do the same.. Thanks again!!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: pontoon
If the boat has a main battery switch, then OFF is already disconnecting them. As to the auto bilge causing a drain simply being connected, id like to see an amp meter on that wire. If there is a draw, you have a faulty pump.

As long as a battery is kept at a reasonable level of charge, it will not freeze. If there is access to a 110 AC outlet, installing a marine onboard charger is the way to go. No need to haul batteries in and out of the boat, keeping track of a bunch of battery cables, etc.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
this is interesting. I keep my boat on a hydrohoist at the marina year round and yes it get's below freezing. I have used a battery tender on mine year round have never had a issue and battery is 4 years old.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post

how can that be if battery connection off? unless wired directly to battery
Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
how can that be if battery connection off? unless wired directly to battery

Because on 08 and newer boats the auto bilge pump is wire directly to the battery. But, I don't think they draw any current until the water level goes over the turn on point.