Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 11-12-2016, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
Help dont' want to damage my engine

So I have decided to create an open loop system in my driveway to warm up my engine. I have the fresh air exhaust installed and a large capacity bucket (maybe 30 gallon) underneath it filled with water. I took off the hose to the inlet of my raw water pump and put this on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This hose is placed in the bucket to draw water.

I drained the block by removing the knock sensor on the port side and drain plug on the starboard side and used the quick disconnect for the exhaust manifolds.

when I turn the boat on water isn't being sucked up, should it be? Do I need to wait for it to get to temperature before water gets pulled?

This worked the other night when I changed the engine oil, but there was at least water in the engine to circulate, now there isn't any.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-12-2016, 11:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
In theory your system should work. I did much the same -- just with a bucket beside the engine and a shorter hose. Did you drain everything before trying this? I wonder if the pump maybe lost its prime so it won't suck? Dunno if it needs to be primed but give it a try. Or maybe the length of the hose from your bucket and the height differential is too much for the pump.

That's all I can think of.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
So I have decided to create an open loop system in my driveway to warm up my engine. I have the fresh air exhaust installed and a large capacity bucket (maybe 30 gallon) underneath it filled with water. I took off the hose to the inlet of my raw water pump and put this on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This hose is placed in the bucket to draw water.

I drained the block by removing the knock sensor on the port side and drain plug on the starboard side and used the quick disconnect for the exhaust manifolds.

when I turn the boat on water isn't being sucked up, should it be? Do I need to wait for it to get to temperature before water gets pulled?

This worked the other night when I changed the engine oil, but there was at least water in the engine to circulate, now there isn't any.

Am I missing something?

Sounds like a closed loop system. No make up water is being added right? Should work, watch to see how long your suction hose ends up being. The longer the hose the less NPSH you have and the more trouble your impeller has to overcome the air in the empty suction hose.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
In theory your system should work. I did much the same -- just with a bucket beside the engine and a shorter hose. Did you drain everything before trying this? I wonder if the pump maybe lost its prime so it won't suck? Dunno if it needs to be primed but give it a try. Or maybe the length of the hose from your bucket and the height differential is too much for the pump.

That's all I can think of.
I draining the quick release hoses at the back of each manifold and the two engine plugs. I didn't drain the impeller.

I was able to get the impeller to suck the other night, but maybe I just need to shorten the hose now.

I basically just want to make sure I can run the engine to temperature without causing damage.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmonet View Post
Sounds like a closed loop system. No make up water is being added right? Should work, watch to see how long your suction hose ends up being. The longer the hose the less NPSH you have and the more trouble your impeller has to overcome the air in the empty suction hose.
I would only add make up water to the bucket if needed. So it's a pseudo closed loop system where no water is intended to be added or drained, but I can add if needed.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X15, 1997 Prostar LT1
You probably already did this, but check to make sure the intake hose doesn't have leak, and the connection to the Raw water pump is tight. Might be sucking air. Another concern now would be the impeller itself and if it gave it up.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Just place the water hose directly into the intake hose turn the water on and start the boat the extra water will run into the hull and out the drain. I'm not sure why everyone goes through all this elaborate engineering when all your trying to do is provide water to the impeller for lubrication and water to the motor to keep it from overheating.....

if water is coming out the exhaust then it's getting water. If not it's not getting water and the impeller will be the first for damage, the engine will only be damaged if it gets too hot which would take a while at idle in a driveway. So you would probably have to walk off and forget about it.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

I figured out the problem. My hose rubbed against one of the wheels and got punctured. I cut off that piece at it worked great after that. Thanks all for your input!