Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Trailer tires

Hey guys,

I'm need to order some new trailer tires for next year for a tandem axel trailer. Any brands/tires you would recommend and those you would steer clear from?

Looks like the old ones on there now are "Freestar radial"? I've never heard of those, but then again I've never purchased trailer tires either. Would you recommend those to use again? The tread life is good, but the sidewalls have started to crack. I'm not sure if that is just because of tire's age or the quality of the actual tire.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM

If they are 5 years old or older, replace them whether you need to or not.

I have carlisles and no issues, but they are also only a season old.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
If they are 5 years old or older, replace them whether you need to or not.

I have carlisles and no issues, but they are also only a season old.

Yeah, that's what I planned on doing. I'm not taking any chances and want to replace this offseason. I was just asking about the cracking in regards to that brand. I didn't know if what is on it was a bad brand or not.

They are 205 75/r14's in case anyone's curious.

I guess I should also say that my towing consists of only around 500 miles a year on average.

Last edited by Hogwild; 10-01-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
I'd go with Kuhmo or Maxxis...I've heard really good things about both.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Yeah, that's what I planned on doing. I'm not taking any chances and want to replace this offseason. I was just asking about the cracking in regards to that brand. I didn't know if what is on it was a bad brand or not.

They are 205 75/r14's in case anyone's curious.
cracking, also called dry rot, is a normal occurrence for rubber tires that have had too much exposure to sunlight and other elements. It will happen to both best and worst brands. I'm actually not one to ask about tires b/c I bought mine new at a local store for cheap (along with brand-new steel rims). One of them happens to be a Carlisle though. I've pulled the trailer 600+ miles on them and they work fine though.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-Dog View Post
I'd go with Kuhmo or Maxxis...I've heard really good things about both.
Yeah, I'm reading some old threads. Seems Kuhmo's, Maxxis, or the Gladiator's are the tires a lot of members have gone with. Just wondering after a season or two what their feedback is??

Also, I know nothing about tires, so what load rating should I make sure these tires have? I'm pulling a Maristar 230 on a tandem. Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I have heard of the Freestar tires but not in the good way, though I have no first hand knowledge. The cracking, as strad explained, is from exposure to the sun. Cheap tires may crack sooner due to inferior quality materials. Be that as it may, exposure to the sun is hard on all tires. That is why the RV market buys so many vinyl tire covers. It is a cheap way to ensure getting five years out of your tires. I would stay away from the dreaded Marathon, and tires you have never heard of. The price difference between a good trailer tire and a lousy trailer tire is only a few bucks. Even on a tandem axle trailer, the price difference is less than $100. I can't think of many guys that while standing on the side of the road with a flat tire that wouldn't slide their debit card through the "make this all go away machine". That being said, is a Maxxis or a Kumho a better tire than a Carlisle or a Gladiator, based on the price difference between them? I don't think so.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
I would stay away from the GoodYear Marathons , had a blowout this summer and replace them with Maxxis, nice looking tires and have had no problem, tire dealers said that is what he sales the most of now and no problems
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '95 BF200 Yamaha ProV 200, '94 PS190 LT1 1:1
Why is it that when I search for tires at Discountire.com that the Kumhos in 21570R14 are not available in my zip code...tried a bunch of other zips and same message.

I need to eventually replace all 4 tires on my trailer and have had great experiences with DT for our cars and trucks.

Maybe, I just need to call over there...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Why is it that when I search for tires at Discountire.com that the Kumhos in 21570R14 are not available in my zip code...tried a bunch of other zips and same message.

I need to eventually replace all 4 tires on my trailer and have had great experiences with DT for our cars and trucks.

Maybe, I just need to call over there...
Rockman talk to "thatsmrmastercraft" he may be able to get you a deal.