Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
Better buy while you can!!

http://www.examiner.com/article/sena...lt-weapons-ban
Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Not necessarily for CC, but I went out looking for something today- the four that fit best (I have really big hands) were Sig SP2022, Smith & Wesson M&P9/40, Ruger SR9/SR40 and Beretta 92FS. Any opinions that could help me decide? Anything to watch out for, WRT reliability, etc?

Last time I fired a S&W 9mm was fine from the accuracy standpoint but I really didn't like the slide biting my hand. These all fit better and that's actually more important to me than brand.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I have been looking for my first gun for while now. I want something for CC (mostly in my glovebox) and I think I have decided on the Ruger SR9. It fits my hand the best also.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniversary XStar
I'm just starting to look for a weapon for myself. We have a Kahr 40 and a S&W 40 in the family but I think they are a bit big/heavy for what I need. You guys seem to be pretty knowledgable and I'm looking for suggestions.

I have been training as a handler for a Search and Rescue dog for a while now. He is a trailing dog and we do both urban and wilderness work. I've been thinking about carrying while we are doing training in the wilderness mostly. We can go from sea level up to 7000 foot elevation. Most times I will have just a day pack but there will be times I have a 3 day pack that weighs at least 30-40 lbs. So size and weight of a weapon is an issue. We do come across bears & mountain lions, but rattle snakes are my biggest concern for not just me but my dog as well.

I've heard good and bad on revolvers and semi auto. Being female my hands are on the small side. I plan on using snake shot. What else?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
My new CC piece...

Springfield XDS .45...LOVE it!

Previous carry gun was an LCP .380. Tried an XDM .40 (4.5") but it was too heavy and bulky.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
My new EDC system.
My trusty Kel-Tec P3AT .380 and my new CM40. I am looking for a IWB holster right now. I also have Winchester Ranger T 180gr on order for the Kahr.
Is the pocket clip on the Kel-Tec aftermarket or did it come with the gun? That would be handy on an LCP. I bet it could be adapted to a number of guns. Neat idea.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
I ordered it from Kel Tec.

I googled it, and there is options for the LCP. Check out the google search here... https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1...+for+Ruger+LCP

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Last edited by DooSPX; 11-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2M View Post
I'm just starting to look for a weapon for myself. We have a Kahr 40 and a S&W 40 in the family but I think they are a bit big/heavy for what I need. You guys seem to be pretty knowledgable and I'm looking for suggestions.

I have been training as a handler for a Search and Rescue dog for a while now. He is a trailing dog and we do both urban and wilderness work. I've been thinking about carrying while we are doing training in the wilderness mostly. We can go from sea level up to 7000 foot elevation. Most times I will have just a day pack but there will be times I have a 3 day pack that weighs at least 30-40 lbs. So size and weight of a weapon is an issue. We do come across bears & mountain lions, but rattle snakes are my biggest concern for not just me but my dog as well.

I've heard good and bad on revolvers and semi auto. Being female my hands are on the small side. I plan on using snake shot. What else?

Good on Revolvers- Basically the most reliable of all handguns. The bad- 5 or 6 shots only, and thats about it. I love Revolvers, and have a couple.

I recommend a full size, or compact (NOT SUB Compact) Polymer Semi Auto in a .40 if you are concerned about the Bears and Mountain Lions, with decent amount of rounds per mag. Ruger, Glock, any that can give you 9-15 rounds. Example, the Ruger SR40. up to 15+1 and only 27.5 oz. If Snakes are your main concern, then a 9mm will serve you good.
Since you are going to be out on trails and whatnot, I recommend you have higher capacity then what is generally used in Sub Compact Personal Defense. A .40 that has the expansion (with a good JHP such as Federal HST or Winchester Ranger) close to that of a .45 with the 1000 +/- fps, is the best round IMO. Most Government agencies, FBI, Border Patrol, etc use the .40 S&W.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Last edited by DooSPX; 11-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniversary XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
Good on Revolvers- Basically the most reliable of all handguns. The bad- 5 or 6 shots only, and thats about it. I love Revolvers, and have a couple.

I recommend a full size, or compact (NOT SUB Compact) Polymer Semi Auto in a .40 if you are concerned about the Bears and Mountain Lions, with decent amount of rounds per mag. Ruger, Glock, any that can give you 9-15 rounds. Example, the Ruger SR40. up to 15+1 and only 27.5 oz. If Snakes are your main concern, then a 9mm will serve you good.
Since you are going to be out on trails and whatnot, I recommend you have higher capacity then what is generally used in Sub Compact Personal Defense. A .40 that has the expansion (with a good JHP such as Federal HST or Winchester Ranger) close to that of a .45 with the 1000 +/- fps, is the best round IMO. Most Government agencies, FBI, Border Patrol, etc use the .40 S&W.
Thank you DooSPX! I am more concerned about the snakes than the bears/mountain lions. But I do not want to be come face to face with a bear or mountain lion and not be prepared. I will check out the ones you have recommended. Hopefully one will feel right.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
@X2M, to protect your dog from snake bite the best thing you can do is find a hunting dog club in your area that has a "De-Snaking" event. Pay a small fee and they expose your dog to defanged snakes and when your dog approaches the snake he will be hit by with a shock collar pretty hard. After a couple times your dog will do anything to avoid any kind of snake. Well worth the the time and money. My bird dogs learned real fast to hate snakes.