Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88' MC Prostar
88' Prostar Speedometer Issues

I have an 88' Prostar which has the brass tubes in the back of the boat between the Pitot and the speedometer. I have found out that it is common for the tubes to be an issue. Both of mine have the top and bottom comming off which means a really wet boat and no speedometer. I spoke to Skidim, but they do not have replacements any more. I've tried duct tape, even JB weld nothing seems to work.
Any ideas are appreciated

Thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall_ andy
I have an 88' Prostar which has the brass tubes in the back of the boat between the Pitot and the speedometer. I have found out that it is common for the tubes to be an issue. Both of mine have the top and bottom comming off which means a really wet boat and no speedometer. I spoke to Skidim, but they do not have replacements any more. I've tried duct tape, even JB weld nothing seems to work.
Any ideas are appreciated

Thanks
There are a couple options, Andy. First, check with a few dealers in the area, not only MC, but Nautique and Malibu as well. Other older boats used this style of ballast resovoir for the Air Guide speedo, and you can sometimes find them in spare parts departments.

Secondly, you can take your damaged ballast to any radiator shop and they can repair it. Just let them know what you want done, and they'll fix you up. Hopefully that helps, and if not, you could always install in a paddle wheel based system, or Perfect Pass and eliminate the mechanical speedo's all together.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88' MC Prostar
Pete,
I have perfect pass so that is what I use primarily, but it is nice to have the speedo working also. I will try a radiator shop
Thanks

Andy
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I had the bottom come off of one of mine and I used fast set epoxy. It works like a champ now.

Also, I've seen JimN say that you can solder these as well. I've never tried it, but I believe Jim.