Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 LT-1
paint instead of gel coat

I recently purchased a 1994 PS 190. When preparing to repair some scratches in the colored gel coat prior to reconditioning the full boat, I was confused because there was a fine edge on the top and bottom of the color band which I wouldn't have expected with a gel coat. After consulting a boat restorer it turns out to have been painted. Has anyone else run into this? Is it possible to get back to the original gel coat?

Lee
Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Oh wow...I have no idea but that sucks for you my! best of luck!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Low of the previous owner to not disclose that it was painted,is be choked. My first reaction is to tell you to get your money back.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
There is no way to know what kind of damage lies under the paint. There are some threads on here showing people finding ungodly amounts of filler etc. I know it sucks but you are probably opening a can of worms that could in reality cost more than the boat itself. I'd use it and call it a lesson learned or sell it with full disclosure and get a different boat.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Wow, such gloom and doom. Does the paint match the gel, or was it a color change?
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I was in that situation, although based on what you've said I think my situation was worse. Here is a tread on my restoration. I am still working though getting the boat to where I am happy with it but it has come a long long way. I am not sure if I would ever go through it again, but for my situation it worked out well.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=50251
Old 05-15-2015, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star MCX
How much of the boat has been painted?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:03 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. Only the color strip is painted. but it does have some runs up under the fore deck which, of course I didn't see we I inspected the boat. That's only the most recent issue. It had a completely hidden ( JB weld, black paint, wire bundle re located to cover) cracked block. Last season was taken up with that repair. Turned out to have ingested a valve spring so I was going to be a dead motor sooner or later.

Talked with a shop that does restoration, their recommendation was to repair the scratches, etc and repaint. Re-gel coating they say is way $$$$. My MCOCD is struggling. But since I haven't even been in the water with it yet, I think I'll wait for winter. I may strip the paint just to see since it would need a thorough sanding anyway. I've had good luck with Dumond Peelaway Smart Strip Pro.

College Kid I'll watch you link with interest.

Thanks everyone and if you've had experience stripping paint off gel coat please pip up

This forum could use a guide/check list of what to look for in a used boat. ie: some fools actually paint over gel coat, or where to look for a cracked block. I'm sure our collective experiences would cover just about everything.

Lee

Last edited by lmunson; 05-15-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 05-15-2015, 05:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunson View Post

This forum could use a guide/check list of what to look for in a used boat.

Lee
There is a checklist here as well as a wealth of other information. One has to learn from hours upon hours of reading. Search out key words for more information. There is not one single question that anyone can ask that has not already been answered somewhere along the way (other than the Dr. Phil - "What should I do with my life, my truck, my in-laws, and my 100 year loan for a boat" type questions).

That paint (repair) is not as big of an issue as it may seem. Time and a little money to get the gel sprayed is feasible. Most of the cost (from a shop) comes from time involved is from preparation (sanding down) and finishing (after the gel spray). If you can find a gel guy to do the job, your labor is free (pre and post work). Sand it down right on into the surface of the original gel (eliminating tedious precautions) and spray back over it. I just posted here a few weeks back about a guy one could talk to to get the straight skinny (from experience) on this very topic. I'd also add flake to the gel....no better time to add the flake.

You need to find the seller and kick him right square in the nuts. Nothing held back.
66 Million Suckers.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-15-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 PM
TT Newbie

Hi College Kid
Awesome job and yes mine is not as severe as your is. The only part that is painted is the color band and I'm hoping that there is not much/any hidden damage.
So it been a year or so since you've finished, how has the gel coat patches held up? any color difference or bonding issues?
I may need your PM for those mid project pep talks and guidance.
I think I'll go the striping route and if the original gel coat is damaged I'll probable go with a marine paint. I'm 60 and don't really want to spend a winter sanding plus I'm in NC our winters are short.

The wrap sounds kind of cool except way to expensive for a boat this old (1994), I don't know how will it would hold up, and as Kyle pointed out - my taste might not be a selling point.

Tags
gel coat, painted body