Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
The "typewriter". Not only boring to watch but using the same muscles tires quicker.

Agree slow down. Work on surface 180's either sliding the board or hop switching. This will then lead to surface 360's.
If he is too concerned with "going big" to show off, work on it on a week night with no one else out.
Last few times out he did not even get in the water - "it's too cold". He has a wet suit! Freaking teenager. I would have killed for a boat and to be wakeboarding when I was his age.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
The "typewriter". Not only boring to watch but using the same muscles tires quicker.

Agree slow down. Work on surface 180's either sliding the board or hop switching. This will then lead to surface 360's.
If he is too concerned with "going big" to show off, work on it on a week night with no one else out.
He has a pretty good Ollie - good height. I try to convince him to try a 180, suggesting a slower speed - no go. Then he turns around and says he would like to go to a wakeboard camp. I hesitant to kick the $ when he will not get behind our boat and practice. He'll have to kick in some of his funds to show me he is serious enough about it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I turned 40 this year and will admit to feeling less cold water motivation than 3 years ago. Up til the past two, we always did a Thanksgiving run.
Water temp is 43 and I winterized last weekend, the earliest in the 8 yrs I have owned the boat.

You sound decently grounded vs people that are putting their kids into multiple high $$$ sport camps.
When I was actually trying to progress (vs worring about how much work I would lose if I landed wrong), I had my biggest gains when we had a 4-5 man crew that was focused on progressive riding. We rode every Thursday night and Sunday afternoon took video of each other. Reviewed it once a week and watched a set of instructional DVD's.
If he wants to improve over the winter, some gymnastics centers may have a wake board session time to practice flips on a tramp and into the foam pit. One of the guys was an aspiring amature and worked on it a winter or two.
Maybe spring for a day instruction when the pro's come to around for a local/regional promotional event.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 AM
MC Devotee

I've turned 52, just started wakeboarding and this is my second season. I also just took up snowboarding last season after 36 years of snow skiing. LoL.

I'm going to go out Thanksgiving just to say I did it. I will most likely be wearing my 7MM wet suit I use for scuba diving - I'll hardly need a PFD with all that floatation.

He already goes to a jumping place and can do front and back flips. His friend has a trampoline. My daughter is getting a trampoline for her 12th birthday. We have both The Book and Detention 2012 instructional DVDs. We have some local pros that offer lessons. I'll most likely spring for some lessons but I want to see him at least start attempting to ride switch first.

Well, I just keep leading him to water and see if he starts drinking...