Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC X2 08 mcx 350 sws
No fuel pump / no fuel jauge

Hi, I could use some help understand an issue on my '08 X2, with Indmar 350 mcx:
Sympoms are no fuel pump / no ignition / no fuel jauge; occured once for a day a month ago; didn't do a thing and eveything worked fine next day!

Same "no start" issue occured again last week (no fuel pump, no ignition , no fuel jauge). The engine cranks ok, but doesn't start.
Checked the basics (security switch on, neutral on, fuel at 1/2 level);
hot wired the fuel pump and it runs ok.
checked the 20 amps fuses at the engine: all 3 are OK
interchange the 3 relays, and same (engine cranks but no fuel pump on)
disconnect the boat harness, and tried to hot wire the engine on the alternator: same: no fuel pump, no ignition )

Looks like the engine in security because it sees no fuel. i disconnect the fuel sender unit, but have the same.

Any one with a clue at what's going on before I turn the issue to the dealer?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Boat: 06 X30
If the engine cranks but you get no gauges I would suggest relooking at the safety lanyard. Sometimes they look like they are pushing the button but just not far enough. You may try pushing it in with your thumb. Even then, the switch could be bad and you might try bypassing it for testing purposes.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by '08 X2 View Post
Hi, I could use some help understand an issue on my '08 X2, with Indmar 350 mcx:
Sympoms are no fuel pump / no ignition / no fuel jauge; occured once for a day a month ago; didn't do a thing and eveything worked fine next day!

Same "no start" issue occured again last week (no fuel pump, no ignition , no fuel jauge). The engine cranks ok, but doesn't start.
Checked the basics (security switch on, neutral on, fuel at 1/2 level);
hot wired the fuel pump and it runs ok.
checked the 20 amps fuses at the engine: all 3 are OK
interchange the 3 relays, and same (engine cranks but no fuel pump on)
disconnect the boat harness, and tried to hot wire the engine on the alternator: same: no fuel pump, no ignition )

Looks like the engine in security because it sees no fuel. i disconnect the fuel sender unit, but have the same.

Any one with a clue at what's going on before I turn the issue to the dealer?
Look for a circuit breaker (red button) near the plug that connects the engine harness to the boat harness. Push it in and see if it fires up.

Make sure the ground wire at the rear of the engine isn't loose/corroded and the cables are clean and tight at the battery posts. This isn't just by looking at them without removing, either.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
ditto what jim said. if you open the rear compartment it's just down below the ski pylon on the front of the engine.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
TT Newbie

Thks to you; I already by-passed the safety landyard, as well the engine red circuit breaker. Grounds wires have been removed, clean up and tighten up. Got 0,4 ohm impedance between batteries' ground and ECM. that 's good enough?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thks to you; I already by-passed the safety landyard, as well the engine red circuit breaker. Grounds wires have been removed, clean up and tighten up. Got 0,4 ohm impedance between batteries' ground and ECM. that 's good enough?
.1 Ohms from the battery posts, not the cable ends, to the sensors & ECM is ideal.

The fuel pump grounds to the rear of the engine- measure from the pump to the block and see what you have for resistance. Also, make sure you have 12VDC at all of the relays and fuses.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 AM
TT Newbie

Have 0.2 ohm from pump grounds to engine and 0.3 from ECM to battery post. and I read 12DC at 3 relays and fuses.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Have 0.2 ohm from pump grounds to engine and 0.3 from ECM to battery post. and I read 12DC at 3 relays and fuses.
When you turn the key to ON, do you hear a buzzing sound for about 3 seconds? You may need to open the engine cover to hear it. If not, turn the key to OFF and measure for voltage at the fuel pump relay tab 85 or 86. You should also see a red wire going to tab 30 on the relay. This may be constant voltage or it may only be present when you turn the key to ON. If you have voltage on 85 or 86, insert the meter's probe into the other side and set the meter for continuity and turn the key to ON again and look for the meter to show continuity to ground's for the 3 seconds. If you have a connection to ground for this time period but still don't hear the pump buzzing, measure for continuity from the fuel pump's ground to the battery- it should be a low resistance connection. Then, measure voltage on the fuel pump's pink wire when the key is turned to ON- again, it should last for 3 seconds when you turn the key to ON. If you see no voltage, check the terminals on the fuel pump relay socket. If you have voltage at the pump but it still doesn't want to operate and you are able/willing, your pump's connector may be bad- look for loose terminals and evidence of arcing on the pins and terminals. You may need to replace the plug, but verify the pump's operation first- you would need to connect the pump to power, but it needs to be done carefully to avoid having the wires touch. You should also have a fuse on the + wire when you test this.

If you don't have
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM
TT Newbie

Hi; no buzz, and no voltage at 85 nor 86, even when I turn key On; 12DC only on tab 30 - constant.