Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Ever been to jail?

Someone wanted to hear a going to jail story in the SRT thread, and I didn't want to derail it, so here's my story.

The summer after my victory lap of college (2007) I bought an 89 Monterey bowrider with a seized up lower unit. Had it rebuilt and used it all summer. I never bothered changing the registration because it had a current year tag on it, so I figured I wouldn't be bothered. Well I was out on the boat with some friends one night just sitting in a cove at the local lake in Lawrence, KS minding my own business when a water patrol came and did a boat check. Found out I wasnt on the registration, but luckily I knew the persons name who was on it. He gave me a ticket for not having it registered in my name, and at that time in Kansas they'd just mail you a ticket rather than giving it to you on the spot. Well... I moved out of Lawrence to Kansas City a couple weeks later and never received the ticket, forgot about, and fast forward to 2009 when I'm coming home from a job interview. Mind you this is in the middle of the freaking day on Valentines Day of 2009. I get lasered doing 10mph over... cop comes after me, I pull over... all is good... or not. I'm sitting in my car for what seems like forever when the cop finally comes back after checking my license and insurance. He asks me to get out of the car and come back to his car with him, which isn't out of the norm. I've sat in the front seat of patrol cars many times while officers write me tickets for stupid crap like window tint and not having a front license plate on my car. I have a clean record despite being pulled over for speeding a few times, because I always just end up paying double the fine to have things go away... you know... since revenue is more important than safety.

Anyway, I'm walking towards the officers car when he tells me to put my hands on my head, and that I'm under arrest. I said to him... are you serious? And he just repeated himself so I complied. Dude puts me in the cuffs are like a solid cuff. Not the ones with the chain between each cuff, but rather a solid piece of steel. One of my arms is twisted all over the place while the other one is basically jabbing into lower back, and I have no movement whatsoever. So here I am on the side of Interstate-35 in Kansas... about 2 miles from the Missouri border where I'd have been home free... standing there in slacks, button up shirt, nice shoes, a tie, etc.

So the cop puts me in the front seat all handcuffed and unable to sit like a normal person. My upper body is leaning so far forward that my head is basically one with the cops passenger side sun visor due to the way my arms were positioned, and I ask what they're going to do with my car. He said he already called metro to come tow it. I'm thinking... dammit! There's another 180 bucks if I don't do something about it. I asked the cop if I can call my buddy to come pick it up, and he says sure if he can beat the tow company there, he can take it away. Since it's physically impossible for me to reach my phone with my arms positioned the way they were, the cop was nice enough to undo the cuffs, put them in front of me and put them back on allowing me to get into my pocket and call my buddy. I get ahold of him, he ends up racing down and getting my car with his girlfriend about 45 seconds before the tow truck got there. Thank god.

So off I go to jail, and still have not been told why I'm going to jail. I had current tags, no speeding tickets, current insurance, current drivers license that wasn't suspended...everything was good. The only thing the cop knew at the time was that I had a bench warrant from a traffic incident in Douglas county - which is where Lawrence, KS is located.

I told my buddy that got my car, who happened to be my roommate at the time, to keep his phone handy so I could call him to tell him how much money it will take to bail me out. I memorize his cell phone number on the way to the slammer and am hoping for the best. As they're booking me in, they make sure to take my shoelaces out of my dress shoes, take my tie, and take my belt. I can understand the tie and belt, but shoelaces? Their reasoning was so I didn't hang myself... because that's definitely the first thing that's on my mind... hanging myself for what I eventually find out is a boating ticket.

So I finally get booked in and head to the phone to tell my buddy he needs to bring $166 to the jail/courthouse to get me out of the place. I pick up the phone, dial my buddies cell phone number COLLECT, identify myself as "INMATE MICHAEL ZIMMERMAN" and wait for the stupid operator to tell me that cell phones are not available to make calls to from the wyandotte county jail. Crap.... gotta call the only home phone number I know by heart... my parents. Call my parents, who are more than a little surprised to get a call from INMATE MICHAEL ZIMMERMAN at the WYANDOTTE COUNTY JAIL. lol. I explain the situation to my dad, ask him to call my buddies cell phone and relay messages using my dad as a third party, and 5 hours later I'm out of that hell hole.

Until I went to court, I still had no idea why I was arrested. I was finally able to see the ticket that the water patrol eventually sent me, to which I never paid or showed up to court due to not ever getting it, to eventually leading to a warrant for my arrest due to a failure to appear.

It sucked... I ain't neva going back!

Cool thing was, the cop dropped my speeding ticket for the day, since he clearly knew I wasn't having a good day to begin with. I was very respectful to the guy, and he was more than respectful to me and allowed me to make calls, etc to help my cause. He was a good dude despite taking me to jail... but I guess he had to.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Hahaha, I have a very similar story.
Fresh out of college and married we move to Albuquerque from Chicago.
Money's tight so we sell my wifes Blazer to raise some cash, she drives my truck and I'm back in my old hi school car, 70 Impala.
Couple days into driving it again, paper tags, I gt stopped for rolling a stop sign. No proof of insurance as the ins co hasn't sent my new card with the car added. Get a no proof of ins ticket. Next morning I ge the ins co to fax my new policy to me showing that I had ins prior to getting pulled over. Take it to the court house, show them and the clerk tells me the ticket is dropped.
Fast forward about 2 yrs (not sure why this day was the day because I had had multiple speeding tickets in the prev 2 yrs), I'm driving down the mtn to work about 5am with my company truck loaded with tools. Get nabbed for 10 over, cop writes me a modest ticket and I'm on my way. Cpl miles later he pulls me over again. NOT for speeding. Get the "step out of your car" on the PA and get arrested for a bench warrant.
After questioning the cop several times he tells me it's for a failure to appear. I know damn well that I've gone to court evry time required. ANyway in a neffort to not leave my truck on hte side of the road to get ransacked I convince the cop to take me to the nearest ATM to get the money to bond out without going to the pokey.
Just as we're about to leave, his shift replacement shows up (who was also a seargant or something) and won't allowhim/me to go to the ATM.
I convince them to let me use the 2 way radio in the truck to call someone to pick up my truck, so I briefly explain while the cop is keying the mike for me.
Off to BCDC, drive through my hiway project, new cop is being an @ss to me, then I see all 3 of my crews standing out on the grade with their thumbs in hteir butts waitng for.............me to show up to work. I start giving the cop a ration of sh!t right back because hey he can't arrest me, right?
Get to BCDC, inner city county jail, about 7am they take all my stuff, belt, hat wallet, knife (why couldn't the cops have told me to leave my $100 pocket knife in the truck, they didn't pat me down or take it from me and they knew I had it.?) AND my boots! Not just the laces, but the whole boot because no steel toes in jail. Now I'm walking around on p!ss soaked floors with a bunch of gangstas that are all f'ed up and tweakin.
Oh, no phone call either, they said not until after lunch! ***! Good thing the guys at work called my wife. She was there by 8:30 with bail. They didn't let me out until 1pm. AND I didn't get my knife back for 3 weeks, it was "evidence" because it was a weapon.

All said and done, it was 100% a clerical error on the part of Bernalillo COunty, never did have to go to court, charges were dropped, bail refunded and 3 weeks later I was "allowed" to drive back to that sh!t hole and retreive my knife!

Not much love for the 5-0.

Next episode I'll explain how I lost my driving privledges in the state of WI for 7 years while still maintaining a valid DL. Or how I could possibly aggravatedly assault and batter not one but two police officers in my own front yard on a week night...sober! Stay tuned.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
I LOVE this thread... Rousted on Easter morning too long ago to remember the exact year. Answer the door when I'm greeted by 2 officers.. Good morning!! They inform me that there is a warrant for my arrest. They let me get some real clothes on while the are standing about a foot from me. They cuff me, place me into the cruiser and take me to local station for the county guys to pick me up. Actually real nice guys just doing their job. The county guys pick me up to transfer to county jail. I get to county and while I'm being processed they ask me to show my tattoos. I tell the guy that I don't have any tattoos. He again very sternly asks me to show him my tattoos. I take off my shirt hold out my arms and do the full turn to show that I don't have any tattoos. "You don't have any tatoos?...." What's your social security #?? Things got real quiet, papers were shuffled. Hushed conversations between county guys. They pull me out of booking where I'm informed it's all a big mix up. Good times!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
MC Maniac

I think the state would be compensating me for my time if that happened to me
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Holy lick. Tht sounds like a real crapshow.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
I LOVE this thread... Rousted on Easter morning too long ago to remember the exact year. Answer the door when I'm greeted by 2 officers.. Good morning!! They inform me that there is a warrant for my arrest. They let me get some real clothes on while the are standing about a foot from me. They cuff me, place me into the cruiser and take me to local station for the county guys to pick me up. Actually real nice guys just doing their job. The county guys pick me up to transfer to county jail. I get to county and while I'm being processed they ask me to show my tattoos. I tell the guy that I don't have any tattoos. He again very sternly asks me to show him my tattoos. I take off my shirt hold out my arms and do the full turn to show that I don't have any tattoos. "You don't have any tatoos?...." What's your social security #?? Things got real quiet, papers were shuffled. Hushed conversations between county guys. They pull me out of booking where I'm informed it's all a big mix up. Good times!!!
That's grounds for a tongue lashing there...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 mastercraft sportstar 19
I have been to jail 1000+ times......not the way this thread intended "Ever been to jail?"........being at jail is generally a happy occasion for me...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 AM
MC Master Poster

mzimme- just out of curiosity, you did fill out a change of address form with the USPS, right?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
mzimme- just out of curiosity, you did fill out a change of address form with the USPS, right?
Of course not... I had no bills at the time and I was 22 years old. Why on earth would I need to do that?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1972 MasterCraft w. Holman Moody
While in College at ETSU I was going to visit my girlfriend in GA. The trip took me thru NC, along the Smoky Mtns. I was going to meet her parents. I get clocked going 80 in a 55 and per the laws of that County at that time I had to go to jail. So I have to follow the cop to the jail - sit in a cell (the only cell they had) for several hours while they called a Judge to come down to the station. He arrives, I say I will be back for Court on Monday and they let me go. This is before cell phones so never called my girlfriend. I show up at her house five hours late - she asks, where were you....jail....her parents didnt think much of me after that.

Went to Court on Monday and paid my $100 fine.