Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Need more vertical on wakeboard jump

Well, I can get to the other wake consistently now. But now I need more vertical so I can start with some grabs and maybe progress to a back roll (that one might be a pipe dream at 51 years of age but who knows) at some point. Have a look at the video link below and let me know your thoughts on what I need to improve. It's about 1.5 minutes and it is actually the same jump repeated a few times. I have some actual speed and some slow-motion so that you can see what I'm doing better. Also the video software allowed me to zoom in and also pull a few stills from the footage. The video was taken from a GoPro mounted to the ski pole via a strap mount so it is what it is wrt video quality.

https://vimeo.com/50038921

The boat speed is 21.6. Line length is 60ft. Stock ballast full (port: 250, Star: 250, KGB: 300) on an X-15.

I think I know what I need to do but I want to hear comments first.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Looking great man, Really the only thing you need to concentrate on is standing tall at the wake. What that means is spring up off the top of it like a jump. You edge great and squat down nicely to build your speed. But somehow you start to stand back up as you go up the wake and then absorb the wake rather then "push off" the top of it.

Think of it like a jump off the ground. You squat and then you jump up by "standing tall". You want to use this same motion at the top of the wake. It will take a couple tries to get the timing down, but you just need to "pop off " the top of the wake. Right now your just riding up the wake with a great edge and your speed and board are giving you the air.........you legs are just kind of absorbing the wake a bit. In order to get that bit more of hang time you are looking for you need to really concentrate on standing tall and pop pining off the top of the wake from that bent knee stance you obtain when you cut.

Hope that makes sense.

Really concentrate on exaggerating your pop up on the first couple jumps til you perfect it

Here us a great quick tutorial from a great site. They also have a great low impact way to learn a backroll
http://www.learnwake.com/videos/hs-j...ng-tall-drill/

Last edited by swatguy; 09-24-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Like standing up off a chair.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
One more thing; at that speed/line length, the wake is really rounded, where you are hitting it. In addition to standing tall at the wake you need to adjust your speed/line length so that your take-off is right in front of where the wake starts to curl. At that point on the wake it will have a good lip to it and will help boost your vertical.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Actually standing tall means try to stiffen your legs when you hit the wake with knees slightly bent but stiff , you are absorbing all the energy with your knees
Think of riding up a ramp not jumping off a diving board
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM
MC Devotee

Ok, so those were the responses I was expecting. Believe it or not, I'm not absorbing the wake with my lower body as much as I was just a short while ago.

After watching the video, I likewise seen I'm still not standing as tall as I need to be. Funny, from the board it feels like I am, so I need to over exaggerate to get it correct. In particular, I think my back leg (right) when I hit the wake is more flexed than the front (left) - is that possible? I'm thinking practicing a slight Ollie (pushing down with the back leg) and use that technique at the top of the weight for more vertical. I'll go back to using a short swing out and get the feeling down; then working my way further out. That helped in the past.

I was also thinking that lengthening the rope will give me more time to do the progressive edge and giving me more time to get the correct timing.

Well, back to the drawing board (water) this weekend hopefully.

Thanks much all!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Like standing up off a chair.
I like that. I can practice that feeling out of the water.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Looking great man, Really the only thing you need to concentrate on is standing tall at the wake. What that means is spring up off the top of it like a jump. You edge great and squat down nicely to build your speed. But somehow you start to stand back up as you go up the wake and then absorb the wake rather then "push off" the top of it.

Think of it like a jump off the ground. You squat and then you jump up by "standing tall". You want to use this same motion at the top of the wake. It will take a couple tries to get the timing down, but you just need to "pop off " the top of the wake. Right now your just riding up the wake with a great edge and your speed and board are giving you the air.........you legs are just kind of absorbing the wake a bit. In order to get that bit more of hang time you are looking for you need to really concentrate on standing tall and pop pining off the top of the wake from that bent knee stance you obtain when you cut.

Hope that makes sense.

Really concentrate on exaggerating your pop up on the first couple jumps til you perfect it

Here us a great quick tutorial from a great site. They also have a great low impact way to learn a backroll
http://www.learnwake.com/videos/hs-j...ng-tall-drill/
Just looked at the url/video. It quit part way through because I don't have a subscription but it has a transcript which was really useful. It mentioned about the back leg being more difficult for the extension... So my thinking is now screwed up. Well maybe it is but that is a different subject. So I'll worry about the Ollie later and just concentrate on maximizing that extension to the point that I can for now. In particular concentrating on that back leg. That gives me a good drill to try on-water.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Ok, so those were the responses I was expecting. Believe it or not, I'm not absorbing the wake with my lower body as much as I was just a short while ago.

After watching the video, I likewise seen I'm still not standing as tall as I need to be. Funny, from the board it feels like I am, so I need to over exaggerate to get it correct. In particular, I think my back leg (right) when I hit the wake is more flexed than the front (left) - is that possible? I'm thinking practicing a slight Ollie (pushing down with the back leg) and use that technique at the top of the weight for more vertical. I'll go back to using a short swing out and get the feeling down; then working my way further out. That helped in the past.

I was also thinking that lengthening the rope will give me more time to do the progressive edge and giving me more time to get the correct timing.

Well, back to the drawing board (water) this weekend hopefully.

Thanks much all!
Maintain the same body position as the beginning of your cut you have a nice progressive edge but you crouch way too much right before you get to the wake. You are standing tall perfect at the cut so maintain that and use your ankles to keep your edge. The stiffer you are the more solid your pop will be. Also bring the handle to your waist gives you more leverage and lowers your center of gravity.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
Take rope to 70-75 ft, then don't go so wide to the outside, maybe increase speed of boat to 22-23. Go 10-15 ft past the trough of the wake then turn in hard towards the wake. When you get to the wake stay on the progressive edge and push back from the boat in a tall position. You will find that you will get pushed higher than long, load and release is the trick.

If you want to stay at 60 foot on the rope then slow the boat down to around 19 or 20, the wake will stand up at that speed, but 70 foot is about right for a nice wide wake, 60 ft makes the wake too narrow and flat at 21.6.

Good luck!

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"