Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2004, 03:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Covered or uncovered?

So, do you guys use your covers while trailering? And why is it done that way? Looking to buy my first MC this weekend, and am trying to learn as much as possible. Have to trailer boat home 1100 miles!!! It is a 2000 MC Prostar 190, and I can't wait.

Also, anybody have any problems with the 2000's other than the seat skins. (I already read that thread!)
Old 09-01-2004, 03:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Congrats on the new MC!!!

I only cover it in the rain, or long trips..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 09-01-2004, 03:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs
I only cover in rain. I find my boat harder to tow with the cover on, it seems to act as a parachute. It also seems to strech it out.

Good luck with the trip and new boat! I am currently looking for a "new to me" boat also.

Since you are going that far with a boat you basicly know nothing about I would suggest taking a small toolbox with items to fix trailer lights, grease bearings and to change a flat trailer tire.

Just my .02
Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Thumbs up

Good point about the tool kit

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 09-01-2004, 03:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Supposedly, everything is in working order. It is through a dealership, so hopefully they are being truthful. I will definetly be spending some time checking everything out, and will also spend a couple hours on the water.

I will bring tools though. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
Generally if you have cover for it that fits properly and the cover is "trailerable", you should have no real problem with it. I like to have mine on when travelling because you never know when it will rain. It will however, reduce the life expectancy of your cover. Just no way around that. Good luck and make sure your trailer tires are properly inflated.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If this is the sunbrella (or blended) duck gray (or whatever color) cover with canvas padding underneath it (as opposed to the "snap-in" variety), I wouldn't use it while towing. If it moves around (and it will), it will rub the gel coat. If there's any dirt in the cover (and there probably is), it acts like sandpaper and can work your gel coat over and make it quite rough. I speak from personal experience here. I only trailered with my cover 3 times (because it was raining). The result was the the gel coat on tops of my gunale was nice and rough, and it took a lot of buffing with a polishing compound to get it out.

Rainwater will not do nearly as much damage. The newer boats have snap on covers I believe, and as a result, can get away with leaving the cover on while underway.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Pulled my CC SN with the cover on once.....won't happen again. It will rub like Doug said and the seems get stretched where the tie downs attach to the covering.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
I did it once and it scratched the gel coat. I will never tow with a cover again regardless of weather.

I have pulled my boat through heavy down pours and it always amazes me how dry it stays as long as your movng.

It's a boat it's made to get wet
Old 09-01-2004, 03:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I trailer with my cover on. After towing 150 miles each way several times a year, I would get a lot of road grime inside that required cleaning out every time. I don't like the MC canvas cover for towing, so I had one made locally out of Sunbrella that fits very tightly. While it takes a few minutes to put on, it's well worth keeping the boat clean. I have a few pictures I can post that show the customer cover if you are interested.