Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1978 S&S
Newbie--1978 SS Restoration

My first post. Great site, I've enjoyed learning from everyone. Go easy on me.
I'll use this thread for restoration progress.

The boat came home last Friday, 9/14/2012. Quick history is it was an original owner boat. Cared for by the local marine. Overall a nice SS.

This was a spontaneous acquisition. I was planning for Spring, not now.

1) Runs fine, no work needed here. 750 hrs

2) Interior is shot, has anyone seen this driver seat, I am not seeing it in other pics.

3) The fuel tank has leak [prompted the sale], turns out since removing the tank I've realized the stringers are shot too. Fuel tank supports were non-existent.

--Question-- The tank is lableled as a 1984 18 gallon. I was planning to fix it. Now realizing it is not the original 25 gallon, I am thinking of replacing it. Where can I find a built to spec Alum tank?

For the moment, I need to put the project on ice. The updates won't start yet. It is fall in MI, we have lots to do!

Thanks all on TT, I have the information to plan for the stringer replacement. Motor is ready to pull. Ready to remove flooring.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Is there a reason you want to go with an aluminum tank? Why not replace it with a modern plastic one? You def will want more than 18 gallons too, v8 aren't very economic when it comes to fuel. Are you planning on a full resto?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

A plastic tank would be fine. Moeller? is there something close to a drop in available. Point me to it, please. I will want the same driveside fill pipe thru the deck.

About the plans, I'll do the resto in achievable steps. Stringers 1st with floor. The gel coat should come back real nice. This leaves the interior. Is the dr seat MC or something of another?

I am considering battery relocation to the transom with the stringer project.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Great looking project boat. I suspect it is a '79. MC used a bare aluminum windshield in '77 & '78, then switched to the black windshield frame in 1979. Take a look at the hull ID number on the outside starboard corner of the back of the boat.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
My first post. Great site, I've enjoyed learning from everyone. Go easy on me.
I'll use this thread for restoration progress.

The boat came home last Friday, 9/14/2012. Quick history is it was an original owner boat. Cared for by the local marine. Overall a nice SS.

This was a spontaneous acquisition. I was planning for Spring, not now.

1) Runs fine, no work needed here. 750 hrs

2) Interior is shot, has anyone seen this driver seat, I am not seeing it in other pics.

3) The fuel tank has leak [prompted the sale], turns out since removing the tank I've realized the stringers are shot too. Fuel tank supports were non-existent.

--Question-- The tank is lableled as a 1984 18 gallon. I was planning to fix it. Now realizing it is not the original 25 gallon, I am thinking of replacing it. Where can I find a built to spec Alum tank?

For the moment, I need to put the project on ice. The updates won't start yet. It is fall in MI, we have lots to do!

Thanks all on TT, I have the information to plan for the stringer replacement. Motor is ready to pull. Ready to remove flooring.
Boat looks identical to mine. IMO a 25 gallon tank would be huge. I have a 14 gallon in my boat and can the boat hard for a full day without running out.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-9
i almost bought that boat, im in mich too. let me know how it goes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Looks like a great boat to work on. Keep in mind that the added weight of a bigger tank and moving the battery will change the performance and wake characteristics of the boat. If you're a wakeboarder and don't generally run very fast I'd say go for it. If however you want to slalom and barefoot, or go out and run fast once in a while, keep in mind that it'll take longer to get out of the hole, the wake will likely be a little bigger, and the boat will be more likely to have a porpoising issue.
Just noticed that you are looking to replace what is already a replacement tank. What the heck were they running in that thing? I would still be a little leary, but you could always run the tank less than full if you have a problem, though that would ruin the entire point.
Love the red/white/blue flake. That is geat. Where in MI are you located?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars&Stripes, 351w, grey and blue
Steve, congrats on the purchase. You'll have a very difficult time finding a direct replacement for that boat or even a replacement for the '84 tank. The company that made those back then are no longer in business. I have an '85 and could not find one. I believe you may have 2 options. The first is having one custom made. Depending on your budget and what you want to spend this is a very expensive option (especially for aluminum). The other option would be to contact a boat salvage company and see if they may have one. I'm not sure what year they went to the poly tanks, but that's what mine is. After recieving some great advice on here, I was able to get my tank almost back to ne looking on the inside and can now reuse it. Good luck. Now become a member on here instead of a guest.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxberger View Post
You'll have a very difficult time finding a direct replacement for that boat or even a replacement for the '84 tank. The company that made those back then are no longer in business. I have an '85 and could not find one.
As far as Moeller is concerned, I odereded a part from the OEM supplier several months ago and I pass by their facility once a month or so.

A replacement fuel cell for the 83 - 85 era, and even the 78 model is readily available.

Measure your fuel cell and order a polyethylende cell from here, same OEM as was for all of the 79 - 93 moels that I have owned, since 1979. http://www.moellermarine.com/oem/fuel_tanks/

You can get new fuel sending units and in-cell fuel pickup and screens as well.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 10-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM
TT Newbie

Work is happening again.

I did not expect to see foam on the outboard stringers. There is also deadening foam along the sides below the flooring.
Attached Images