Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Boat will not fit in boat house

Well, before I even went to look at this boat, I asked the PO if he had a 7' tall garage door and asked if his folded tower fit okay. He told me yes it was 7' and that he had to push the door up a few inches to make sure he had the entire opening, but that it fit. Okay, great! Well I get it to my boat house, which has a 9'x7' door and the tower is a good foot too tall. I guess the guy actually had an 8' tall door instead. I am stuck with having to take the entire top portion of the tower completely off every time, until I modify the boathouse to put a larger door in. I even tried to swing the tower back from the bottom pivots instead, and did gain some room, but not nearly enough, even if I let air out of the tires. As you can imagine, this is a pain to have to do every time and it requires two people.

My question is, does anyone have a good garage door manufacturer to recommend that has good prices, as I do not need anything fancy or even with a motor. I think I want to just take it up to 9' tall if at all possible, which would require me to have to raise the roof as well, but do what you have to do. Other possible solutions are welcome as well.

I know there is a ton of knowledge on everything MC related here, but surely someone else has run into this issue before too.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Dig the entrance down if it's an option. You would need to channel the water away.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM
MC Devotee

Well, I haven't really thought about that, but I don't really think that would be an option, as it is a concrete slab. You do have me thinking though... BTW, boat house is about 12'x25', sloped towards the water.

Last edited by CC2MC; 09-20-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
looks like you have a 205.....what kind of tower is on there? I have a 2000 X Star with a single axel trailer and it makes the 7ft on the dot. I know a ton of people with 205V's that all make 7ft doors with towers.

I have an adjustable hitch just for the garage issue. I lower the adjustable hitch as far as I can and then back the boat in. If my hitch was level or a bit high I would't fit.

The other way people make the tight squeeze is get the boat halfway in.........unhook from the truck ...... lower the tongue as far as possible and push it the rest of the way in. Again these are all with the factory towers.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
can you post a few pics from inside and outside the garage? its hard to come up with ideas without seeing how your garage is built.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 PM
MC Devotee

Yes it is a 94 PS 205. Tower is a custom tower made for this boat, by Pipe Dreams. I have already lowered the tongue but can't get it far enough down to compensate. If it was on a level surface, I might consider unhooking it, but it slopes towards the water.

I don't have any pics of it and i am not sure when I can get back down there, but i will see what I can come up with. The boat house was built in 87 by the PO of the lake house. The newer ones cannot even be built as close to the water as this one is. There is a door on each end and it would be ideal if I could back into the water and pull straight in, but as of now, that is not doable. It has Concrete block walls and from the top of the door up, it is wood siding with a gable roof. The rafters have ceiling joists about every 24" or so. We have a ramp on the other side of the boat house and currently I just pull it out of the house and back it down the side ramp, which is not really that big of a deal.

Last edited by CC2MC; 09-20-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
What if you had the tower modified to fit? It looks like there is not a second break in the tower that would allow for the boat to fit.

So, what if you went and had a welder install something like this:
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
What if you had the tower modified to fit? It looks like there is not a second break in the tower that would allow for the boat to fit. So, what if you went and had a welder install something like this:
Now, that would work. The curved leg is really the issue. What about the strength of the tower? That would probably be a cheaper option as well. Good suggestion. Did you have that done?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Just modified my post.

It must be strong enough since the OEM towers and New Dimension towers have do it this way for years.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM
MC Devotee

Does the upper "broken" section just bolt in with one bolt or two? I see you have a knob on both the top and bottom breaks, but it looks like there may be two bolts holding it together.