Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 prostar
Power loss in 84 S&S

I was on a couple of weeks ago with an impeller issue which I have now solved. Chunks of impeller were back by the tranny cooler and either blocked water or ground up the impeller. HAve since solved that problem, but now I have an odd power loss. The boat ran very hot for about 2-3 minutes when the impeller first failed before I caught the steam and v high temp guage reading.

After fixing impeller, I get a complete loss of power at 2400rpm (about 20mph). I can hold it at 2400 rpm all day but any increase in throttle above that causes a complete bog down of the motor and it drops to idle and dies. This happens only under load. In neutral it will rev up just fine. It starts immediately on the key turn.

I have replaced the fuel filter, points, and plugs to no avail. A mechanic rebuilt the carb as his theory was that old fuel had gummed up things. He checked teh pump and tells me it is fine. (It sat idle for a year with Stabil in the tank) This is starting to get pricey now.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Sounds like the secondary on the carb is not opening. I would double check the carb, might have melted the diaphram when it overheated...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
It sounds like a lack of fuel to me. Have these holley carbs got a small bronze sieve in the inlet like the car ones did/do? Are you sure fuel pump and filter are ok. Next would be to check the secondaries as mentioned above. Have fun.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
The secondaries should not be coming in anywhere near 2400rpm, I highly doubt that has anything to do with the issue being described.

Sounds like youre running out of gas at higher speeds... which would indicate a fuel delivery problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Power Valve blow?

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
Power Valve blow?

JTR
Nope. If the power valve diaphragm ruptures, it goes to full rich and runs fat and blows smoke. If you could get it up to speed it would eventually run fine, but can't get there.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Nope. If the power valve diaphragm ruptures, it goes to full rich and runs fat and blows smoke. If you could get it up to speed it would eventually run fine, but can't get there.
I wouldnt even think to argue such an educated individual like your self Peter, nice call!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-