Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM
aswinter05's Avatar
aswinter05 aswinter05 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 2004 MasterCraft Prostar 209
Location: Brookville Lake, IN
Posts: 199
Question about Fly High X-Poles...

Just ordered a brand new Fly High X-Pole and a B202 Universal C Boom from Barefoot Intl. (super pumped)

I had a question for anyone with experience using a Fly High. Different people have said NOT to tube from the extended pylon. However, I've heard others say they tube from it. An individual on BOS warned me about pulling tubers from it because of the strain and tension you will put on the pylon.

We don't tube incredibly often, but when guests come to the boat tubing is always a given since anyone can do it.

Any input about your experiences with Fly High's would be greatly appreciated as well as opinions on pulling tubers.

(only reason I would like to tube from the Fly High is for better air time and to keep the ropes out of the water thus preventing splashes to the face)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 12,343
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I pull from the middle of my fly high pole...I have a pulling ring there... imo
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
I pull from the middle of my fly high pole...I have a pulling ring there... imo
Same here. With proper boat driving technique, air time is never a problem. Keeping speeds down and delivering the tube into the wave and keeping the boat out of the waves allows for proper air and/or ejection of tube passengers.
__________________
- Peter

TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE DEAL
ONE PACKAGE AVAILABLE AT THIS PRICE
$950 DELIVERED


5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/GUNMETAL INLAY
5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR KR03 RADIALS
STAINLESS CENTER CAPS, LIFETIME CHROME LUGS
MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL


PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
tiresplease@gmail.com

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 PM
madcityskier's Avatar
madcityskier madcityskier is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Location: madison, wi
Posts: 1,829
I won't. I don't even like a skier who's going to cut moderately aggressively on it. That pulls the pole to the side significantly. Definitely affects the way the boat handles. If it's a one person tube in a straight line nit a problem. But Homie don't play day way.
__________________
I spent most of my money on booze, broads and boats. The rest I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
orbeamlb's Avatar
orbeamlb orbeamlb is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 971
Just checked my Fly High paperwork and they warn against pulling tubes, kites and such from it. I pull he tubes from my stern lift hooks but do run into the rope getting in the water and spraying my tubers. Looking at the tube booster inflatable ball for the tube rope to remedy that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
swatguy's Avatar
swatguy swatguy is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: Nautique
Location: Midwest, Chicago
Posts: 2,005
Yes. Tubing from pole can equal disaster. Equate it to a lever. The longer the lever the more torque it can create. The sudden loading and unloading stress with tubes is not good on the pole. Use the transom tow point or the center ring on the high pole.
__________________
CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Rockman's Avatar
Rockman Rockman is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Location: SW Burbs of Chi-Town
Posts: 2,903
Agree with what the others are saying...either use the ski eye on the extended pylon or use the original pylon on your boat.

Tubing and slalom skiing can create way more pull on the extended pylon that having 5 barefooters use the extended pylon...they are not going back and forth...

Whatever you do, be safe. If you have any doubts, don't do it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM
aswinter05's Avatar
aswinter05 aswinter05 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 2004 MasterCraft Prostar 209
Location: Brookville Lake, IN
Posts: 199
Does anyone foot behind the extended pylon? I'm trying to think of other uses for it besides surfing and boarding.

Thanks for all the input so far. I won't be tubing behind the fly high

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinter05 View Post
Just ordered a brand new Fly High X-Pole and a B202 Universal C Boom from Barefoot Intl. (super pumped)

I had a question for anyone with experience using a Fly High. Different people have said NOT to tube from the extended pylon. However, I've heard others say they tube from it. An individual on BOS warned me about pulling tubers from it because of the strain and tension you will put on the pylon.

We don't tube incredibly often, but when guests come to the boat tubing is always a given since anyone can do it.

Any input about your experiences with Fly High's would be greatly appreciated as well as opinions on pulling tubers.

(only reason I would like to tube from the Fly High is for better air time and to keep the ropes out of the water thus preventing splashes to the face)
The same thing that took down Big Blue at Miller park will take down a pole like this- side load. The added cable is for resisting the forces when pulling in a straight line but will do squat if the person pulls hard to the side.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM
DJnGA's Avatar
DJnGA DJnGA is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: 1993 S&S
Location: NW GA
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinter05 View Post
Does anyone foot behind the extended pylon? I'm trying to think of other uses for it besides surfing and boarding.

Thanks for all the input so far. I won't be tubing behind the fly high

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I foot behind mine all the time. It makes it a "little" easier.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.