Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 MC 197 TT MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
OK, if this is a 1996 that as been sitting trashed for 6 years, that could still mean that the original owner used it for 10 years and got many, many hours of enjoyment out of it. What did one of these cost in 1996: $25,000? If so, then $25,000 / 10 years = $2,500 per year of use, even if he trashed it at the end. On the other hand, this site is full of posts of guys who bought 100k plus 2012 models now turning around and buying 2013s. Even if they get a screaming deal on a 13, as I have read some attest, still seems like with taxes, registration, depreciation, etc, they would need to be taking at least a $15,000 + hit just for 1 summer of use! (tax on 2012 purchase, hit on trade in value and tax on 2013 purchase).Not condoning someone trashing a 96, just wondering out loud why there is never the same outcry for the amount of $'s wasted on the other end of the spectrum?
Kudos to the OP who would have the ambition, talent and desire to take on this type of project. Also props to all of those chipping in with such useful tips for this project. Some very mechanically skilled folks on this site. About all I'm good for is throwing my opinion around from the cheap seats
Well said Michigan Tim. The care and feeding of many of the boats posted here is incredible. As well as the demonstrated skill and knowledge. My MC is nothing but a work truck -- mechanically maintained and little more. The boat is there to serve me and provide a platform for slalom and wakeboard -- we launch, ski three sets apiece and get out. I am too damned busy to dote over her. Her innards are well cared for, however. There is no radio and the backseat is in a kid's bedroom. The boat has been from KW to the UP, 1000 hrs of salt and 300 fresh. The upholstery is shot. Owned her for 14 years, been through the course countless times, trained dozens of kids to ski and wakeboard -- all at a cost of 7K, gas and maintenance. But, as they say, to each his own -- I still enjoy viewing the nice boats. For me, she is in the same category as my tile saw.

voodoo
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Hi all

Trying to get some parts on order ,
I have found an automotive distriubtor on ebay , looks the same as the old unit ,
can anyone advise on this , if will be a suitable fit etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190685048932...witem=&vxp=mtr

thanks

Kevin
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
Also forget to mention , is there any difference between l/h and r/h rotation engines when buying a distributor .

thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
OK, if this is a 1996 that as been sitting trashed for 6 years, that could still mean that the original owner used it for 10 years and got many, many hours of enjoyment out of it. What did one of these cost in 1996: $25,000? If so, then $25,000 / 10 years = $2,500 per year of use, even if he trashed it at the end. On the other hand, this site is full of posts of guys who bought 100k plus 2012 models now turning around and buying 2013s. Even if they get a screaming deal on a 13, as I have read some attest, still seems like with taxes, registration, depreciation, etc, they would need to be taking at least a $15,000 + hit just for 1 summer of use! (tax on 2012 purchase, hit on trade in value and tax on 2013 purchase).Not condoning someone trashing a 96, just wondering out loud why there is never the same outcry for the amount of $'s wasted on the other end of the spectrum?
Kudos to the OP who would have the ambition, talent and desire to take on this type of project. Also props to all of those chipping in with such useful tips for this project. Some very mechanically skilled folks on this site. About all I'm good for is throwing my opinion around from the cheap seats
The big difference is if this boat would have been covered it would be a 15k or 16k boat. How much trouble is it to put a cover on a boat? No trouble at all to most people here so that's what makes this kind of thing so ugly and why people cringe when they see this kind of thing. Who cringes at 2012 that's in great shape? No man.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Man, how did I miss this one?!? You've got one heck of a project there! I hope you can get it going again soon. I must of missed it but how much did you get the boat for? Just amazing someone would just leave it in the fields for years without looking at it.....

Good luck with the re-build. Looks fun and will be very satisfying when you get it running!

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Also forget to mention , is there any difference between l/h and r/h rotation engines when buying a distributor .

thanks
Yes there is a difference in distributors and cams with the different rotations.

The cam gear will be one or the other on the distributor and the cam itself is cut to a specific rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 prostar 197, mcx
Kevin
Have you tried rodley motors, I know not near you there up in Bradford but might be able to help out
Major stockist of American parts, google rodley motors, not much to look at on the site, they have been going years and know there stuff.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Hey, this site wouldn't be as interesting if there weren't people with opinions.

Once it comes to money and toys, well that's one deep rabbit hole!
^^+1
Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Well said Michigan Tim. The care and feeding of many of the boats posted here is incredible. As well as the demonstrated skill and knowledge. My MC is nothing but a work truck -- mechanically maintained and little more. The boat is there to serve me and provide a platform for slalom and wakeboard -- we launch, ski three sets apiece and get out. I am too damned busy to dote over her. Her innards are well cared for, however. There is no radio and the backseat is in a kid's bedroom. The boat has been from KW to the UP, 1000 hrs of salt and 300 fresh. The upholstery is shot. Owned her for 14 years, been through the course countless times, trained dozens of kids to ski and wakeboard -- all at a cost of 7K, gas and maintenance. But, as they say, to each his own -- I still enjoy viewing the nice boats. For me, she is in the same category as my tile saw.

voodoo
Mechanically sound and aesthetically poor is still a cared for boat..IMO - I tend to leave my rear seat at home as well... Feel lucky you don't have the MCOCD..

FWIW - you would keep your tile saw in good mechanical condition right and safe? Get's the job done and everyone goes home happy
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
The big difference is if this boat would have been covered it would be a 15k or 16k boat. How much trouble is it to put a cover on a boat? No trouble at all to most people here so that's what makes this kind of thing so ugly and why people cringe when they see this kind of thing. Who cringes at 2012 that's in great shape? No man.

^^^+1