Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: other
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
So do you have the Tsunami plumbed into both bags, split with a T fitting? Same goes with the Johnson?
Yes I have the tsunami pumping in the top of the bags with a T fittings and the johnson pumps into the bottom of the bags with a T fitting. The tsunami needs a ball valves in the lines or the water gets suctioned out while you're moving.

With my johnson and tsunami filling, I can fill about 500lbs in maybe 3 minutes tops. The ball valves help me throttle the water flow for that last little bit because inevitably one bag fills faster than the other.

The one thing I did notice about the johnson/jabsco ballast pumps vs the tsunamis is the tsunamis can fill the bags completely with water and will displace the air. The real ballast pumps pump some air into the bags too and I have to vent them.

Last edited by jfw432; 09-21-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
@CC2MC

I would not use the tsunami pumps for a permanent install, they are just not built for that.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Sorry for delayed reply.

Hour meter runs when engine is on. Ballast pumps are independent of that as they are hard wired as accessories. I think i ran separate power and ground wires as the stock were too small IMO.

However, i usually run engine when filling or draining. It is usually on the way out or in or while someone is finishing or starting a run. No big deal to me.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
This might be a dumb question but im assuming everyone "overloads" their boat with ballast? My 190 is only rated for like 1100 lbs or something like that on the capacity tag.. With 4 people and gear that basically means I can only add 400lbs of ballast and still be in the capacity.. 400 makes a good wake but more would be desired if I knew overloading the boat wouldn't be a bad thing

Sent from the pay phone down the street via tapatalk
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Regarding overloading, most any wake boat you see is overloaded at some point compared to the uscg tag. It comes down to common sense and knowing how to drive with the extra weight (to a point...I'm not advocating 2000lbs in a 190). I'm not completely certian of the legality of it, read about it but kinda gray area, but I've personally never been hasseled by the fish cops, even with surf weight and the X2 layin over like it want's to turn turtle.
It won't hurt the boat.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks, I was thinking people probably overloaded em but like you said knowing how to drive the boat makes a big difference.. I've been toying around with the ballast bag ideas and trying to figure out a good combo is hard to come up with unless I know a weight.. I'll just stick with 800# of water ballast max and see what happens.. That's double what I have now and I think I should be able to distribute enough that room is still available.. Can't afford a big fancy boat so gotta make this one work! Maybe when the truck is paid off I can actually get a newer boat!! Only 3 years to go! Btw sorry to thread jack

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
I've run 1100 in my 190....600 in the back a 270 on each side of motor box and as far forward as I can get them. I only use this much if its me and my two sons one who will be boarding. Have to run about 21- 22 to get it cleaned up at 60-75 feet. If we have the gas tank full and a few more people I don't fill the 600 all the way. Really need more weight in the nose and I plan on trying some lead up there before the season is over.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
MC Devotee

The 270 ballasts are they a brick or a log style? Do they interfere with walkways much? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
MC Devotee

Off topic; but if someone is knowledgable with ballast and installs please pm me.. I've got a bunch of questions about ballast in my 190.. Thanks in advance

Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I think 1000 lbs should be fine for me for now as I am just a novice wakeboarder, but I think the added weight would give me the size wake I need to begin learning new things. As I learn more, I may add more weight or upgrade the boat all together.

Unfortunately I missed my prime window at learning new things, as I am in my 30s now and when I fall, it takes a little longer to recover than it used to. Plus I never really learned how to wakeboard when I was younger although I grew up going to the lake. Skiing, kneeboarding and tubing but the later two I can no longer do bc it really takes a toll. I went boarding behind a friend's 205 with around 1000 lbs in the back and the wake was very nice so I look forward to adding the extra weight but want to set it all up right to begin with.

Thanks for the input. About how long does it take to fill the bags?
I've got the same boat and we are kinda limited on hiding ballast. I have been considering the huge fat seat which you can put in place of our rear seat. However, I also love to slalom and fill/empty ballast often and use the back seat too. I would love to figure out about 1500 I got fill empty with a flip of a switch.

How about we collaborate on some solutions?