Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Tristar 190
Adding a 2nd battery to a Tristar

Just curious if anybody has added a second battery to a Mastercraft Tristar? And where they placed it? And how they wired it? Any other information would be nice as well! I currently have a 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190. And would like to add a second battery for a amp. I feel my only option is in the closed bow ..
Thanks Tristan ..
Old 09-13-2012, 05:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Since our TriStars are already bow-heavy, adding another 50# up front isn't a good idea. How about installing one in the port side storage compartment at the stern? The plastic shell covering that opening is easily removed, and there's room for a battery back there. Added plus, it's adjacent to the house battery, which would facilitate wiring.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
TT Regular

Hey thanks Miss Rita.. yeah, that would be so ideal! i'v thought about that! but never looked much into it, seeing the compartment is much to small.. so i take it that "shell" unscrews?.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 87 tristar
I've got 2 in the stern compartment in my 87. It was tight but the 2nd battery slid to the side of the other one.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 AM
TT Regular

@ js9467.. is it possible for you to post pics!?!?! iv got to see how you did this! did you remove this plastic shell covering"?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 87 tristar
I'm not sure what plastic shell you mean! I dropped my phone in the water and the camera stopped working so I'm having picture issues .

There is a fiberglass battery tray in the stern with room on each side. I was able to squeeze another in. I'll send a picture once I take care of my phone issues.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I have a '90 Tristar 190, closed bow. It has 1 marine starting battery in the middle slot in the stern, with a deep cycle battery located in the port side stern corner. Next to the deep cycle, is a Perko dual battery switch. Works awesome, as I use the starting battery for engine start, then let the alt charge it back while cruising around. When Is decide to either beach it or chill out on the water with a tasty beverage, I simply switch the Perko over to the deep cycle and listen to my tunes. When ready to either move on or return back to the dock, I switch it back to the charged starting battery for a sure start everytime. The deep cycle runs 2 10" subs, 2 tower speakers, and 4 in boat speakers. Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Lee,

Sorry, not calling you "Stud" ok . Electrically, its not a major upgrade to do. The trick is to find a good spot to mount the switch without having to extend the original B+ cable.

Every cable thats currently connected to the original battery's B+ post, except the auto-bilge wire, gets relocated to the "C" post of the dual-battery switch. The bilge wire is typically brown w/red strip.

With a new cable, the GND post of the new "house" battery gets run to the GND post of the existing battery's GND post.

With a new cable, the existing "cracking" battery's B+ post gets connected to the switch post "1".

With a new cable, the new "house" battery's B+ post gets connected to the switch post "2".

I typically use 1/0 gauge cable for these connections, since you will most likely use the new house battery as a secondary starting battery at some point.

Your amp's B+ cable will now be routed to the switch's "C". This is done for a couple of reasons. 1) we want ALL of the stereo gear to share the same battery source to prevent unwanted noise, and 2) this allows the stereo to draw off which ever battery we have the switch turned to. When anchored, you will be running of the deep-cycle in position "2", leaving the main cranking battery isolated and in reserve. Once running again, the switch can be returned to the "2" position to replenish the house a little.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
On a more serious note, I wired my 2 batteries just as described above. To further answer your question, to allow both the battery and the Perko switch to fit inside the plastic tray, you will have to cut and trim it both on the side and the top to make room for it to fit properly. Wire it up as previously described, and everything should work out great for you.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 AM
TT Regular

Hey thanks guys! I have a much better understanding now.. I did look in the cubbyholes in the stern of the boat and the "shells " do screw out. So I'll position the deep cycle on the port side. However with that said, I was on the understanding that both batteries had to be the same to be up to par. What are your thoughts on this?