Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Prop for 230VRS...?

Enthusiastic posts about the improvements a 541 gives to some of the ProStars prompts me to look for a magic propeller for my '04 230VRS/MCX too. I'm not crazy about the stock OJ CNC 4-blade. Holeshot is good, top speed (46mph) is acceptable, but it's very noisy at higher throttle settings, and gets downright raucous in a right turn. Not to mention the annoying little rooster tail that sits right at 15-off @34-36mph.

I realize I can call Acme and ask about their 4-blade 381 (13.5 x 17.5), but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with that prop or similar for this particular boat - late-model 230VRS or X-30.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 maristar 230vrs Cadillac Northstar 320hp
I have a 2000 230VRS with the Cadillac Northstar 320hp engine. When I purchased the boat (used this summer) it had a 14x16 OJ three blade. The engine had lots of top end left at 6000 rpm, and my max speed was only 37mph. I contacted MC and they suggested an OJ 13.7x15.5 4 blade XMP. I purchased this from Propellersonline, and had the same issue. After talking to OJ directly and another person at MC, I was told to purchase the 13.7x19.5. I was hesitant because this was such a drastic change in pitch. As expected, I could not get above 4600 RPM, and 39mph (GPS tested). After doing a little more digging, I found that the suggested prop is a 13.7x17.5. I called Propellersonline one more time. I decided (after talking to many people) that I would try the Acme 381 - 13.7x17.5x.125 LH. I can not imagine better performance! Much smoother than the OJ's, less cavitation when turning sharply at high speeds, max speed is 46mph at 6000 rpm, and the hole shot is great. This is a great set up for my boat/engine/needs. Yours may be slightly different due to a different motor, and usage -i.e. wakeboarding, slalom, etc.

I would recommend talking to OJ and Acme and discuss your set up and boat usage. I was told (by numerous people) that Acme held tighter tolerances and therefore had less variability in performance.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 07:26 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230vrsnewbie
I have a 2000 230VRS with the Cadillac Northstar 320hp engine. When I purchased the boat (used this summer) it had a 14x16 OJ three blade. The engine had lots of top end left at 6000 rpm, and my max speed was only 37mph. I contacted MC and they suggested an OJ 13.7x15.5 4 blade XMP. I purchased this from Propellersonline, and had the same issue. After talking to OJ directly and another person at MC, I was told to purchase the 13.7x19.5. I was hesitant because this was such a drastic change in pitch. As expected, I could not get above 4600 RPM, and 39mph (GPS tested). After doing a little more digging, I found that the suggested prop is a 13.7x17.5. I called Propellersonline one more time. I decided (after talking to many people) that I would try the Acme 381 - 13.7x17.5x.125 LH. I can not imagine better performance! Much smoother than the OJ's, less cavitation when turning sharply at high speeds, max speed is 46mph at 6000 rpm, and the hole shot is great. This is a great set up for my boat/engine/needs. Yours may be slightly different due to a different motor, and usage -i.e. wakeboarding, slalom, etc.

I would recommend talking to OJ and Acme and discuss your set up and boat usage. I was told (by numerous people) that Acme held tighter tolerances and therefore had less variability in performance.

Good luck!

Thanks for the confirmation. My MCX rpm range is up to about 5200, but supposedly develops 350HP. I'd consider it a worthwhile purchase if it left the top end at 46 and gave me the same holeshot as long as it settled down the vibration/cavitation. Sounds like a project for the spring..