Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Cracked ballast hose, 06 model.

So I took apart the ballast intake line at the check valve during winterizing and to my surprise, it pretty much fell apart. After some wiggling on the line to get it off the check valve, it just started leaking all over, hose split in multiple locations. Any prying under the end of the hose to break it loose resulted in the hose just splitting. Acted like a very old dry-rotted hose.
Hope all the other hoses aren't on their last legs too!
This is the one that could sink the boat if it blew out though, so glad I noticed it IN my garage!
Just an FYI to check this on your boats.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Is there any kind of valve to shut off in case this one leaks. I've looked at mine before, and I remember the location being a PITA because of it sitting under the engine. I'll check mine next weekend. Is the hose white spa hose or something else? I remember the check valve being a big white thing.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
MC Maniac

Yes there is a ball valve just inside the hull. Hose is black, smooth corrugated looking, like all of the smaller ballast hoses.
I was disconnecting it at the check valve to see if it was holding water. (Guess if it didn't freeze the last 3 years it would have been fine this year..........anyway.)
It just started cracking and splitting like it was a 30 year old hose!

FYI, if you winterize your ballast thru the tee up by the manifold, it fills the hose from the ck valve to the manifold with antifreeze, so no need to pull it apart. I've been using windshield washer juice to winterize the ballast. 2gal in each tank then pump a little out to make sure it's everywhere in the system. No problems, even in cold CO winters..........unless it's eating the hoses! Doubt it.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Good to know. I've been sucking up a gallon of RV antifreeze up through the scupper on the bottom through a fake a lake. I'll take a look this weekend because I still have to winterize my ballast tanks. I've got an extra piece of the black ballast hose from when I installed my front bow sack if you need a piece. Not sure how long, but I can check if you need some.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
MC Maniac

Rick, thx for the offer, but this is the bigger (1-1/2"?) line. The individual lines are 3/4 or 1".

It's just the cheap jacuzzi hose. I'll probably jsut order a piece of reinforced hose like the raw water line to replace, it's only 2-3' total length.

If your 06 is the same config as mine, presume it is, see above. May be an easier method of winterizing the ballast.
That was my first thought exactly. If this line took a crap, hope the other 50' of HIDDEN hoses aren't coming up next!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
If your 06 is the same config as mine, presume it is, see above. May be an easier method of winterizing the ballast.
That was my first thought exactly. If this line took a crap, hope the other 50' of HIDDEN hoses aren't coming up next!
I'll take a look at the manifold when I clean my spark arrestor. It's a little difficult to see back there and my Crusader has a large shroud on the top that obscures it more than you MCX guys. Planning on heading up Saturday to finish up with my winterization. Just spark arrestor and ballast tanks left. Temps are dropping into the 20s at night yesterday and today ... Oh well we had a great run of weather in July and August so I can't complain too much
Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM
MC Maniac

Sept has been awesome here as well. I'd call it a FULL 3 months of summer here in a cpl weeks, but I winterized after Labor Day. D@mn kids' football is eating up all the off work time!
That's pretty cold over there, maybe early snow...........one can hope.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
D@mn kids' football is eating up all the off work time! That's pretty cold over there, maybe early snow...........one can hope.
Soccer and swim team over here-plus WSU season football tickets. I used to drag the boat back and put it in Liberty Lake for September, but now with the kids doing sports there's no time to use it. We had a great summer. Boat ran perfectly absolutely no issues once we dropped it in from July 5th to September 3rd. Got a couple of projects this winter. Adding the push button start with an RFID key and working on having working brakes on the trailer.