Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-Star
01 X-Star Factory Ballast

Just bought 2001 X-Star and trying our luck with wake surfing. It has the factory 2 hard tanks in the rear, and soft in the ski locker (Pump doesn't work on this one)

What is the weight of the factory ballast? For us newbies it seemed to make a decent wake but I have nothing to compare it to.

Where is the pump for the ski locker ballast? I need to replace it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
im not sure if the xstar is the same as mine, i believe it is a guy on here swatguy i think has the same xstar as you and seems to be the same as mine. my factory tanks in the x-10 are 225 pounds each, i replaced my factory ski locker bag with a fat sac from wakmakers. i think it was 300 pounds i replaced it with a 400 pound bag. but all 3 input pumps on mine are in the back of the bout directly mounted to there rear of the boat next to the drain plug. the best way to tell if you have the same is look by your drain plug and see if you have 3 more, with a threaded plastic pipe with a screen on it. here is a pic of mine.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Factory hard tanks are 250 each. The ski locker sac is about 300lbs
Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
Congrats on the new boat, you will love it.

The rear tanks weigh +/- 250 lbs each, and the ski locker is +/-400.

The ski locker pump (on my '01) is close to the gas tank under the engine compartment. The rear tanks are about midway of the engine. Mine also use the replaceable cartridges, so you should just be able to replace the cartridge, not the whole pump.

One other note, and you will probably get this comment a lot, but go ahead and switch the rear tanks out for 750 lb sacs. Much better wake and wave, and very simple install.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Remove the factory hard tanks and install bags (450's or 750's) in their place. It gives you more weight/options.

Edit: For wakeboarding you will need additional weight in the bow to run these bags.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
As mentioned when u get a chance pull those hard tanks and install bags. You get more storage when empty an more weight for boarding and surfing. Since you are already surfing jump straight up to the 750's ad be done. You can fill them however much you want for boarding if you don't want the extra weight, but then you still have the optimal weight to fill for surfing.

Wakemakers.com have all the info and parts as this is a super common upgrade. It's almost a simple plug an play swap, you just need the bags, a little extra hose and some fittings. Not sure if you 01 has check valves on the intakes or if the original owner left the manual gates located on the wall of the dividers. If neither are there you need a check valve on the intake line because the five of the water with te 750lb bag will push back out the pump intake.

Your intake pumps should be located on the rear transom. Either in yellow cartridges or red. You can just buy a replacement motor/ cartridge and leave the housing in place. I recommend upping from the factory 500gph or 750gph, can't recall which was factory, And going to the 1100gph motor. It fits the same housing and plug and will cut down your full time. Take the cartridge out by hand, you flip the tab up and twist te pump motor and it pops right out. Try and spin the blades by hand. Sometimes they just jet seized up if they are not used.

The center factory sac is around 350. They no longer make a direct replacement. You have to do a custom sac to get the optimal dimensions, Not sure what Wakemakers sold CWARNDAHL, but as long as the ports are on the one end of the bag and not te top it's perfect. The fly high tube/locker sac has pretty close to the same specs but if you want to attach it to you factory pumps it attaches on the top of the bag so the hoses make your locker pop up. If you just fill it and leave it without the hoses from the system it will fit fine and not bulge your locker door up.

If you do upgrade the rear hard tanks you are going to want to put some weight in the nose for both surfing and boarding. The easiest and simplest solution is to buy a 500lb sac and fill it in the walkway. Even with the factory ballast you will notice a much firmer wake with just that sac filled to 350lbs. This boat loves weight in te bow. It will also extend your surf pocket.

Also if you plan on cruising around the lake and what not. I keep te center sac filled. It really helps the boat handle the chop well

The empty pumps for the tanks are attached to the tank and the empty pump for you center sac is next to the center plug.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
TT Regular

Thanks, that's exactly the info I need. I think for now I'm going to replace one hard tank with a 750 and leave the factory tank on drivers side. If the need arises I can replace the other hard tank. We surf and hydrofoil but rarely wakeboard. I'll explore this weekend for the pumps but at first glance I haven't found them. If anyone has Picts that would help. Thanks to everyone for the help. This forum is a must have!!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
The port and starboard pumps are in the back of the lockers behind the panel. The KGB pump should be under the rear seat.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
The port and starboard pumps are in the back of the lockers behind the panel. The KGB pump should be under the rear seat.
I think that is only correct for 2002 and up with impeller pumps. 2001 was the last year of the aerator pumps.