Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
It looks nice in the photo you posted, both it and trailer seem in good shape.. Wonder why he pulled graphics off - sun/fading or docking/mooring incidents?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Update

Ok here is the update. This boat is nice, great condition drives well steers well. A few minior upholstery issues. Trailer is perfect. It has been stored inside its whole life.

The only bummer is.... We took it for a test drive today. it appears that the rear main seal is leaking. i noticed there was oil running down the plate infront of the transmission. We wiped it off took it for another run. Oil appeared again on the plate.

my question is how hard is it. Do you have to pull the motor? To have it done at a dealer how much does it cost?

The owner is a standup guy. He was bummed like I was. He said he will get it fixed, and wants me to call the mechanic so I can talk to him. I told him thats how it goes when it has 250 hours and sat for 2 years (his wife died and he hasn't used it since)

any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by john jones View Post
Ok here is the update. This boat is nice, great condition drives well steers well. A few minior upholstery issues. Trailer is perfect. It has been stored inside its whole life.

The only bummer is.... We took it for a test drive today. it appears that the rear main seal is leaking. i noticed there was oil running down the plate infront of the transmission. We wiped it off took it for another run. Oil appeared again on the plate.

my question is how hard is it. Do you have to pull the motor? To have it done at a dealer how much does it cost?

The owner is a standup guy. He was bummed like I was. He said he will get it fixed, and wants me to call the mechanic so I can talk to him. I told him thats how it goes when it has 250 hours and sat for 2 years (his wife died and he hasn't used it since)

any advice is appreciated.
IMHO if you like the boat, think its a fair price and he fixes the rear main what do you have to lose. Couple interior issues isn't a big deal. I may also suggest that you change the oil (if you buy it) and run it for a few hours first. That may just be due to the thing sitting and just need broke back in. I just bought my 95 maristar 200 this summer. Same thing guy had it sitting and it leaked out the rear main a bit ... small bit... but stopped. I have put 90 hours since I got the boat and it has not lost any oil after the first 50 hour oil change. So it may work itself out.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I just bought a 95 maristar 200 VRS couple months back. So far so good. Only bad thing I found is the rub rails have a tendency to leak as the tristar does since the swim platform and rub rail meld at that joint. I bought mine for $10k Needed some vinyl work, only seem issues and got the cushions redone threw a tower on it redid rub rail and put in stereo and I'm 16k invested. But I didn't have to pay all at once. For that price the boat you are looking at better be perfect. You can find a better deal for an early v drive. good luck.
Hello, I picked up a 95 Maristar v-drive last summer and am loving it! It does leak some water on the starboard side. I was thinking it might be a broken pitot tube since the speedo is not working. But then I read your quote about leaking rub rails. What is the easiest way to diagnose if that is happening with my boat? If that is the case, how would I fix that? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterlaughlin View Post
Hello, I picked up a 95 Maristar v-drive last summer and am loving it! It does leak some water on the starboard side. I was thinking it might be a broken pitot tube since the speedo is not working. But then I read your quote about leaking rub rails. What is the easiest way to diagnose if that is happening with my boat? If that is the case, how would I fix that? Thanks!
I refurbished my rub rail last winter...

to diagnose - #1 rub rail should be tight. #2 use garden hose and pressure nozzle and spray under rub rail.

to repair - you re-glass problem area depending on severity of hell/deck separation or check rivets that secure deck to hull. on my 95 PS205 I took out all the rivets filled new rivet holes with 3M5200 as well as running a new bead of 5200 over (under) deck/hull seam. Re-installed rub rail. no more leaks.

thinking back I should have considered separating deck from hull and replacing carpet while I had all the rivets out. Then I could have ran a new bead of sealant in the deck hull joint - but I wonder if I would have been able to get deck back on hell once lifted off...with the tools I have..
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
I loosened rub rail on starboard side by transom and used industrial grade waterproof caulk along seam and screw holes.. Put rub rail back on and no leak and no visible evidence. Pretty simple fix in my case

Last edited by LaRue; 12-15-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterlaughlin View Post

I don't think Pitot tube is correct. I think its done static. Nonetheless, Pull carpet back on your starboard side and run plowing water about 8-10 mph surfing speed and if you see water coming in. Your done. I doubt the speedo has anything to do with it. I could be wrong. Anyone else?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM

You can easily check the tube... and trimming and re-seating the the pitot tube may bring new life to your speedo. Take speedo out...check tube by having some blow - yeah yuck - pitot could be block as well for the speedo.. Year of boat - I am thinking it's a leaky deck/hull union. redid my boat in a weekend...have pictures on my profile and [url="http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32234&page=114"]here[/URL

Easy to pull and save rub rail - just use a heat gun to warm it up and it will come out without damaging hull mounting part.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
MC Devotee

This is a pitot tube. I have never seen one on a boat. Top right of the photo. The thing sticking out the back of the boat is calibrated for the vacuum created as the water rushes past it and its calibrated in MPH. So its a static tube right?

Definition of pitot tube:
The basic pitot tube consists of a tube pointing directly into the fluid flow. As this tube contains fluid, a pressure can be measured; the moving fluid is brought to rest (stagnates) as there is no outlet to allow flow to continue. This pressure is the stagnation pressure of the fluid, also known as the total pressure or (particularly in aviation) the pitot pressure.
Attached Images

Last edited by Traxx822; 12-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 PM

here's a boat pitot.. http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asp... maybe yours was upgrade to a paddle wheel.. I have 2 pitots... the water pushes against the air to create pressure as you describe... there are also two regulators.. before the tubes run to the back of the speedos.