Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
looking for Maristar opinions (possible purchase)

I am looking at a 1993 225 Maristar tomorrow. It has a 351 indmar 275 hp motor with 250 hours. It is direct drive, not sure which transmission. It looks clean, trailer is in great shape. I really don't like the outside color. It has a baby blue upper, can this be changed? If so is it just a decal or is it more involved?

From the pics it looks clean. I would love to have a newer V drive but money is an issue.

He is asking 12,500 for it. Sound reasonable?

We currently have an 89 tristar, love the boat just need some more room for the growing family. We wakeboard and sometimes slalom ski. It appears that the maristar is a good fit for the family.

So give me the good and bad. Things to think about, an idea on a fair price.

thanks for the help

Last edited by john jones; 01-27-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by john jones View Post
I am looking at a 1993 225 Maristar tomorrow. It has a 351 indmar 275 hp motor with 250 hours. It is direct drive, not sure which transmission. It looks clean, trailer is in great shape. I really don't like the outside color. It has a baby blue upper, can this be changed? If so is it just a decal or is it more involved?

From the pics it looks clean. I would love to have a newer V drive but money is an issue.

He is asking 12,500 for it. Sound reasonable?

We currently have an 89 tristar, love the boat just need some more room for the growing family. We wakeboard and sometimes slalom ski. It appears that the maristar is a good fit for the family.

So give me the good and bad. Things to think about, an idea on a fair price.

thanks for the help
I just bought a 95 maristar 200 VRS couple months back. So far so good. Only bad thing I found is the rub rails have a tendency to leak as the tristar does since the swim platform and rub rail meld at that joint. I bought mine for $10k Needed some vinyl work, only seem issues and got the cushions redone threw a tower on it redid rub rail and put in stereo and I'm 16k invested. But I didn't have to pay all at once. For that price the boat you are looking at better be perfect. You can find a better deal for an early v drive. good luck.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 210, 351, bought in '07 with 227 original hours.
I think 13,5k doesn't sound too bad for a starting point for a clean model with that few hours. Remember that the maristar's (at least this old) didn't have tracking fins, so if you are a bigger guy (190+lbs) and wakeboarding, you could wag the tail a bit on these when loading the line. I speak only from experience with my old 210. They were billed as the luxury "series" though back then and weren't as geared towards the skiers as some of the other models. For recreational use though, the maristars are just fine. It's a big boat, you will enjoy the extra space with the family over a tristar!

1990 Maristar 210... Sold

In the market though...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
We've been really happy with the 94 Maristar 225 we picked up this summer. Offered at 12k, purchased $10k, 700 hours. Our is LT1 1:1 transmission, and pulls very strong. Big plus is all the space. We've had two families in the boat (9 people) and it still seemed like there was lots of room to spare. Boat rated for 12. Behind the driver's seat I like to put a coleman marine cooler with the cushion seat top, my son loves as his seat. I actually prefer the direct drive for space, as it seems to spread folks around both when driving and anchored for lunch -- we wouldn't use the sundeck of v-drive. We added New Dimension tower which looks and performs great and keeps floor clear of boards.

Check condition of eye bolt and v-bunk if has the boat buddy. Mine was banged up and bent from hitting v-bunk on load and recover (its a long boat, hard to just drive it up if trailer ramp angle is not just right). I put smaller eye bolt in and got replacement v-bunk carpeted pad from Mastercraft dealer.

Also take a look into the two main side interior panels, and see the condition of the wood for that panel. Especially on drivers side that is a long piece, mine was repaired by PO with metal brace where it either cracked or went bad.

FYI that with 22.5" boat, you'll get a 25" trailer - it won't fit in standard garage or parking space like a smaller boat might. But its not that heavy to tow, I think just about 3000 pounds, as it was before they made the boats a lot heavier.

I'd like the baby blue color with white. Ours is teal with pink/gray accent stripe over white (oyster). If you redo interior mostly white w/o the baby blue, when needed, you might find that solves your dislike of the color. PO of my boat redid interior and did black accent strip instead of pink. That black is _hot_ - not recommended.

As a do-all family boat, its perfect for us. It drives and handles great. With weight from 8-9 passengers, or sacs if just 2 or 3 people it has a nice wake, but also nice to ski behind. And everyone that joins us comments on how much room there is, especially when you've got a few little kids on board.

Hope it works out!
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: maristar 230
I picked up a 2001 230 vrs with perfect seats/tower/brand new "zero hours" 350indmar 330 hp and new manifolds for 16500. I love it and has 300 hours on motor now up here in Maine. It never sits still and I think they have a dedicated pump at the gas dock for me. But would not want anything different. well maybe ballast
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

thanks for the opinions. This gives me an idea of things to look for and a decent price point. Looking at it this morning, I will post some details later. Maybe even a for sale add for my Tristar

Here is a pic of the one I am looking at

Last edited by john jones; 09-18-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Color seems more like teal than baby blue?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Btw, seems like no Bimini which maybe you can use to get a lower price?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 92 Maristar OB 210
We picked up a 92 Maristar 210 a few years back - 280 hrs, perfect interior and exterior condition for $12k. So far the best money I've spent.
If my wife would do it again however she'd want the extra space that a V drive provides.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

I think your right Maristardd, it is more teal. It looks like the Titanic compared to my Tristar

Looked at it today. It looks nice, clean well kept. We didn't get out on the water, we are planning for a test drive this week. There is some interior fading on the rear center cushion and the cushion in the front of the nose. It seems to be a Mastercraft issue because I have seen that same thing in other boats.

It has a bimini top, cover, some other extras.

Thanks for the help, keep the suggestions coming