Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-03-2005, 01:54 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
He!! Yeah!!!

http://mfile2.akamai.com/8753/wma/ww...agin050902.wma

Mayor Ray Nagin speaks to the radio....

I listened to every bit of it.... RIGHT ON!!!!

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 09-03-2005, 09:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
I'm sorry. Nagin needs to shut his hole. The people that are down there working their butts of night and day. Many people from the guard and other sources lost their homes and families too but they are working hard to save others.

This is a tradegy beyond our wildest imaginations. I think everyone can agree that given hindsights always 20/20 things could have been done differently on many levels of this situation. However, I for one am getting really sick of Nagin #itchin and moanin' about everything. He spends more time on the radio and news than any other official, why doesn't he get out there and put his money where his mouth is??

I'll get off my soap box now. I know Nagin is trying to light a fire under some people but his calls have been heard, assets are in the area and even more are on the way. IMO he needs to shutup and put his money where his mouth is!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 09-03-2005, 10:09 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I agree with JR 100%! Also, remember that the media is only showing portions of what is going on down there. You are not getting a full view of what is taking place watching TV or reading the papers.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
It would have been nice if they had told everyone about the fact that the levy's were only expected to hold up to a Class 3 Hurricane ... if you have ever been to New Orleans you have likely been told of the hurricane scenario ... I'm sure that the Mayor had some good things to say, but J.C. who the hell set up Plan A and Plan B ... they had no plan for this catastrophe ... I wish that the military had gotten their sooner, but I do not understand/comprehend the logistics of it all ... New Orleans knew that this day could come, that it would come, first and foremost the city owed their citizeny a better plan of action, along with contingency plans. Having watched it unfold from thousands of miles away I actually wept watching the live footage of the convoys of vehicles driving through the water to reach the people at the convention center & superdome with water and food. WHAT TOOK SO ****ING LONG?

New Orleans has spent plenty of money on different city beautification endeavors ... they could have spend a little bit on stockpiling food/water in case of such a catastrophe.

As a Republican I was embarrased/frustrated that the President did not get their sooner with help ... this happened on his watch, nothing will change that ... however, to run and blame Pres. Bush for this would be intellectually dishonest, the failures happened much earlier in the chain of command and responsibility.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 98 Prostar 190
I listened to this idiot, and I am speachless. Is he not the Mayor of the City? He blamed everyone under the sun except himself. He tried to justify the fact that they were looting, he wants to know why someone didn't safeguard the pump even though "he told" them that it was required. Where is his leadership and responsiblity to his people.

I am sorry this is a terrible tragedy, but when those planes hit the tower, Guliani didn't blame others, he set about making things better for his people, taking control and getting the job done, not whinning.

I made the largest donation I have ever made to go to the victims of this tragedy, I feel terrible for those that have lost everything, but the blame game needs to be played much later.

Last edited by MasterMason; 09-03-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
I agree with JR 100%! Also, remember that the media is only showing portions of what is going on down there. You are not getting a full view of what is taking place watching TV or reading the papers.
I have a buddy in Baton Rouge...... and what we're seeing on TV is not even close to how bad it really is down there. TV just doesn't convey the stench or gag factor everyone is living with.
I think the mayor is frustrated & pissed off. He may be blaming the feds, but there is plenty of blame to go around, regardless of race or political affiliation. The bottom line is they we're NOT prepared, despite the fact that they had an emergency preparedness convention less than a year ago IN THE SUPERDOME! At the time, the leader of FEMA declared the convention a huge success. Yet when it came down to it, no one thought to get trucks & buses down there to evacuate the poor people a week ago. No one thought to deploy the Navy hospital ship till Wednesday & now it's not going to be there till NEXT SUNDAY!
The N.O. paper did a huge write up on the levys in 2001, saying, among other things, that they were only designed for a cat.3 storm. So they knew it, at the city state & federal level. But nothing got done to fix it.
Heads are gonna roll on this one..........
Old 09-03-2005, 01:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMason
I listened to this idiot, and I am speachless. Is he not the Mayor of the City? He blamed everyone under the sun except himself. He tried to justify the fact that they were looting, he wants to know why someone didn't safeguard the pump even though "he told" them that it was required. Where is his leadership and responsiblity to his people.

I am sorry this is a terrible tragedy, but when those planes hit the tower, Guliani didn't blame others, he set about making things better for his people, taking control and getting the job done, not whinning.

I made the largest donation I have ever made to go to the victims of this tragedy, I feel terrible for those that have lost everything, but the blame game needs to be played much later.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. It's HIS citizens that are looting and HIS citizens shooting people. HIS police are to be working on that. Guilanni showed great leadership under extremely stressful and difficult times. Maybe we need to fly Guilanni down there and have him take over. If I was down there working the streets and bustin my arse like our troops are and I heard his rantin' I'd grab him by his shirt collar and drag his arse out on the sewer stricken streets and tell him to get to work.

Bottomline is there will be plenty of time for finger pointing and yelling after the mess is cleaned up. IMO he needs to shut up and figure out how to save his city and LEAD the people

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 09-03-2005, 01:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
The Mayor said some thing that make sound like he thinks he's not at fault and that everyone else is.
HE WAS ASKING FOR HELP!
He had been asking for days and getting nothing.
When the Local Government brakes down, the State Government takes over.
If the State Government can not take over the Federal Government has to come in.
It was know what was going to happen might wipe everything out on most of the Gulf Coast days before it happen.
The Feds.should have been ready to move in by Tuesday.
What was done was SURVIVAL of the FITTEST.
THAT IS THE KIND OF CRAP THAT GO ON IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY NOT HERE.
Right now I'm not proud to be a American.
We spend millions of dollars a day to fight a war for a bunch of RagHeads, and then we let this happen at home!
WHO'S TO BLAME WE ALL ARE.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:21 PM
MC Platinum

I agree there is going to be a lot of finger pointing...
I agree it is Ray Nagin's people that are raping, pilaging, blundering their city.
What I don't agree with is why it's taking so long to get anything done, these people are being turned back into the city at the checkpoint.
I've seen or heard about faster relief to Somalia, Afganistan, and other third world countries.

Can you imagine the grief, heartache, helplessness, turmoil these people are going through? I cannot.
I stood in the shower last night and cried, thanking my God that I have the luxury of cleaning myself, providing meals & water for my family and knowing where each one of my family members are!

I see the hurt and pain in these people's faces, I see the frustration in their hearts.
For some reason this disaster hits me harder than the September 11th. attack on the World Trade Centers. I don't know if it's the prolonged agony these people are facing, I don't know if it's the cluster*** that seems to be the relief effot in this situation, I just don't know.
Looting for food, water, clothes & shoes I can see... Looting for big screen TV's, Laptops, Jewelery, etc.... I cannot see. But, that is my opinion

I give Mayor Ray Nagin my best wishes and hope he can keep his sanity throughout all this. I know I would have probably run, hid and got my family to safety by now....but that's why I'm not the mayor. I'm selfish that way....my family comes first.
I've learned that since September 11th. Homeland Security took over a lot of FEMA's internal functions, and FEMA is therefore not able to function autonomously like they one did before the attacks. I've learned that The Red Cross is a civilian entity and cannot enter the city until it is delared "stabilized" and it cannot be stabilized until the bad guys are handled appropiately.

I read one statement that this (New Orleans) is not a natural disaster, it's a manmade disaster... it didn't just happen in 4 days, it happened over 4 decades. Katrina just brought the problem to light to show these people that they had erred in their building of the city. But the same could be said for the cities nead Mt. Saint Helens, the Bay Area Earthquake of 1989. But these people should have and probably did realized that their destruction was eminent. I think Molly Hatchet speaks of it best.... "Flirtin' With Disaster"
But even though they decided to build on shaky ground (sand from years of the Mississippi River silt deposits), they are still human beings.

Holland has an incredible drainage system in place, and one would think that their engineers should be consulted in the rebuilding of New Orleans, but their substrate is granite. (ok, that was left field)
I'm just all twisted emotionally.

I used to think that disasters were nature's way of poplulation control.... kinda like the way coyotes, wolves, and other preditors control overpopulation and disease by killing the weaker, diseased animals. "Survival of the Fittest, if you will", but then I helped take care of my Grandmother in her dieing years and that changed my views on that, but I still think it applies in some sense. (that was from right field)

Old 09-03-2005, 02:24 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
The Mayor said some thing that make sound like he thinks he's not at fault and that everyone else is.
HE WAS ASKING FOR HELP!
He had been asking for days and getting nothing.
When the Local Government brakes down, the State Government takes over.
If the State Government can not take over the Federal Government has to come in.
It was know what was going to happen might wipe everything out on most of the Gulf Coast days before it happen.
The Feds.should have been ready to move in by Tuesday.
What was done was SURVIVAL of the FITTEST.
THAT IS THE KIND OF CRAP THAT GO ON IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY NOT HERE.
Right now I'm not proud to be a American.
We spend millions of dollars a day to fight a war for a bunch of RagHeads, and then we let this happen at home!
WHO'S TO BLAME WE ALL ARE.
John,
I had not read your post before I stated writing my "book" post, and I'm glad to see what you wrote