Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 prostar 205
fuel pick up - 1998 prostar 205

I have never been able to get more than about 2/3 of a tank of use before the fuel seems to "run out" (nuisance but that the way it is). Two days ago the engine started to "starve" at more than 1/2 tank full versus 1/3 full (I had run only 2.8 hrs right after a fill up at our normal fuel station -filled truck too, no problems). If I swung the boat left-right at 2500-3000 rpm, the engine would start to miss/starve be erratic) Straight line, okay until 3300 rpm, then erratic

Is there a filter or screen on the suction side of the fuel pump?
What fuel pump can be used from Autozone etc... for this yr/model if I need to go that route? (I do not believe it is an "in tank" pump but could be wrong)

Is there anything else I could check.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbierwert View Post
I have never been able to get more than about 2/3 of a tank of use before the fuel seems to "run out" (nuisance but that the way it is). Two days ago the engine started to "starve" at more than 1/2 tank full versus 1/3 full (I had run only 2.8 hrs right after a fill up at our normal fuel station -filled truck too, no problems). If I swung the boat left-right at 2500-3000 rpm, the engine would start to miss/starve be erratic) Straight line, okay until 3300 rpm, then erratic

Is there a filter or screen on the suction side of the fuel pump?
What fuel pump can be used from Autozone etc... for this yr/model if I need to go that route? (I do not believe it is an "in tank" pump but could be wrong)

Is there anything else I could check.

Thanks
There's a fuel pickup tube in the tank and it will either have a spring inside to pick up large particles or a screen at the end. You may also have a filter at the outlet of the tank.

Yes, the pump has a screen and it can be clogged and the pump is on the engine.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks - I will check all. Any feeling as to why more of the fuel in the tank was/is never accessible. Is is a design flaw, purposefully designed in that manner or just a problem in my boat?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbierwert View Post
Thanks - I will check all. Any feeling as to why more of the fuel in the tank was/is never accessible. Is is a design flaw, purposefully designed in that manner or just a problem in my boat?
Does this question mean that you looked into the tank where the fuel pickup is and only saw a small chamber? That's so fuel sloshing won't deprive the pickup and avoids jerky engine operation. It takes longer to fill and drain this area, so it buffers the action of the gas in the tank when the level is lower.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

No, I have not looked into the tank. - it was more of a general thought.

Whenever I have run the boat to a point where fuel pick up indicated that we were running "low" on fuel (not often), the most I was ever able to put in was 23+/- gallons which is far less than the rated tank capacity. My usual fill up is 20 gallons so I don't have to worry. I fill up after every 4 hrs of use so I do not have a problem.

I wondered if this was how it was/is designed and thus it was common to be able to use far less than the total capacity of the tank.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I had similar issues like you.....seem to run out of gas and the tank was half full. Mine is a 94' so I don't know if yours looks exactly like mine or not.

For the LT1 engine - The fuel pump is in the engine area on the back side. I replace that and cleaned the screen at the inlet. As you can see below, some nasty stuff can get in there and have the pump starve.

Although the pump helped, it didn't fix the running out at half tank. What I found was that my pick-up tube had been bent or tweeked at some point. I did seal both ends and blow into the pipe where no air escaped (so no holes). But I went ahead and replace just the tube with a new one and presto, it's fixed! I can now use my entire tank of gas!!

Here are some photos of the interior tank within the tank. It looks like a decent setup so to start or run out of fuel on short turns doesn't seem very probably. Gas will stay in that secondary tank for awhile before running out. That's my opinion anyways....

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 AM
TT Newbie

Once again - a good piece with good photos and information. It looks like I have a number of things to do/check/work-on tonight and this weekend.

Where did you find a new pump - There are certainly many suppliers on-line and I have seen people who have referenced autozone, NAPA, etc....

Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
It appears the automotive suppliers have retired manufacture of this pump. Been doing some research. Napa does not seem to have it or are they able to order. Crusader(PCM) and Indmar are still manufacturing.

I am working with a friend to determine which other TBI pump could be substituted for this one. The TBI has a fuel pressure relief at the throttle body which returns to the "y" connection at the fuel pressure relief at the above pictured pump.

My friend ski's and builds fuel systems for racing boats.... hopefully I will find it soon. $300 seems a bit stiff for the current pump - considering it was available for $134.00 - http://napaonline.com/Catalog/Result...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

If it winds up being a marine only high pressure part then the $300 price point may be the going price going forward. At least it will be easy to get and be an easy repair.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Ok the OCD kicked...just spoke with NAPAonline. pump available for $154.00 + S&H. Most stores don't carry but the national selling office has it in inventory.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Well, it looks like the price has definitely gone up on these things!!

Carter Fuel Pump
CARP60962

Same website a year or so ago - $189.95

Now - $309.95

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merch...ory_Code=INDFP
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1

Tags
fuel pickup, fuel pump replacement