Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft 209 Sammy Duvall
I also ski behind a buddies 05 malibu, his heat is way way hot. He has a couple put out hoses also. none of mine pull out. can you swap them out with new so they do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have a 2012 X-30 with the MV8 and my friend has a 2012 Moomba and the heater is much warmer on his boat then mine. He also has 2 pull out hoses while I only have 1.

If anyone has tips for improving the heat i'd also like to hear them.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

and 501, in the straightest way possible, I am insanely jealous of your x-30!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC209 View Post
I also ski behind a buddies 05 malibu, his heat is way way hot. He has a couple put out hoses also. none of mine pull out. can you swap them out with new so they do?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i don't know the specifics of your boat but it should be the same basic design on most boats. you will have an intake hose and a return hose to your core which is basically a radiator like in old houses. hot water comes from the cooling system of the motor and goes through the core and air is blown across it and then through your vents. yes, you can swap out the fixed vents for pull out vents. i think skidim has all the parts. you may not be getting any water to the core. the PO on my boat had just connected the 2 lines at the core when the core started to leak. the fan would still blow air across the core, but it wasn't warm as it wasn't getting water. someone may have put a valve in the hose from the motor to the core. this would be beneficial if the system developed a leak under way and you needed a quick way to shut it off. or it may have been winterized and never reconnected and the hoses are capped at the block.

another possibility is maybe your motor isn't hot. i know this sounds silly, but when my thermostat had a piece of the impeller in it, it was stuck way open and the motor wouldn't get above 120 degrees. this yielded only lukewarm air at best out of the heater. once i fixed the t-stat and got up to 160 degrees it was nice and warm again. i do notice that my heat is a little better when i'm underway. this makes sense since the motor is putting off more energy as heat and the water pump is pumping faster. btw this is on an 02 X30 with 2 vents and 1 fan speed.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Thanks a lot MC209. It is really a great boat, we love it. It does everything well, handles well and has tons of storage.

One more pic.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC209 View Post
is your air "more" warm when going faster?
I'm not sure, I haven't really noticed it but we just bought the boat in May so wer really have limited use with the heater but we have used it a night or two going back to the dock and it worked fine. I'll check this weekend.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, X2, 2010, MXC
I have a X2 2010. The heater is electric and not like a car withcoil and core. I would assume you have a electic issue at heater or heating coils are having issues.

Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteItUp View Post
I have a X2 2010. The heater is electric and not like a car withcoil and core. I would assume you have a electic issue at heater or heating coils are having issues.

Good Luck.
Do you have a picture of it?
Every ski boat heater I've seen is a heater core with a fan, using hot engine water.
If it's not blowing hot air, either there's a valve on the hot side line coming off the intake that is closed not letting hot water to the heatercore, or the outlet hose is routed in a way that it's not allowing good flow thru the heatercore. Skidim sells a "Y" fitting that plumbs into the raw water itnake line that increases the flow thru the heater. It's not too expensive, maybe try that.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have a 2012 X-30 with the MV8 and my friend has a 2012 Moomba and the heater is much warmer on his boat then mine. He also has 2 pull out hoses while I only have 1.

If anyone has tips for improving the heat i'd also like to hear them.
The 2012 heaters were bad from the factory. There is a kit developed that moves your hot water supply port to a hotter portion of the engine, puts in a higher cracking thermostat, and moves your return port to spot to get more flow through the core. A couple of lessons that I've learned the hard way. Make sure when they cap your old supply port, they use a metal cap or plug, not rubber. It will split and cause you a world of problems. Also, make sure they update your software to increase the overheat alarm point. They supposedly have changed production to the higher Tstat, so all you need is the latest software revision. Mine now blows warmer air. It isn't as hot as what my car spits out, but it's a ton better than what it used to be.

As far as the OP, it looks like you've got an older boat, so this won't apply to you. Try to find your heater lines coming off the engine. When the engine's warmed up, feel the lines to see if one of them is warm/hot. If not, you're not getting flow to the core.

You can also look into getting a Y pipe to plumb your return line into your water pump inlet. This helps increase the flow through the core.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
A couple of things . . .
- Pull the heater supply and return hoses off the engine and see if you can blow through them, just to make sure there isn't something blocking them and/or the core.
- Try the reverse and blow INTO the engine outlet port; maybe a piece of rust or other deposit in the water jacket shifted and is partially blocking the outlet.
- Check your tranny cooler on the raw water intake side to make sure there is no gunk like weeds partially blocking it. My heater was noticeably cooler last week and I discovered lots of weeds in there. Strangely, the engine temp still read normal.

I did the heater install myself last year and it works fine. I used the Y-adapter from SkiDim that was mentioned above and I get good heat at idle and great heat when under way.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for all the imput gents. I will be checking so see if the intake to the core is on or off. I didnt realize their is a shut off and that this couldve been the problem. I will check it out and let you all know. If I still cant get it figured out I will take some pics and post them up!

Tags
209, heater