Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 stars and stripes
Advise on a pylon extension

We are thinking of getting a fly high or some type of pylon extension for our 85 S&S. We mainly slalom and the kids tube and knee board. We only want one so we can get the rope over the back seat because we usually have a full boat when we go and hate having to make people wait on the bank. We wanted thoughts to see if anyone has ever shortened a pole to a height where the rope will miss the passengers heads but not be so tall.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 mastercraft stars and stripes 351w
i have the same boat. i have a pylon extention. they r great. i dont know the sizes but i think they come in a few sizes. watch pulling tube off the top of them. i dont know how much it could take. i pull tubes from the bottom. hope this helps.

oneday
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 1985 PowerSlot 351 Ford
I used to have an '85 S&S, and when my kids all got into wakeboarding I bought a Fly High X pole. It was awesome, because the back seat did become useable. But not for the purposes you suggest.

You do not want to pull slalom or tubes from the high point. Just wakeboarding from it tended to loosen the pylon.

I thought of, but never did, installing a transom ski eye. I think this would be a better option if you don't wakeboard. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D...FSdvTAod7nsAWw
Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
I custom built mine, I used 2.5" Id heavy wall pipe and welded a trailer ball up top for a rope mount, welded an ilet ring on the front for a support strap.. Mine is over 6 ft tall but works great for skiing and wakeboarding/ knee boarding.. I would think 4-5ft tall one would work for what your wanting, definitely support it to the bow, and if you go to tall with slolam you will fell the pull on the boat, kinda like it's gonna turn over.. I'm 5-10 180 and on a wakeboard I can make a fully loaded prostar 190 list when I'm cutting out to the sides.. Just depends on how extreme you get on slolam.. If you can't build it your self check with a local welding shop.. I'll try to get a couple pictures of mine all mounted up in the boat tomorrow for ya to give you an idea

Sent from the pay phone down the street via tapatalk
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Put the people you don't like in the back of the boat. Your issues will be over by the end of summer!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Fly High Aluminum X-Pole here. We only knee and Wakeboard from the top. It has a ski tow at normal pylon height. I use a harness from the stern lift rings for pulling tubes. The Fly High is very solid when the cables are properly tensioned. Easy up/easy down install/removal.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I wouldn't consider using the extended pylon for slalom with anyone who is going to give a solid cut. If they're just getting up and maybe crossing the wake it should be no problem. I wouldn't even consider pulling a tube from one. Kneeboard should be no issue, and obviously they are mad for the wakeboards, though when there's an adult back there they can certainly cause us to list from port to starboard substantially. Might consider pulling the fuel tank over the winter and installing a tow eye with a bit of reinfocement on the inside of the hull to keep it from damaging your transom. Demolition man did an amazing restoration that had one. That thread is still here somewhere. Give me a second, wait for it,

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38619

There it is.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the responses! My husband could build one, he is excellent at fabricating. Just wondering tho if the fly high poles are the same diameter for the length of the pole? He was thinking of buying one and cutting it off to the height we need so we don't decapitate our passengers! Lol! Or we could just do as Tex suggest :-)
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
TT Regular

Thanks mad! Will check it out! We don't wakeboard at all and our son is just now starting to knee board and hopefully will learn to ski in a year or so. He is 4 now.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Grab the combos and take him with you. My daughter and her friends ate that up until they learned on their own. Also, any time they spend behind the boat is quality time.