Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
why do people hate boats?

Well, here we go again. I have had to deal with a neighborhood association again with my boat. While I am currently between residences in Lubbock and A-town, I have had to keep the boat at a friend's house for last 3 weeks while I secure storage in Lubbock. Well, I got a call from my friend yesterday asking me to move it because the neighborhood association sent him a nasty letter. He had no idea it was a problem and there are other homeowners on that particular street that have boats and jet skis. I understand the desire for a neighborhood to retain it's value and help those trying to sell their homes, but this neighborhood is no high scale "hood". Every home on this block looks exactly alike, and if you have been to Austin then you have seen these developments out north west. So, I have had to bring it to my current place, where boats are a definite no, no. So, in order to quell the neo-nazi neighborhood assoc. I have placed signs on the boat stating it will be removed by Thursday. I sure hope that works, because it is absolutely rediculous that this town is so sh**ty to boatowners. I just don't understand it. I mean you have the biggest POS car sitting in your driveway for 4 years and nothing is every done, but holy crap! "That's a boat in your driveway, I gonna call the neighborhood police and tell on you because your devaluing our homes with your classic, immaculately clean boat!"

I just don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, just had to do it.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Leroy

Here, here! I've also been served notice in present and last home under similar conditions, short term parking at house getting ready for vacation, returning, or waiting to take to dock. I just wish they would talk to me, but they have to call the association president and make a big deal. Reminds me of when DSS satellite dishes came out in '94, now look.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Something similar happened to me a few years ago. We were in the process of moving into our new house, moving van in the driveway at the time along with my Barefoot 200 still connected to my truck, and an upset niebhor came over and proceeded to explain the deed resrictions to me and that I could not keep my boat in the driveway or in the street in front of the house. I inturn pulled out my deed paperwork and they reed just that "no boats in driveways or in the street in front of your house"

So what did I do you ask, I proceeded to park my boat in the front yard and left it there for 3 weeks! I wanted to surround it with pink flamingos, but my wife said I had already made my point.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88' MC Prostar
The amazing part is if the people that made these complaints would walk up and talk to their neighbor ( something no one does anymore) all of these "issues" would be taken care of. The association is the main reason I sold my first townhose and bought my house. (thank you Witchy woman from around the block I'm better off now) I at the time had a border collie that I would throw a ball to in the middle section of the lawn "off the leash" I was threatend umpteen times about having the dog on a leash. GOODBYE TOWNHOUSE. The stories go on and on with stuff like this.
One Idea might be to do a premptive strike and send notice to the association about the boat being there short term. By the time they get back to you with a threatening letter, the boat will be gone!

Sounds like another good thread "Rants about Homeowners Associations"

that might even beat the swimsuit thread. NOT
Old 09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
Footin, The lawn, that's a classis
Old 09-01-2004, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
I once stayed at a waterfront community at lake Tahoe. They had a pier and boat moorings but the association rules did not allow boats or trailers on the property..go figure! I had to pay to store our trailer at a facility 5 miles away.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
bonedoc

Wink

yeah...love the lawn thing.

It's all about the rules...and how to bend them. Similar thing happened last year while I was making a reservation at a campground. They wouldn't take a reservation for a tent. Their reason was that teens sleep in tents, and they don't want a bunch of teens partying and making noise. Despite assurances I was far past my teens and very responsible and considerate, they would not make the reservation. So, I said fine, I would come with a tent-trailer, and she said fine, she would reserve me a spot. She didn't look overly impressed when I pulled up with my dome tent set up on top of my snowmobile trailer....but it was a "tent trailer", and we got in.

If any of you need a place to keep your boat, I have 40 acres you are welcome to. The drive might be a little long though....
Old 09-01-2004, 12:52 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Home associations can serve a purpose, but I'm with bonedoc! Buy land and do with it what you wish, to a certain point.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
While I can understand how and why you guys are disgruntled, I cant believe you donít see the protective covenants as a good thing. I agree someone coming up to you and complaining after one day while getting ready for vacation or sneaking to the HOA with a complaint is bull****, but thatís just your azzhole neighbors.

I donít think anyone really hates boats. When I built my house I signed a copy of the covenants. Now when I am sitting on my porch I donít have to look at busses or campers or fishing boats, sail boats or commercial vehicles of any kind. Unfortunately that means I donít get to look at ski boats either. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I guess Iím lucky because just as I tolerate and understand my neighbors need to occasionally service prohibited equipment at home, they tolerate and understand my needs too.

Also you are aware the HOA is nearly powerless. All bark. The power they do have would more than likely cost more to enforce than they are willing to spend. So if you need your boat at home for a while, ignore them if you truly feel they are being unreasonable. But keep in mind you may end up sitting on your porch watching the weeds grow up through the fenders of a camper next door

Old 09-01-2004, 12:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
The lawn thing is great! Especially if you could have gotten the flamingoes!

I've heard that associations really can't do anything if it ends up in the courts... But - then again - I'm not a law speakin guy.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.