Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Newbie looking at a 1998 30th anniversary edition

Hi. I recently purchased a 1984 Stars and Stripes to "get back into the game" and start skiing again after being away from it for 20 years. Needless to say, Ive caught the bug. I love my stars and stripes as its my first Mastercraft, however im back in the game to stay, and I always loved the 98 anniversary edition stars and stripes. Im seriously considering upgrading but am unsure what a fair price is for one of these. From what I have read the 93's are preferred over the 98's for slalom waterskiing and that the 98's have an issue of sidespray. What are the pros and cons and what can I expect to pay for a nice example of one of these boats. Im looking at a 98 right now with 600 hours, and with the exception of the decals on the seat missing and the trailer not being as clean as the boat, it seems to be rock solid. It doesnt have perfect pass, a shower or a heater, all things that I would like to have but it does have the LT1 engine that is powdercoated blue. The asking price is $13,500.00. My friends and family think I should just keep my classic and be satisfied with what I have. I need input. What are your thoughts and/or opinions? Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Pictures. Need to have pictures...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
98 Prostar

Limited knowledge on this but I'll share what I do know. I'd say that price is very good given the condition you described. I just sold (3 weeks ago) a 96 Prostar 190 with 428 hours on it that was very clean for $13,500 to the first guy that came and looked at it. I am pretty sure I could have gotten $14 but this guy was a straight shooter and was great to deal with which is worth something to me. It had the LT-1 engine option and was very strong, I don't think you'll be disappointed with that. As far as that boat goes, per my father-in-law, who has been skiing behind a mastercraft for 30 years, this boat has some tracking issues. I have heard that there was a retrofit fix which was a foil fin on the bottom of the rudder and have seen pictures of a horizontal addition to the rudder on these boats. I am pretty sure that this was the only ski boat mastercraft ever made that didnt qualify as a tournament tow boat.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p?t=621&page=2

Some interesting stuff about chine lock and to prove I'm not crazy about the horizontal deal on the rudder.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Thanks for the info. This is exactly the stuff that I am looking for. I had never heard of that issue with the hull, however I had noticed in certain classifieds that people were mentioning a fourth fin, and so on. My issue really is that Im spending alot of time on the boat and am trying to justify the added expense of a newer one. My current boat is rough around the edges (original upholstery neeeds work etc), but its solid. I know that after I get the boat the way I want it that the cost will probably exceed that of what I pay for the 98.....or at the very least far exceed the value of the boat. Quite frankly after I put that many hours into working on something Im going to be less inclined to use it and damaging it. The older I get the more I want to play with my toys rather than work on them
Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The story of the 1998 Pro Star 190 is a long one, but as far as what people like and dislike about them, I'll try to summarize.

What they like: Beautiful boat, nice rough water ride, good wide beam, great engine options with lots of torque.

What they don't like. Wake is a bit firm and the steering is a little sluggish/heavy compared to the two earlier generations of the Pro Star 190.

There is no tracking issue or side spray issue of which I am aware. To the contrary, these boats do extremely well with spray.

In the end, you need to go ski behind the boat and drive it. That is the only way to make a truly informed decision or valid comparison between it and the boat you currently own.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 08-28-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
Have you considered searching for a 93 Prostar 190???

Hook Em' Horns
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Tango II View Post
Hi. I recently purchased a 1984 Stars and Stripes to "get back into the game" and start skiing again after being away from it for 20 years. Needless to say, Ive caught the bug. I love my stars and stripes as its my first Mastercraft, however im back in the game to stay, and I always loved the 98 anniversary edition stars and stripes. Im seriously considering upgrading but am unsure what a fair price is for one of these. From what I have read the 93's are preferred over the 98's for slalom waterskiing and that the 98's have an issue of sidespray. What are the pros and cons and what can I expect to pay for a nice example of one of these boats. Im looking at a 98 right now with 600 hours, and with the exception of the decals on the seat missing and the trailer not being as clean as the boat, it seems to be rock solid. It doesnt have perfect pass, a shower or a heater, all things that I would like to have but it does have the LT1 engine that is powdercoated blue. The asking price is $13,500.00. My friends and family think I should just keep my classic and be satisfied with what I have. I need input. What are your thoughts and/or opinions? Thanks
I bought my 98 Anniversary 190 new in the spring of 99. I have 660 hours on it and they have been great. There was a retro fit to the hull with the addition of hydro rails and a rudder which most 98's have to this point. I haven't heard of too many that don't have the upgrade. If you were to take a picture of the transom of the boat I can tell you if it has the rails on it. The chine lock issue mentioned was corrected with the rudder update. The addition of the hydro rails softened the wake a little as it helped lift the back of the boat at slalom speeds. To my knowledge the boat was still certified to pull tournaments. My boat has the 4th fin. I haven't heard of too many that didn't have the 4th fin.

I mainly slalom and foot behind my boat and it has plenty of power. I pulled 3 footers behind my boat at the Buckeye Bash two weekends ago and the footers were pleased with the power. My buddy that is a pretty good slalom skiier doesn't complain about skiing behind my boat at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCmni6yMiJs

The interiors in the 98's are great with the exception of the 30th decal that comes off. But I have a thread about this.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ry+restoration

I also have done this for two other members on here and here is how one of theirs came out.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ry+restoration

I don't have any complaints about my boat other than with the growing family it would be nice to have either a 197 or an older 205 for a little more room, but overall I like having a classic closed bow ski boat.

Maintenance and repairs, I had to replace a muffler once which was covered under warranty and a damper plate that was installed by Indmar incorrectly. Other than those two issues, the boat has been bulletproof. If I had to do it over again I would have bought this boat again.

If you have any other questions let me know.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Oh, and the blue LT-1 is 350 HP as opposed to the standard LT-1 which is 330 HP......and it looks cool!

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Good info CP. I didn't know that the rudder upgrade solved the chine lock issue. Were the 30th anniversary editions limited to a production of 30?

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.