Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakebrdr94 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP1_P...e_gdata_player

Here is a video of it on the fly on just a vlx
Pretty much shows the same thing, weight the boat evenly across and then activate the gate to switch sides.

I don't think I have ever seen a boat makes its best wave while being weight evenly across the boat. That said, once you do weight it down more on one side then the other the gate would become useless.

I know Jason at wakemakers did some work on making a system that would pump water from one side of the boat to other while filling a sac which cut the time to go from goofy to normal side in half. I'm sure it would cost less to do something like that.

Good luck to whomever takes on this challenge.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
There's definitely something wrong with the MXZ with surfgate, with that spray ruining the wake, lot of reports from owners...that vid isnt really representative of the gate...and ***, long boards ??!!

That's right the X2 transom isnt flat and the easiest (for me) is to go for two customs stainless steel tabs...

About being a game changer...Well we sure need some more time and i think even malibu is going to Tweak their system a little...but even with my small prototypes i could create a better wake with twice less ballast after a few runs...on the other hand it took me a full season to dial the surf wake with standard ballast méthod.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
Looks like the spray is created from water coming over top of the gate. That could be fixed with a taller gate. To install a taller gate the platform would have to be raised so the top of platform would remain flush with the top of the gate.

I see this as a safer way to create a surf wake that doesn't require weighting a boat so severely that the water is coming over the rub rail and gives riders more time on the water and less time ballasting the boat.

This looks to be very promising technology and like all tech there is always room for improvement. Think of it this way: How many of you add ballast to you bat because the factory engineered universal version needed "improvement"?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star
yeah that video was shot down in burley and that is local mu dealer they have had about 6 or so come in on order they didn't have much ballast if any more like no ballast and the wedge down cause the back of the boat was way out of the water and that longboard is beyond me guess anything goes around here i've watched a couple other lsv and vtx and mxz and they do good with the gate deployed but not its any better then a new x-25 or rz4 or enzo, with just factory ballast, what about making the flap the same shape of the back of hull bottom hinge mounts prefect flat top hinge would be mount with a twist back at a 30 degree angle and it would be a very similar design maybe cut into the swim deck alittle so its flush mounted when not in use. also i don't think they are big enough on those boats maybe couple inches longer would do the trick 22" mu maybe 26" would be my idea
Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
Well i don't plan to modify my platform to leave some Space when tabs is closed. It Will come along the stock platform...Will just add some flat pieces on top of the tabs so it doesn't make a sharp where someone could be injures !

More than 22" tabs ? Well i guess malibu already tried this and if they didnt keep this solution...i'll just copy their tabs like the average moron !! :-)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 WS VLX
I'm wondering if the tabs are proportionate to the boat. 22" for lsv, 20" for VLX. I'd have to imagine a one size fits all wouldn't work
Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

i got to look at 3 mu today all with surfgate and measured them and took a bunch of photos and understand the system alot better the actual quality isn't all that great basic stuff thats pretty much all off the shelf parts the gate is only thing they designed and built along with the swim deck. everything i've seen and have been told is that 22" is the length for all the surfgate system one size fits all wakesetters 21-24 ft boats
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

I got my test gate out and ended up with a larger then 22" to make the wake better its a temp mounted to the swim platform and running a starboard surf tab at 60% down port all the way up 1/2 tank of fuel nobody but me in the boat and all ballast full my total system with 4 bags and 3 factory tanks is right 3300 lbs with 300 being lead weight in the x-star, zero boat lean! i had a buddy show later that day and i surfed it best wave i've ever rode period making some more changes on another test piece before i make the final gates and mount to the transom and it was depolyed at 35-40 degree angle worked the best speed is 12 mph

Last edited by thamax; 09-04-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Hard to argue with that picture. Keep the updates coming!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Best surf wave I've seen on a Star! I have a customer here wanting to install on a MC. What are your thoughts on a vertical Lenco trim tab? How did the boat drive?