Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Fix for 03-08 trailer fix for Reliable Actuator

Since MC wants $800 for one of their remaining Reliable actuators, I decided to do the good old American thing and look for another path to freedom.

We cut off the ENTIRE swing arm and actuator housing between the pivot and the riser for the bow stop. We installed the Fulton, bolt on pivot assembly, which is actually cool looking (kind of over-built looking).

Then, studded and painted a new piece of 3x4 trailer tubing out of that to a new bolt on actuator. Trailer looks a lot heftier now - pivot is around $160, the Titan actuator $300 (actuator, housing, everything needed up front). Pivot and actuator are both anodized, so they match and are SHINY. I like Shiny.

So we are no longer shackled to an obselete Reliable Actuator or ridiculous markup in case it needs further repair.

This keeps from having to disassemble the entire front end for welding on a newer actuator to an existing pivot arm, or worse.

If your trailer doesn't have a swing away tongue, the Fulton can be added for less than $200 and chances are, you can do it yourself. Just make sure and get the right size for your particular tubing.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Got any pics of the finished product?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

I will soon - keep it at the lake - I'll get them posted asap.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Would really like to see photos!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
I have just recently noticed that brake fluid is leaking from the master cylinder.

Problem like everyone else is finding out Reliable is no longer making the actuators and/or stocking any replacement parts. Talking to Reliable directly netted a big zero.

I find it hard to believe they didn't take a readily available master cylinder and installed it in their actuator head. The question is who made the cylinder? And can it readily be obtained?

If they designed their own then we are totally out of luck...

Has anyone found a solution to this short of using the Fulton swivel (which by the way is an enticing idea) and adding a readily available and easy to get parts for actuator?