Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Repowering Fuel Injected Boat

I've been doing as much homework as possible since I got my project in January and wanted to get some input from you anyone that may have some similar experience.

My concerns are is I've only been able to talk to three people about what I need to accomplish.

What I've been told is that no matter what I do if I cannot re-use my old FI then anything new I get from Indmar, PCM, Mercruiser etc, i will be moving from a cable actuated throttle to a digital throttle control and will have to add the controller to my conversion cost. Not only will the controller need to be replaced, it is my understanding that I will have to convert my MMDC computer and gauges as well.

Let me know how far I am off. I have tried calling mastercraft and indmar about replacement parts for my current Fuel injetion but they have been unresponsive. It would be nice to get some feedback from anyone who's done a couple repowers.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I would think there would be options that would work without going from cable to throttle by wire.

You say you want to repower your boat. What do you have and what do you want to go with?

Re-powering doesn't have to be some crazy over the top rework but you'll have to stay within the limits of your current ECM. That said, you're going to need to change the CAL file but with out a dyno or some sort of data logging you have no chance at getting it right.

You may want to contact Arizona Speed and Marine. They do custom tuning for boats.

What are your reasons for wanting to change the motor?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Okay someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

1) There are options without all the mess.
2) Still don't understand why you aren't looking for the same engine as factory?
3) The gauges CAN work without using the mmdc. What I mean by that is some can be processed by the mmdc but others would not. The fuel, etc would all be controlled by it and then the oil pressure, temp, etc would all just be old school. Not perfect but its not a perfect boat either (no offense meant)
4) My merc doesn't use the factory in tank fuel setup. There is a master and a slave fuel pump that are mounted on the engine. I prefer this setup b/c of the obvious mc issues with pumps. Never have to worry about the 1/4 tank rule but the plumbing is not in depth and its a cable setup. NO THROTTLE by wire!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

I need to Repower because my engine was destroyed by saltwater, including the intake manifold. The LTR engine and intake manifold are no longer made and I can't reuse the old injection system without it, so I need to find a complete motor, with injection to make this boat run again. N top of that it all has to work with my MMDC and gauges.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Have you talked to the folks at Michigan Motorz? Or Jegs.. check this thread... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...134#post919134 for a repower....
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Mike - it is WAY simpler when you don't have to find FI to match the boat's electronics.

I forget the specific thread, but I am under the impression this boat is in the unhappy valley between carbs and modern and available FI componentry.

46Chief - are you sure the intake manifold is that special? Have you taken you old one to someone like an engine shop to see if you could just buy a part from somewhere like Jegs or world industries? You may need adapter and spacer type plates, but I'd be surprised if that manifold isn't darned similar to something somewhere else in the performance engine world.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Check ebay, It might be easier to swap to a carburetor.

Used 2001 Mercruiser inboard Engine 350 bobtail http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-2001-Me...d18fa0&vxp=mtr

NEW MERCRUISER 350 MAG MPI 300 HP http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MERCRUIS...cf7996&vxp=mtr

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
I've been doing as much homework as possible since I got my project in January and wanted to get some input from you anyone that may have some similar experience.

My concerns are is I've only been able to talk to three people about what I need to accomplish.

What I've been told is that no matter what I do if I cannot re-use my old FI then anything new I get from Indmar, PCM, Mercruiser etc, i will be moving from a cable actuated throttle to a digital throttle control and will have to add the controller to my conversion cost. Not only will the controller need to be replaced, it is my understanding that I will have to convert my MMDC computer and gauges as well.

Let me know how far I am off. I have tried calling mastercraft and indmar about replacement parts for my current Fuel injetion but they have been unresponsive. It would be nice to get some feedback from anyone who's done a couple repowers.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52220
Check post # 3
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Not ready to give up on it yet Bouyhead. Want to tempt me with an offer though?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
Not ready to give up on it yet Bouyhead. Want to tempt me with an offer though?
2 grand any day. PM me