Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '92 190 Prostar and the new project '05 X Star (Indmar 350 MCX)
Just bought X Star '05 as a project

Hi all,

Thought I'd quickly drop a post onto the forum. Myself and a mate have just bought an '05 X Star with the 350 MCX engine, we got it for a keen price as the engine is going to need some work (or possibly be replaced).

Engine situation is this:

1) Engine won't turn (but the starter is trying to turn the engine - you can see if straining)
2) Most of the plugs are in well tight (seized in)
3) We got one plug out, and the tip was very rusty
4) Looking into the oil fill hole on the rocker cover, the valve springs seemed pitted with rust
5) But, checking the oil, it seemed pretty ok (not emulsified)

How would you guys go about investigating the engine not turning? What would you do first?

And for the worst case scenario, how difficult is it to pull the engine out?

Cheers in advance.... Adrian
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Any rust on the engine parts under the valve cover or on the tips of the spark plugs is a huge problem The fact that the the engine will not turn you could also have a seized block
I'd remove the engine from the boat, teardown and do a complete overhaul bottom to the top
or get a small block rebuild and slap the intake, fuel system and electricals back on
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Before pulling the engine see if you can get it to break free. I've done this before with another boat I bought as a project. When I did this the last time we pulled all the plugs out and put a couple ounces of transmission fluid in each cylinder loosely put the plugs back in and let it sit for a week. After letting it sit we came back pulled the plugs again and tired to turn it over with the starter. When that didn't work we got a breaker bar on the crank shaft and started rocking it. After a couple minutes the engine broke free. We then once again with the plugs out hit the starter and the engine turned over very quickly blowing the trans fluid out of the cylinders. After we had a feed up block we put the plugs back in and fired it up never racing the engine. The idea was to get it up to temperature and freed up.

After about an hour of run time over the next two days we did a compression check and we had less that a pound difference between cylinders so left the engine alone. I had that boat for 3 years and never tore the engine apart. One other note though.... If this engine is froze up from sitting that would mean the the gas throughout the fuel system is also toast. You'll need to get rid of all the gas in the fuel system too. Another thought would be to use one of the many newer specialty penetrating fluids that are available these day in place of the trans fluid. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 PM
TT Regular

Well we collected our new project yesterday and today we had a good look at the engine to find out why it wouldn't turn. Firstly we got all the plug out (needed a breaker bar on most), they all looked pretty corroded. Next step, we took off the exhaust risers (so we could take a look in the exhaust ports) - and when they came off unfortunately we could see the problem - water!

Next step, we took the heads off and the barrels are corroded, as are the pistons and the heads (see picture). Looks like it's had water in through the exhaust manifold.

So, next step is to take the engine out and to inspect it. Can you guys advise if you'd take the engine out with the V drive attached, or would you remove the V drive first? And how do you get the engine out of an X Star (there seems to be a fibre glass cross member over the V Drive that looks like it would get in the way).

Also, as the head, barrel and pistons are corroded would you buy a new engine - or would you get the barrels re-honed, get new pistons etc? (assuming the bottom end is ok)
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
You won't likely be able to hone out that much corrosion but will need to completely disassemble the engine to determine if it can be salvaged. You could have lifters rusted in the block and other problems as well. Based on the corrosion on the engine mounts , it looks like it might have been underwater or swamped? Is that what happened? If so you probably want to pull and clean all the electrical connections to ensure no corrosion as well.

Last edited by Rossterman; 09-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
ouch! looks as though someone pulled that bad boy up from the deep blue after it was down for a long time
can you say new block, valves and possibly new tranny
if I remember correctly there was a new MCX on ebay for around $8k
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
You won't likely be able to hone out that much corrosion but will need to completely disassemble the engine to determine if it can be salvaged. You could have lifters,rusted in the block and other problems as well. Based on. All the coroners ion on the engine mounts , it looks like it might have been underwater or swamped? Is that what happened? If so you probably want to pull and clean all the electrical connections to ensure no corrosion as well.
Good points ref. the lifters etc Rossterman. We're looking to pull the engine next weekend (probably take the transmission out first - bit worried about that too). We bought the boat last week so we don't know the history - although we thought it had water ingestion after pulling a few plugs when we first looked at the boat and yes we suspect it's be swamped or under water (and then not cleaned up after) - but strangely the oil looks pretty ok. We purchased the boat at a very keen price so new lump is in our budget.

I'll pull the transmission and engine and update you all.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 mastercraft x2
that picture is eerily similar to my project i just took on. in my boat (same engine, predator 310). and as you guessed, water came in through the exhaust manifolds. your best bet is to get that engine to an engine rebuilder. that engine needs a full rebuild, and most likely several brand new parts.

also, you will be tempted to get a different engine that you may find used somewhere, but trust me, use the same engine. it will save you tons of stress and messing around getting the wiring to work with a differnt engine.

as for removal, you need to take all the seats out of the boat, and part of the floor. the ski pylon can stay, but the seats and fiberglass are easily removeable so that the engine and trans can come out together.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Motor mount looks very rusty, either plenty of salt water use or that bilge had a lot of water in it.

Is there water mixed in the trans fluid? I wonder if that boat has ever been sunk before?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft 209 Sammy Duvall
I am thinking it has been sitting underwater for some time...

Tags
350 mcx seized