Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars & Stripes, 1984, 351,
Send a message via Yahoo to sargentino
Boat looks good.... I agree , Remove the bimini off for the pictures and wax the heck out of it!!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1985 mastercraft s&s
Thanks guys I appreciate your input.. What do you guys think is a fair value for this boat?? Considering the interior isnt original? Will it be worth more in 2 years (30 years old)? How can i tell on the vin # if its a stars and stripes edition?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft29 View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate your input.. What do you guys think is a fair value for this boat?? Considering the interior isnt original? Will it be worth more in 2 years (30 years old)? How can i tell on the vin # if its a stars and stripes edition?
Look.... let me give you an honest opinion so you have a baseline for expectations.... All being said in an honest and open manner, no harm intended....

After 33 years of fooling with the 79 - 85 era boats exclusively, I have a particular preference and smell for a decent boat....

The color scheme appears to have been painted over the original gel coat. I am making that assumption because I have never seen an 85 make in that solid black but please correct me if I am wrong...

A painted boat (usually auto paint with a clear coat) makes me immediately walk away from a boat. That and a tower on a slalom hull boat. However some folks are willing to live with it. If I were looking for a budget boat with a painted-over gelcoat, then fine...

The decals are less than attractive for my taste because I have a passion for the original configuration and appearance of these boats, as I suspect most people do.

Same for the interior. That is not a professional quality interior job and is certainly just as you say, not original, again, a negative selling point for me.

If I were looking to buy, I'd offer you no more than $4,000, depending on the mechanical condition, and knowing that I would be dropping another $2,000 in interior and carpet, No ifs, ands, or buts about how good, new, or attractive the carpet and interior may be. I always do new skins by a professional that is near my place and I'll lay in new grey carpet, even if the carpet is brand new from the previous owner.

So that puts me up to having $6,000 in an 85 that is still painted-over black with funny decals. Surely to goodness you didn't do those decals like that () .

Now, there still lies the other components that I would replace for the sake of knowing I had a reliable machine... impeller, fuel pump, new exhaust hoses, new fuel lines, new battery, and anything else that needs fixing. If you still have points in the boat, I'd have to drop another $150 into an elecrtonic conversion kit....That is not the original trailer and it too would not appeal to me to want to buy the boat. I would suspect the original was stolen and sold or rusted and ruined by salt or brackish water.... whatever reason, there is a loss of value to you.

The windshield frame looks damaged or degraded at the joints, the dash panels are pure butt-ugly and not original, the steering wheel is even uglier than the dash panels....

Are you still with me? So there is another $1,000 more or less... Now we're up to $7,000 for an 85 and still have the painted-over gelcoat....

I'll stop right there and please don't think I'm trying to insult you. I'm just telling you as I have said before, this crowd here is knowledgeable and a tough sell....I'm particular about even a steal of a deal regardless of the asking price.

I do not even know the hours on the engine or the condition of it, let alone other considerations upon inspection before I would buy... compression check, examination for JB Weld repairs to a poorly winterized engine, the condition of the carb, the way it starts, idles, and runs, the condition of the flooring under the carpet, any leaks in the deck-to-hull, packing leaks, transmission performance on a test drive, trailer condition, ever been in salt water, the platform condition, loose platform mounting lag screws in the transom, all instrument gauges working..... on and on....

The way it sits now and the appeal it brings to my personal preference ==> $4,000 - $4,500...$5k tops if the trailer was in good shape (and it's not).... This year model in good condition is going for $6k - $8k at most. Other folks are asking prices that will not be productive in a sale or they feel their market area will bear a buyer, but others also want their money back when they in fact fail to realize that beyond a true market value, all other costs and improvements are merely a sunken cost to the owner....

It will not be worth more in two more years. Maybe a litte but typically the boat will remain at a current market value with given conditions of the boat.

The hull ID number will not tell if you have a Stars boat. Fact is the 85 year make is the skier 19 model that came in this exterior design with color options. Nothing more or less as far as being an 85 model. The hull ID merely tells what year the boat was manufactured.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 08-26-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 86 19' skier 351 PCM
In the words of Lester Bangs "you have to be honest and unmerciful".

Last edited by byronic; 08-26-2012 at 09:16 PM.