Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X2 5.7 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
Op wanted to know how people can afford new MC's. With the 10's of thousands of households that make 100k plus in a year, a 1400 payment on a 10 year loan for a 100K boat is a walk in the park. Most dual income families here in Fort Mac that I know would be at 300K plus a year. At 40% tax that's still 160K a year or about 14K net a month.

Most people I know affiliated with Oil and Gas in Calgary or Edmonton are over six-figures just for their personal wages. Hell, a buddy of mine sells cars at Dodge dealership and makes over 100K.

Point is plenty of people out there with money...
Plenty of money in AB, but that is soley based on O&G. Take that away and we would be like everyone else. We are very lucky we have that to drive our economy. Just go downtown Calgary and see what kind of vehicles are being driven around..... makes buying a expensive new boat look easy.

The dealerships also finance new and used boats for 20 year terms.......
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
For me it took 5 boats to finally be able to buy a new MC. The first 4 boats were financed, then for each upgrade, my loans got smaller but the boats got more elabrate. Finally with the X25, I just brought in a certified check along with my 4th boat for trade in. Its a great feeling to walk out with a new boat and not have to go through the financing process - much faster

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
Yeah I seen that on the westside the last time that I came through there. I don't know what they are selling though as I can't see them selling MC as well as Rayburns
They don't have MC right now, but I bet dimes to doughnuts they will before long. They are already proven, highest volume MC dealer worldwide. And Rayburns are beyond tough to deal with, from sales to service and parts, they aren't in the same league as Martin.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
If they were to get the MC line then they would have to move from where they are IMO

I know nothing about MMS from personal involvement

MONKEY FACE
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Here is my path, probably typical for a middle class slub. Bought a used inboard for $8000 and paid for it over time. Sold it after 5 years for about what I paid. During that time, I saved some money and bought a new 1999 Malibu for $22,000 with a small loan from Waterski America in Dallas. Had that boat for 2 seasons and sold it. I bought an older MC 205 for a great deal. I had a small loan on it. Sold that boat pretty quickly for a good profit. Bought a used MC 195 for cash. I kept that boat for 7 years before I sold it. I was then able to order a new boat and pay cash.

My story took from 1995 to 2008. I was also buying and selling as prices and the economy were doing good.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Its all in the priorities. Just bought a 2004 230 VRS for 32K. My wife and I paid cash, reason being that a ski boat is a luxury item and not a I got to have it to make a living or feed myself. We felt if we really wanted a new one we should be able to pay for it like big boys and girls, now we have different priorities than other folks our age (36-39).

We have no children and 2 dogs, with no children going to happen. we are happiest when we are together on the boat. We make it a priority, weather permitting...

However, we could have just as easily taken our cash and made a nice downpayment on a new X2 or X30 even...just did not want a note on a boat...got a mortgage, got 1 car note (mine), thats enough for us. would rather be able to put as much gas in the boat as I can burn than pay a $600 note everymonth...

Its all about priorities...People can afford anything they want, they just usually afford everything they want...we wanted a boat, found a way to afford it...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
There's no doubt that each buyer has his/her reasons for purchasing and paying in whatever manner they choose. It's an individual thing.

My boats have always been purchased used because I can spend fewer dollars and still have a blast on the water. More dollars to spend on gas is always more important to me. I have an 83 S+S that still looks good runs good a loads of fun for me. How much more do I really need?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Balance, Grasshopper. Three young teens that will all be college bound, one income, 50 years old. Money goes into the IRA every month and what's left is just enough to pay the mortgage, bills, food, healthcare and boating. . .barely. Bought an '07 197TT last September for $28K cash, and that felt indulgent. Could have bought something cheaper or not at all. But I believe in "buy right once" and MC fulfills that philosophy. "But is it a wise investment?" Absolutely--every weekend is a holiday where we make memories and reconnect. To paraphrase the old adage, you probably won't find any tombstones that say "Wish I Never Bought that Boat". Be sensible. . .have fun. . . life's too short to be paranoid and too long to be reckless.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
Balance, Grasshopper. Three young teens that will all be college bound, one income, 50 years old. Money goes into the IRA every month and what's left is just enough to pay the mortgage, bills, food, healthcare and boating. . .barely. Bought an '07 197TT last September for $28K cash, and that felt indulgent. Could have bought something cheaper or not at all. But I believe in "buy right once" and MC fulfills that philosophy. "But is it a wise investment?" Absolutely--every weekend is a holiday where we make memories and reconnect. To paraphrase the old adage, you probably won't find any tombstones that say "Wish I Never Bought that Boat". Be sensible. . .have fun. . . life's too short to be paranoid and too long to be reckless.
Amen to that. This is better said than mine. Same thought process.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X2
One thing I can say is that it sucks making a payment, no matter how big or how small, when it's sitting in storage for the winter!!!!!