Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X2 5.7L
Transmission Fluid in Hull

Hey all!

I have a 2002 Mastercraft Maristar 210 and have been noticing a build up of transmission fluid in the hull... I took it in for service at my local marina, and they flushed the transmission and changed the fluid 3 times then said they ran it fine for a good 45 minutes with out any leaks or such... When i got the boat home from service yesterday i scrubed the hull out so it was bone dry... This morning i went out waterskiing and then filled up the ballast and went boarding and when i got back i checked the hull and there was a good amount of fluid in it already! (Only 2 hours of operation from return from service.) After poking around the engine compartment for a little i found small chucks of rubber or gasket like material by the rudder. My theory is that the gasket of the propeller shaft from the transmission is bad, but i have no technical experience with engines at all. Hopefully some input from you guys can help me figure out what is actually going on and some honest answers instead of the misleading answers you always get from marinas to make a few more bucks! Thanks in advanced guys!

Spence

Attached are some pictures of the rubber i found, fluid by the rudder and fluid in the center hole in front on the gas tank, and lastly one of the propeller shaft.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I would think it's possible that you didn't get all the transmission fluid out of the boat when you cleaned it. Then you has the some water coming in through the shaft and it just mixed back up.

I would: Clean it again, make note of the trans fluid level and keep a close eye on it. If the level goes down again then you still have a leak some where. Wipe clean the connections for the trans cooler lines and check to see if they are wet with fluid after a ride.

Two hours and that much water might indicate you need to check/tighten your log pack, or change out the rope inside it.

I'm not sure what that material you found is, but I don't think its log packing.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 AM
TT Regular

Thank you for the speedy response!

I am not sure if it is log packing or not because I am not quite sure of the material...

Before leaving to ride the fluid was a hair above the second notch on the dipstick... Now it is at the first notch.

I cleaned the hull/bilge/ski locker, the whole nine yards very well so i do not think that it is just left over fluid.

What kind of repair is it to repack/change the log packing or whatever you must do? Expensive, Time consuming or quick and cheap?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 PM

There is a link in the FAQ on how to repack a stuffing box.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5427

And here is the thread about it.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...0&postcount=31

Well, you clearly have a leak still. It could be from the transmission fluid lines to the cooler or the input or output shaft seals. If it's the output shaft then you could probably change that one without removing the transmission. If it's the input you would have to remove the trans or at least pull it back away from the motor to do it.

It could also be the trans cooler its self but they normally they leak water into the trans when they are bad.

What work did the boat shop do for you?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
There is a link in the FAQ on how to repack a stuffing box.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5427

And here is the thread about it.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...0&postcount=31

Well, you clearly have a leak still. It could be from the transmission fluid lines to the cooler or the input or output shaft seals. If it's the output shaft then you could probably change that one without removing the transmission. If it's the input you would have to remove the trans or at least pull it back away from the motor to do it.

It could also be the trans cooler its self but they normally they leak water into the trans when they are bad.

What work did the boat shop do for you?
My local mechanic flushed the system then changed the ATF 3 times... When we brought it in it was a milky white pink, which apperently means that there was some water in the system.

I'm very egar to fix this so i can get out a contiune my daily riding but am to afraid of riding with this issue.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Ok, it looks like I skipped over the part of pink trans fluid in the transmission. One of the most common reasons is a hole in the trans cooler and its the first thing I would check. A few of the users here have taken them to radiator shops and had them pressure tested.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
TT Regular

Where is the transmission cooler located?
Below is a picture of the propeller shaft going into the transmission, it appears that there are no packing rings, or as far as i can see... Could this tie into those pieces of rubber like material i found? (Picutred above) Also attached is a picture of the whole engine and transmission so it is easier for you all the point me in the right direction.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
In your last pic follow those black rubber hoses from the trans (they say dayco on them) to the trans cooler. There will be a large water hose at each end of the cooler. Remove those large hoses and stick your finger inside the large openings of the trans cooler. There should be no red fluid on your finger, just water. If you have red trans fluid in there the cooler needs to be replaced.

Personally, I'd go ahead and replace it anyway (10 years old right?) Then clean up everything, change trans fluid again, run it and recheck your bilge.

Those rubber pieces in your pic look like melted hose or belt. Maybe from previous owner working on it?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
In your last pic follow those black rubber hoses from the trans (they say dayco on them) to the trans cooler. There will be a large water hose at each end of the cooler. Remove those large hoses and stick your finger inside the large openings of the trans cooler. There should be no red fluid on your finger, just water. If you have red trans fluid in there the cooler needs to be replaced.

Personally, I'd go ahead and replace it anyway (10 years old right?) Then clean up everything, change trans fluid again, run it and recheck your bilge.

Those rubber pieces in your pic look like melted hose or belt. Maybe from previous owner working on it?
This may not be the case. The water pressure will probably over pressure the trans fluid and the cooler will be clean.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
TT Regular

Okay! I'll try that in the morning! How do I identify which cooler i need? I assume there is a part number on it but where would it normally be located?