Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X2 06
I was trying not be offensive in any way, apologies if my post in any way sounded like that. English is not my mother tongue, so this might have contributed to my lines sounding a bit rude.

But unfortunately there is no way of telling how people think and behave by just looking at a picture. At the end we all want to have fun with our great hobby and I think it is more than ok that potential dangers are pointed out, especially here where a lot of people are seeking advice.

I once fell when starting to wakesurf and got the wakesurf (not wakeboard) line around my arm when I nosedived. At that point in time we've been wakeboarding for more than 10 years, so we know how to drive, i.e. immediately shut the throttle when someone falls. I can assure you that with a wakeboard line I would have been really badly hurt, since my arm was soar and blue for weeks and the first layers of skin were torn off where the rope had been wrapped around my arm. The boat simply does not stop fast enough, believe me. The drag your body creates when you go under water is enormous.

Again, no offense at all just wanted to point out an issue some of the readers here might not be aware of. My accident scared the hell out of me and I can't imagine what could have happened with a thin no-stretch line.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidForce View Post
I was trying not be offensive in any way, apologies if my post in any way sounded like that. English is not my mother tongue, so this might have contributed to my lines sounding a bit rude.
No worries, But it did sound like you assumed we were the most unsafe surfers out there. Next time you point out issues you see, don't assume the worst. Half of your suggestions like wrapping it around his hand ... it kinda looks like that in the photo but that was not the case at all ... weren't even issues in the photo. Good points for others but not an issue here for me.

Not to mention the assumption that i'm too cheap to spend $30 on a surf rope and handle.

And its not like he pulled up with the line and not the handle and I did see how it looked before posting but it was the best shot I had of the wave thus why I used it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
When someone falls its throttle off not go around, and fyi you are looking at a Marine veteran (in photo) and you're talking to an Army veteran. The risks of the rope were all portrayed to each other and the rope was shortened right after this run. I already have a line ordered on ebay since last Tuesday.

Also if you look close he is holding with his left hand & with only two fingers the slack and handle in his right have 3 loops made and are in front of him not behind. Your advice was sound but you didn't realize you were looking at a war veteran that received safety instruction and coaching on the rope and its dangers before and during that run and was shortened pronto because even a novice can figure that stuff out.

Glad you pointed it out so that anyone else seeing the photo did not assume that is safe practice but it was rude to insinuate that I had zero safety in mind and zero correct equipment ordered or in mind. I'm a pilot, a veteran, I've employed 8 in construction for the last 6 years with no injuries . Safety is my middle name. Next time just raise awareness and don't call someone out to look stupid please.

No offense, but your post contradicts itself...... Safety is your middle name, but because you are aware of the risks with the wakeboard line, its ok to use it?

Ironic story for you- A Marine got his leg torn up on my lake last year, surfing behind an I/O....... Just because you have had safety training, doesn't mean it is a good idea to do something that you know is unsafe...... **** happens, no matter how awesome you are.

I realize that you have the correct rope on order, and that you know the risks. No need to jump down somebody's throat, for pointing out that you were doing something stupid. Especially when you know it is stupid.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
No offense, but your post contradicts itself...... Safety is your middle name, but because you are aware of the risks with the wakeboard line, its ok to use it?

Ironic story for you- A Marine got his leg torn up on my lake last year, surfing behind an I/O....... Just because you have had safety training, doesn't mean it is a good idea to do something that you know is unsafe...... **** happens, no matter how awesome you think you are.

I realize that you have the correct rope on order, and that you know the risks. No need to jump down somebody's throat, for pointing out that you were doing something stupid. Especially when you know it is stupid.
Fixed that up for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post

Ironic story for you- A Marine got his leg torn up on my lake last year, surfing behind an I/O....... Just because you have had safety training, doesn't mean it is a good idea to do something that you know is unsafe...... **** happens, no matter how awesome you are.

i have to agree with your post 100%
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Fixed that up for you.
Your a ****, I've read a lot of your posts your not too nice are you. The guy I was talking to assumed we are completely unsafe and asserts the idea that I don't have $30 to get the right rope. There is a way to suggest things. There is a way not to. By depriving me of my character is not the way to do it. nuph sed

Nothing unsafe about that photo or the Marine surfing or me the boat driver. Period
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM
MC Devotee

^^^ meant to quote the 44 guy. my bad
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X2 06
I removed my post since I believe there will be no further value added by myself.

Last edited by LiquidForce; 08-21-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Your a ****, I've read a lot of your posts your not too nice are you. The guy I was talking to assumed we are completely unsafe and asserts the idea that I don't have $30 to get the right rope. There is a way to suggest things. There is a way not to. By depriving me of my character is not the way to do it. nuph sed

Nothing unsafe about that photo or the Marine surfing or me the boat driver. Period
You're being pretty sensitive for a Soldier. For the 24 years I was in if you were doing something even remotely unsafe you could expect to get yourself hammered pretty hard and it was never in a nice way. In the Army NO ONE suggest things, you are told you are wrong and not in a nice way so I know you are used to it. Stop making such a big deal out of someone giving you some friendly and nice advise on what not to do while boating. Everyone here does it to everyone that post. Well, maybe not Scott, he thinks everyone is a fuddy duddy.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
MC Devotee

So cantrepeat. Then you know better than most that sometimes to figure out the right way is to try the wrong way first. The photo you see is of the first pull of the day for surf. None of the posts were to suggest that others should be safe. They were that I was the example of unsafe. And in the Army I was tought to defend my intellectual capacity to its fullest. You can call me sensitive but the truth is all I said was your wrong about me, this is who I am, I noticed it was long and told him exactly how I wanted him to choke up so I could see exactly where to tie it off on the next run. The rope was then tossed away and the boat stopped and retied. You of all people should think a Marine can handle that.

They were all good points. All I said was I'm not an idiot. Then someone else compares this photo to some idiot surfing behind an I/O ... thats not even in the same world as a slightly long rope.