Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Surf wave size & shape opinoins please

Been messing with surfing for a week now. Different balast configs, speeds, etc etc. I know a lot of you guys have more experience in wake shaping. Is there any tips that anyone can see from the photo I'd appreciate it. Also the guy on the board its his first time and not me. Also the board is the new Humanoid Flux i just bought becasue I hated the Ronix Koal. The flux is a board for the whole family. Up first try for everyone and surfing and having fun.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X45 8.1L, 13 X30 5.7L
Your surf wake actually looks pretty decent. How does it surf? Could you post your setup: Model, ballast configuration and weight, speed, trim tab, passengers. etc...
Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
I agree, looks good. I'm also interested in your setup.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
My X25 wave looks like that.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 PM
MC Devotee

I had about 500#'s in port locker and 300# in starboard and 200# in bow as ballast. Also spread around that day in passengers I had another 300ish pounds of weight sitting on each side of the bow; me the driver @ #175# and a 100# girl in the observer seat (taking the photo you see of my friend surfing his first time). Running 9mph at around 2700-2900 rpm depending (I don't have perfect pass) I have a 1995 Maristar 200vrs. 4 blade prop indimar

And if it looks like your X25 I think I have got it figured out as far as my boat goes. It surfs great. So I have been told without perfect pass I am the only driver so far that can manage to hold this shape consistently so for me it surfs just meh until the perfect pass comes in. (already ordered)

Last edited by Traxx822; 08-20-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X Star
I have an 05 X Star with the fly high kit and I load stock KGB, stock Port and partial port fly high depending on the passengers and mine surfs fine between 10 and 12. I have surfed behind a number of boats and it all comes down to weight, we always find a polite way to sit our larger friends in the back left corner. I have heard arguments for weighting the front vs. the back center all I can say is if you are having fun and you can surf without the rope not much else matters. Also if you want to surf without the rope it is a lot easier if you keep the wake clean like yours is, sometimes without enough people or ballast the dirty part of the wave catches my back leg and slows me down too much.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
Wave looks good to me and we surf a lot. honestly not even close to the wave that i was expecting to see when i scrolled down!a
Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X2 06
Hi,

I don't want to be a smart *** here, but: PLEASE get yourself a decent wakesurf handle and immediately stop using the wakeboard line!!! Especially collecting the line in your hand like in the picture is VERY DANGEROUS. If you fall and get tangled into the rope you might loose and arm or hand!!! The thin wakeboard line will cut like a knife, even at very low speeds. A wakesurf rope is much thicker and the handle much smaller in order to avoid accidents. Please invest those 30$. And always shorten the rope on the boat side, never coil up the rope in your hand. Never.

I have a 2006 X2 with the FlyHigh Kit and we surf with stock port, kgb and FlyHigh port bag all completely filled. Usually three people on the boat which usually sit on the port side as well. We adjust the speed to get a nicely shaped wake. Works pretty well. Your wake looks nice.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidForce View Post
Hi,

I don't want to be a smart *** here, but: PLEASE get yourself a decent wakesurf handle and immediately stop using the wakeboard line!!! Especially collecting the line in your hand like in the picture is VERY DANGEROUS. If you fall and get tangled into the rope you might loose and arm or hand!!! The thin wakeboard line will cut like a knife, even at very low speeds. A wakesurf rope is much thicker and the handle much smaller in order to avoid accidents. Please invest those 30$. And always shorten the rope on the boat side, never coil up the rope in your hand. Never.
When someone falls its throttle off not go around, and fyi you are looking at a Marine veteran (in photo) and you're talking to an Army veteran. The risks of the rope were all portrayed to each other and the rope was shortened right after this run. I already have a line ordered on ebay since last Tuesday.

Also if you look close he is holding with his left hand & with only two fingers the slack and handle in his right have 3 loops made and are in front of him not behind. Your advice was sound but you didn't realize you were looking at a war veteran that received safety instruction and coaching on the rope and its dangers before and during that run and was shortened pronto because even a novice can figure that stuff out.

Glad you pointed it out so that anyone else seeing the photo did not assume that is safe practice but it was rude to insinuate that I had zero safety in mind and zero correct equipment ordered or in mind. I'm a pilot, a veteran, I've employed 8 in construction for the last 6 years with no injuries . Safety is my middle name. Next time just raise awareness and don't call someone out to look stupid please.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
When someone falls its throttle off not go around, and fyi you are looking at a Marine veteran (in photo) and you're talking to an Army veteran. The risks of the rope were all portrayed to each other and the rope was shortened right after this run. I already have a line ordered on ebay since last Tuesday.
Thanks for your service. I don't understand what that has to do with using a longer rope? Was there some training I missed out on? I can't match up rappelling from a Blackhawk to wake surfing.