Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 08-31-2005, 09:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X7, MCX
Vibration and a new CNC prop

Here is the dealio...can you guys help me on this???

My first post, or close to it, was about some vibration that I felt when turning the boat and under hard acceleration.

That was about 59 hours ago or so.

My dealer, who also happens to be a neighbor, came down for a pull and I had him drive the boat. He said something is definitely not right, and because there is vibration all the way through all speeds he believes it is most likely an alignment issue.

Being the very cool dealer/guy he is he has decided to take off work early on Friday and come to my dock and fix it....thats service.

In the event its a prop issue, I think I am going to try to buy an ACME prop in the AM and drop it on there. I need a spare anyway.

Two questions:

1. Think anything is damaged by running it slightly misaligned?

2. Which prop? I have a 12.5 x 12 that was stock. X7 (197), MCX, its not a powerslot.

I am actually very happy with the holeshot and top end of my boat. It will do 45mph even heavily loaded.....thats fast enough to barefoot so thats good by me. I am a few hundred RPM short of WOT I think...if memory serves.

I spoke briefly with Jim at Acme, he suggested...and I am going by memory I could be wrong....the 845. He said there was another, a higher stock number, that might give me a slightly faster top end but I am not looking for that. I am looking for smooth, then holeshot, then topend.

Need your help guys, holiday weekend is coming soon!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:22 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
As for the prop, listen to Jim and go with the one he suggests. If you don't like it, I think they still offer 30 days to swap it or something. I don't think you probably did much damage if you ran it slightly misaligned. If that doesn't solve it, check the rope packing (caused lots of vibration in my brother in law's boat).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:24 PM
MC Fanatic

He suggested that I shop around a little. What is the cheapest place online?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Also, will he know the correct shaft size? Is it splined?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 PS-197 - X7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertT
Here is the dealio...can you guys help me on this???

My first post, or close to it, was about some vibration that I felt when turning the boat and under hard acceleration.

That was about 59 hours ago or so.

My dealer, who also happens to be a neighbor, came down for a pull and I had him drive the boat. He said something is definitely not right, and because there is vibration all the way through all speeds he believes it is most likely an alignment issue.

Being the very cool dealer/guy he is he has decided to take off work early on Friday and come to my dock and fix it....thats service.

In the event its a prop issue, I think I am going to try to buy an ACME prop in the AM and drop it on there. I need a spare anyway.

Two questions:

1. Think anything is damaged by running it slightly misaligned?

2. Which prop? I have a 12.5 x 12 that was stock. X7 (197), MCX, its not a powerslot.

I am actually very happy with the holeshot and top end of my boat. It will do 45mph even heavily loaded.....thats fast enough to barefoot so thats good by me. I am a few hundred RPM short of WOT I think...if memory serves.

I spoke briefly with Jim at Acme, he suggested...and I am going by memory I could be wrong....the 845. He said there was another, a higher stock number, that might give me a slightly faster top end but I am not looking for that. I am looking for smooth, then holeshot, then topend.

Need your help guys, holiday weekend is coming soon!
This is what OJ told me. I have a 2003 PS-197 and the factory prop was an OJ 4 blade 13 x 14L, not their CNC prop. Acme and OJ are both pushing 3 blades to out perform their 4 blades.

Chuck,

I would suggest our 13 X 12 LC XMP 3-blade, $394.00, for your boat. This
propeller should be the best overall performer for your application. If you have
any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,
Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller
800-359-9730

This is what Acme told me. And yes I am testing both. Looking for the flatest wake for slalom @ 32, 34 & 36 mph, all else is not important.

Good morning Chuck, I have a couple of different props. I
would like you to try. The first one is the Acme 979 12.5 LH 12.625 three blade nibral spline bore .050 cup. I also have the Acme 841 13 LH 12.5 four blade nibral spline bore .080 cup. I can send the props on a 30 day test & will bill your credit card at the end of 30 days for the second propeller if you do not send it back.

Thank You,
Bill Weeks
Sales Engineer
1 888 661 2263
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Strictly from the service aspect, I am going to go with Acme. They are willing to send you two brand new props, and allow you to choose? That is amazing.

Ok, 979 vs 841....whats the difference.

I have opposite needs as you, so we may need different props.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Can someone shed light on why the factory puts on a 4 blade, but the two prop guys (from what I read in the thread) push the 3 blade?

[quote=crdickey]This is what OJ told me. I have a 2003 PS-197 and the factory prop was an OJ 4 blade 13 x 14L, not their CNC prop. Acme and OJ are both pushing 3 blades to out perform their 4 blades.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PendOreilleSkier
Can someone shed light on why the factory puts on a 4 blade, but the two prop guys (from what I read in the thread) push the 3 blade?

it's a K-O-N spiracy

another plot by the man

MC probably got a deal (bulk buy)
Old 09-01-2005, 12:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
As for where to get it, I got mine a year ago in March for $293 delivered from Schnitz (www.schnitzskis.com). They have gone up a bit since then. But at the time, that was the best deal I was able to find.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:43 PM
MC Fanatic

I have 3 different props coming directly from Acme. I will return two of them. Super cool guys, I am absolutely confident that I will get the exact prop I am looking for.

I plan on doing tests all weekend...on and off. Nothing as involved as yours, but I also want to take advantage of the opportunity to test three different 3 blade CNC props vs the stock OJ prop at the same time.

We will also have two other boats on the water doing the same thing.

I will post results/thoughts as we get them.

You know, if baffles me, to get another few MPH or a much better holeshot out of a boat manufacturers have to spend thousands. The prop seems to be the absolute best bang for your buck from a manufacturer's perspective, there cant be more than $50.00 difference.

Maybe the stock prop is the absolute best, I don't know but we will see.