Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X15 MCX350
2007 X15 Ballast

I have two 450 LBS Fly High Fat sacs in addition to the stock ballast in my newly purchased 2007 X15

I have a couple of questions about a good ballast setup for wakeboarding

If I fill the factory ballast and the two additional sacs and place them in the rear lockers will it make the wake better? Or will I need to add more weight in the front in addition to the KGB to compensate for the added weight in the rear?

Also, if it is better with the additional weight in the rear would it be better to just remove the rear hard tanks and plug the lines directly into the sacs since they hold more weight or should I piggy back? I want to know if the difference is big enough to justify piggy backing because I feel that will be a more difficult route to take.

I know some may ask why I don't try this out myself... well, I have a limited amount of time but I do plan to try this I just want to hear what other people that have tried this think of it.

Last edited by jkcTN; 05-31-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X15
We just took our X-15 out for the first time last weekend. We had the stock ballast full with 10 people in the boat. The wake was pretty good, but it was really wide. I am thinking this is because there wasn't enough weight in the front. Next time I get out I'm going to try filling all stock tanks and put a #450 in the front/walkway and see how the wake is, also I am going to try that and add the other #450 in the back in front of the seat. I am not a great wakeboarder so I don't need a huge wake just quite yet haha.
If I was going to put the #450's in the back lockers on top of the stock system I would put a #1000 sack in the front walkway, just because I feel the wake would be really wide, but again I haven't tried that yet so I don't know.
As for piggybacking, I would test out different things before plumbing it in to make sure you know exactly what you want.
Keep us posted of what you come up with and how it works
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
I have 450s in the rear lockers of my x15 and with both full plus factory tanks, it is a bit tail heavy. The wake washes out at speeds below at least 19 mph (likes it better) and gets twitchy in "centering" the boat to make a symmetrical wake (small changes in weight on one side was out the other side). I've found it works with the trim tab down maybe 1/3, but even better is putting a little weight mid ship or in the nose. My boat is lightly loaded with people if you're doing comparisons - driver and observer only in the boat plus rider behind.

For the comment right before this about wake width... To my knowledge there is zero relationship between wake width and weight. Wake width is dependent on the hull shape and width plus boat speed. The x15 is not overly wide, but I suppose would seem wide if you came from a narrower boat like an x1.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
As a X15 owner I have to tell you if you want the biggest wake, you must run more ballast in the front. 60-40 is a good estimate.

This is my set up and my wake is one of the biggest I have rode. I have 2 580 pound nautique wedge sacks plumbed in to the stock KGB and 140pound's of lead all in the front. I fill them as full as I can but not completely as to push up the seat cushions. My buddy has a similar front set up but his sacks are only 275 pound bags and his wake suffers a bit.

I removed the rear hard tanks and replaced them with FH 1100 pound bags because I learned from another set up that the piggy back system is a pita. I strongly recommend you not piggy back. I fill the rear bags around 50 percent full or so if I know i'm going to have 3 or more people in the boat. The wake will be very big.

The wake is going to be wide period....there is only two ways around this and that is to pull the rope in or go big!!

Good luck with the new boat....you'll love it!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X15
@ZachDaddy- just wondering if your front wedge sacks are both 580lbs or total 580lbs. I want to plumb in sacks in my X-15 and wondering if it would be better to do that or use the wakemakers bow sack? would you happen to have any pics of the sacks full inside the boat?
Thanks for your help