Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
What ignition are you running? Most EI conversions will act like that if you have low voltage (less than 9.5v) at the coil.

I had 7.5 at the coil due to corrosion induced resistance at multiple points. This caused my Pertronix Ignitor II to act fine on the fake lake, but fell completely flat in the water and couldn't get out of the hole.

Good luck, look great!

Matt
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Do the easy things first - since you mentioned firing order, make 100% sure you have that right. You'll be chasing your tail until you are sure. Search on here for the correct order and which cylinders are which..............
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerjfr View Post
hello all,
im a new member and recently bought a 1984 ss knowing it needed a lot of work. challange accepted. after working on this thing for a couple months im at a loss. fisrt ill tell you what i know has been done to the boat then ill tell you my problem.

rebuilt 351 windsor installed
new impellor
all new hoses and belts
new distributor cap and rotor and plugs
new fuel filter
rebuilt 4160 holley marine carburator
and timed the engine once

every time i change/replace something, we take it to the water to test it and always have the same issues.

i can get the boat to idle awesome. it sounds good, revs and relaxes on command. as soon as i put it in gear it boggs so bad and doesn't want to go anywhere. pumping the throttle doesn't help, nothing seems to work. then if i try to put it back in neutral, the engine dies. then it seems a little harder to get it to start again. im at my whits end

couple things i havent tried yet
replace coil
replace fuel pump
checked breather or anti-siphon valve
had a boating friend tell me my firing order may be off and causing the problem

basically im looking for some guidance, ideas, correct firing order? whatever anyone can spare. i would really like to get this thing running before evrything freezes over for the winter. please help.

thanks for your time
-jeff

Where are you in Wisconsin?
Cj - Oconomowoc, Wi (between Madison and Milwaukee)
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '84 mastercraft
thanks for the site, I'll be sure to check it out.

UPDATE: i started goimg through the fuel lines again. starting at the tank and working my way to the carb. when i got to the fuel pump, i removed it and took it apart. one of the two valves inside the pump was literally floating around. im guessing this might be part of my problems if not all of my problems.

i will be ordering a new one very soon and let everyone know how it turns out. also i dont want to sound completely stupid but where is the anti siphon valve located on an 84 Craft. basically can i get to it or do i have to pull the gas tank out ect. thanks again everyone.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
TT Newbie

Also i will be double checking the firing order and checking the voltage at the coil while i wait for the pump to arrive. and CJ, i live over in the Trempealeau area just north of LaCrosse. thanks again everyone.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
TT Newbie

finally... it ran. i actually got it off the trailor and took it for a little cruise. what finally did the trick, the firing order was off, or possibly not makeing a good connection. i ripped all the plug wires off, laid them out, and visually inspacted each one before putting them back on the engine. tripple checked the firing order. turned the key and it started right up. AWESOME!!! i still have some minor things to do this weekend, idle, timing, steering, but im guessing ill be pulling skiiers and tubers on saturday. Thanks again for all the advice, and ideas, it really paid off and i can't thank you enough.

Tags
1984, engine boggs, idle, mastercraft