Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
College.

If you took my post as negative I apologize. I sure do not mean for them to come across as rude.

Here is my thought. Just my honest thought.

The boat probably had gel work for some real damage. Instead of using gel the PO had it painted due to saving cash.

The off color that you are seeing very well may be Bondo. There are different shades of bondo.

Just asking a question here, are you positive that you have not started sanding to the next color? I'm sure you have not due to the bow being one color and the sides being another. This makes me assume that it is bondo filler.

Here is an idea.

Pull the carpet back if needed on sides and look on the inside of the boat where those repairs are. What does it look like?

Auto paint makes me think bondo filler to prep for paint.

Where to go from here......

Decide now if you really want the tower or not as those holes can be repaired now if you don't want it.

Keep sanding and locate any other damage spots.

Really try to locate inside damage as well. If there is noticeable inside repair then I bet that there is no gel under the filler or whatever is on the outside.

More pics will help.

Don't panic stay calm and think thinks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Hey college you're really putting in the time. Looking good. Is that stuff that looks like fill on both sides of near the same place where the windshield ends? I believe it's a polyester filler like Kyle mentions. If that filler is in the same place on both port and starboard I believe the boat had a different tower than it has now. (we'll leave that assertion at that..)

Here's a great link to read about epoxy, vinyl and polyester resins. The one pic shows a pit in the filler like you see in many Bondo applications. As long as you have gone this far and made very good progress you and restore the the finish of the boat.

If you are working this hard I would consider checking the filler. It is far softer than gel. If that is polyester (Bondo) filler it will flex differently than the gel and cause cracks after you reapply gel coat. Your're working hard now so you may want to check that.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM

I am with you kyle...looks like some damage...that is definitely some type of filler as you indicate where pink is visible under white gel.

College everything look okay on the inside? Now is a good time to re-glass and re-enforce. I will revisit original pics as well
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Was looking at original picks again... could have been just defects in gel that PO was fixing if this is what glass looks like on the inside.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Guys,

Kyle did not at all take your post as negative I was having an "oh sh*t" moment when I was looking at the pictures and needed some reinforcement that I wasn't crazy for getting this far in.

mikeg, thanks for flipping the pics, that interior fiberglass pic is from the stern. I need to clean up some dust before I can get to the interior. But I know that there has been work done as I can see on the out side of the inside if that makes sense.

there are alot of bubble holes in the filler, which is why i could tell that work had been done under the paint. What are the thoughts on getting ride of the patch? grinder? and then re fiberglass and gel over that?

I think this might be over my head but I am in this far so I might just give it a go.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Is the brown filler bondo?

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

I think so, after some research it sure looks that way.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Had some on a repair on my boat when I got it. Took it out and replaced with gelcoat. Wasn't too tough other than dealing with matching the color.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 AM
MC Maniac

College

Sometimes chit gets deep and you need to hike up your jeans and just walk through it......

This would be one of those times.

Keep sanding to find other patches before we freak out. The more sanding you do the more evidence you uncover. Just keep going as you are. Maybe we can learn more.

Seriously not a joke..... Sand more to reveal more of the sides and top cap.

Keep going, don't freak out, quit panicking, and sand towards the stern.

Bottom hull looks good. Top cap is damaged. Let's find out really how bad.

Hang in there college

It's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 01-01-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM

You're gonna get more and more encouragement. Plus your work will be chronicled here so keep taking pictures. Don't worry about flipping them I can always fix that. I would love to see the glass under the patch stern filler patch.

Now I know what the screws are - they are the screws on the rub rail cap - right?

I agree with Thatmastercraft - get rid of the filler and replace with gel. Here's a great video on matching gelcoat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxyrxIC2Ts you can get the color by playing with pigments before you add the oxidizer.

If there's any repair work please use real epoxy.

She's going to look great when your done!

Last edited by mikeg205; 01-01-2013 at 10:48 AM.