Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-7
Send a message via Yahoo to mdthacker
2002 X7 Vibration Issue

Hi All,

I'm having a vibration issue with my 2002 X7. I was out on the local lake pulling a couple of tubes behind the boat. When I got up to 15-20 MPH started having a good bit of vibration coming from the rear area of the boat. When I'm not towing, the libration is not nearly as bad, but not gone either. So I ended up taking it easy and then heading back home early.

My first thought of course is the propeller. Upon examination, it is clearly not perfect and seems like there is a distortion/warpage issue on one of the blades. The wierd part is that I do not recall hearing any thud or noise from hitting something under the water. But with the stereo and noise from all the kids, this does not surprise me at all.

Also, with the boat in neutral on the trailer, rotating the prop produces a rough noise from where the prop shaft goes through the rear brass guide. Not sure is this is normal or no.

So, any ideas as to the proper course of action on this??

Thanks,
Mark

Any good recommendations for a replacement 13 x 13 1/2 LH 1" shaft prop?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
contact Eric at OJ props.

http://www.ojprops.com/
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 06 mastercraft x1
just a thought..does youe driveshaft move around??? if so its the sleeve in there. it can casue major vibration! i changed them in my boat and it was smooth as can be after! call mastercraft they will have the driveahft sleeve. if its the same as a 06 x-1 there like pvs plastic sleeves with some grooves in them, failry cheap in cost.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I'd be willing to bet your prop is out of balance/dented/damaged. Also, when you move the prop shaft or put the boat in gear while it is on the trailer, you will get a horrible screaching sound because the cutlass bearing is lubricated by water. Pop your prop off and take it to a prop shop or ship it in for repair.