Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
Specter posted a video of his surf wake behind his 30. The 25 surf wake still looks better to me I could easily sell the 25 and spend LESS money on a 30 but I've still yet to see any surf wake that's better on the 30 over the 25 with whatever weight is in it. I'm not saying the 30 isn't good, I just haven't seen a 30 that's better than our 25.

Last edited by TheWoons; 08-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
Specter posted a video of his surf wake behind his 30. The 25 surf wake still looks better to me I could easily sell the 25 and spend LESS money on a 30 but I've still yet to see any surf wake that's better on the 30 over the 25 with whatever weight is in it. I'm not saying the 30 isn't good, I just haven't seen a 30 that's better than our 25.
I agree Ryan. Maybe it's tough to show a surf wake in pictures but what I've seen so far does not compare tthe he 25. Maybe the 30 does more with less weight?

Which boat is the best seller right now. I know they are moving alot of 30's, have they surpassed 25's?

Either way, they are all nice boats...
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I think judging the surf wave from a picture is not an accurate way of judging a wave. Surf a nicely weighted 30, and the wave speaks for itself. No one has said anything about the wave on our 30 other them amazing.

And the stock wakeboard wake is pretty mellow and good for beginners but add in an extra 1500-2000 lbs and things change a lot! I now love the wakeboard wake on our 30. Soooo clean so far back and very big and firm.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcanada View Post
Been wondering how much better the 6.2 is than the 6.0 in the 30 and if its worth the extra money. Anyone try this combo?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
Put simply- The 6.2l IS worth the money. You will be thankful at the gas pump as well.....

The 6.0 is plenty powerful for the 30, however, it is very hard to beat the fuel mileage, smoothness, and reliability of the Gen IV SBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I think judging the surf wave from a picture is not an accurate way of judging a wave. Surf a nicely weighted 30, and the wave speaks for itself. No one has said anything about the wave on our 30 other them amazing.
I have spent a considerable amount of time behind both properly weighted. I couldnt really say that either surf wake was better than the other. One big thing that I did notice, is that you have to be a lot more careful with the 30 to avoid swamping it. It is easily managable, but you cant just turn into the oncoming wave when picking up a downed rider. As long as we turn the 25 to starboard (when surfing port), it never puts water over the bow when we turn immediately around. With the 30, we just wait for the last ripple to go by, and then spin it around.... No biggie.

Wakeboard wake on the two boats is hugely different.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2012, 5.7
my 2 cents, it's tough to judge the surf wake from a picture. Everyone has a preference (usually related to the boat they own). My 30 weighted with two extra 750's and a 370 creates a large surf wake, the wakeboard wake with just stock ballast isn't huge and it is wide. I went with the 30 for three reasons, I think it drives better (more nimble), it was more cost effective, and I prefer the looks of it. As someone said previously the 30 does ride lower in the water so it is easier to swamp the front end if you turn into your surf wake and come off power...
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM
MC Fanatic

I have to agree with Fourforty, it is probably easier to swamp when loaded down for surfing. But as mentioned its very easy to avoid too.

Fourforty, riding behind the 30 fully weighted for wakeboarding, what did you think? I know you said they are hugely different, but what was your opinion or what was the big difference. I know everyone loves the 25 even just stock. The 30 stock is pretty mellow stock, great for beginners. I have not had the opportunity to ride a 25 yet. I liked my 30 stock just fine but when we added all the extra weight was when I really started to like it. I found it gave it the need lip to get more straight up pop.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanenberger View Post
We have a 25 and just ordered a 30. Here is mt 2 cents after useing both. The 30 is much better surfing. 25 is much better wakeboarding if you are experienced. The wake can be quite large and scary for a beginner. The 30's wake for boarding is much more melow. Skiing behind the 25 is not alot of fun, but that was not the design purpose. You can easliy ski behind a 30.
Several of yall have mentioned, easily sking behind a 30.. I myself havnt tried it yet, but i have had several friends behind it and they compared it to our 06 star, we had last year. We played with the plate and a friend said it made the hump, even harder. None of my friends, nor myself, would ski at 37. Is there a setup or location of crossing the wake, that yall can recommend?? Weve enjoyed the other aspects, but was told(by dealer), that it was designed to beat the diamond hulled bu's, wake wise.. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double View Post
I went with the 30 for three reasons, I think it drives better (more nimble).....
Absolutley True. It is way more nimble than a 25. Especially if the 25 doesnt have tracking fins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have to agree with Fourforty, it is probably easier to swamp when loaded down for surfing. But as mentioned its very easy to avoid too.

Fourforty, riding behind the 30 fully weighted for wakeboarding, what did you think? I know you said they are hugely different, but what was your opinion or what was the big difference. I know everyone loves the 25 even just stock. The 30 stock is pretty mellow stock, great for beginners. I have not had the opportunity to ride a 25 yet. I liked my 30 stock just fine but when we added all the extra weight was when I really started to like it. I found it gave it the need lip to get more straight up pop.
To start, I want to mention that I am not an exceptional wakeboarder..... I can do 360s and backrolls (sometimes) etc..., but that is about it. I only started boarding last year, but I am getting there. On the other hand, I have a friend that is a seriously good wakeboarder, and he is always with us too. It is actually his cousin that has the X30.

To start with, we feel that the X30 has a shallower, mushy ramp compared to the 25. It is also a little too wide. The ramp on the 25 just seems to have a lot more kick to it. It feels so much more solid, and has a perfect transition.... Not to mention, the wake on the 25 is huge in comparison. If we have 6 or more people on board, we don't usually put any ballast in the 25, unless the big boys are riding, and we never use more than the factory tanks for that. With the 30, we fill the factory tanks, and sometimes 400-500 lbs in each of the 700s in the lockers. (Much more than that, makes for an inconsistantly clean lip). We tried to compensate by adding weight up front, but we lost the height in doing so.

With all of that being said, the 30 still has a pretty good wakeboard wake. It is certainly nothing to complain about. It is just so hard to beat the shape, size, and solidness of the 25 wake. For me, It wouldnt be a big deal to have the wake that the 30 has. For my friend, it is a VERY big deal. I also imagine that it will be more important to me, as I progress.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Hi 4-40, Thanks for the feedback. I'm also an intermediate rider (got about 6 inverts and 4 different 3's). I can say that the 30 definitley doesn't hold a guy back. I haven't rode the 25 as mentioned but I do ride quite a few Moombas often. They have a steeper/narrow wake. I can't say that compared to all those wakes the 30 was mushy, it was actually the opposite. I found it to be more firm but more mellow. Adding all the weight to the rear seemed to really make the wake bigger/lippier then just stock. I did find that riding a bit slower then normal (say 22 instead of 23.5) made the wake quite a bit taller without making it any wider. We also had the plate all the way up once on plane. I guess I need to take a set on a 25 too. Overall though, I am pretty stoked in the wake of the 30 now with the extra weight. I'll try to get some pics/vids this week.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
MC Devotee

For sure.....I am not trying to say that the 30s wake is a bad wake. It is pretty darn good, especially compared to the wake of a Mobius LSV. It is just hard to explain until you have taken a few sets behind the 25. You will understand what I mean about the wake on the 25, but you will not be upset about going back behind your 30.

If the 30 had the deep V like the 25, it would probably kick the same wake, but you would lose the nimble handling. And I have to admit, I am jealous of the handling in the X30.