Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
2010 X15 KGB ballast tank crack?!?!?!?!

took the boat out today, noticed the bilge pumps came on a lot.. opened up the center hole and found the kgb tank was leaking?! boat is under warranty, and this will be time number two to go back to the factory if it has to, first time for bubling gel coat..... this is insane for a boat that costs so much?! my 2000 205V held up for 10 years with no problems!
Im about to just make MC buy the boat back.. Lemon law! this will be my fourth and most likely last MC if they dont step up! what should I do?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 AM
MC Addict

this happen to anyone else?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Did you have over flow bags plumbed in to the KGB?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
FWIW posts like this never have a happy outcome... you should work with your local dealer to fix it

i understand your frustrated and want to vent (heck, i would) but if you want the best possible outcome for yourself the dealer is the best way to go.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM
MC Addict

already talked to dealer. they arent sure if its covered under my extended warranty.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Reason I asked my question about having sac's plumbed in is because I've heard of this happening when a vacuum is created during empty cycles due to the bag collapsing and not allowing the tank to breath. Basically the tanks implode.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x2 2012 ilmor
Keep in mind that these things happen. I understand your frustration completely but this sorta thing doesn't happen with every boat. You were just the lucky one . Hopefully your dealer and MC takes care of you and you can return to a happy customer again
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
This happened to a friend of mine's 2007 X2 a few years ago. He was running only stock ballast at the time. The dealership had the floor marked up to cut it and install a new tank. They got lucky and were able to get a plastice welder to fix the crack in the tank through the bilge access hole.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelong View Post
Keep in mind that these things happen. I understand your frustration completely but this sorta thing doesn't happen with every boat. You were just the lucky one . Hopefully your dealer and MC takes care of you and you can return to a happy customer again
TX MC has the best customer service ive ever dealt with in any business. charlie and jeff are awesome over there! Theyve taken care of me better than i can ask for. Very frustrating as this isn't the normal MC quality I have experienced my entire life.
Also just stressed out because I have a wakeboard tourney in a week and this leaves me up a creek at the moment!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
This happened to a friend of mine's 2007 X2 a few years ago. He was running only stock ballast at the time. The dealership had the floor marked up to cut it and install a new tank. They got lucky and were able to get a plastice welder to fix the crack in the tank through the bilge access hole.
There is no way I would let them cut the floor open in order to replace a tank. Its a pretty poor idea when you think about it. Part of the structural integrity of the entire boat is the flooring. I'd make them split the deck and hull before I'd let them cut it open.