Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190
How to hide a fat sac

I have a 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190 that has had the rear seat modified to create a sundeck that conceals a fat sac. The sundeck is made of the seat parts so I still have all the seat parts. The 'problem' is that I could really use the seating but we also love the sundeck; and I am not willing to give up the sac! So, I was looking at the boat one day trting to figure out how keep the sac concealed and plumbed in while having the rear seat. I know some people put the sac on the seat but I dont want to do that. I noticed that the floor of my boat, where the seat is supposed to go, is elevated from the rest of the floor. I was wondering if I can hide the sac under the floor and put the seat back in its original position. I am not sure what is under the floor in this area. Does anybody else know? Oh yeah, and it would be really cool if I could some how make the rear seat convert into a sundeck. I am sure with a little time and thought I could figure out how to do all of this but I figured if somebody else has already done it, well....why reinvent the wheel!

These are the pics that I have so far. I will get more of the rerar sundeck/fat sac area soon

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
I like what you've done with the sac and making a sun deck! Looks awesome! Is there a way you could make the sundeck shorter? Or is it already touching the top o the sac? Was kinda thinning you could have a low profile back seat.. One with a 6" back rest instead of a 18" one.. Would make the passengers in the back sit higher but at least they would have somewhere to sit.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks! There isn't much clearance between the under-side of the sun deck and the top of the sac. You don't happen to know if I can bury the sac in the 'elevated' floor area, do you?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
MC Devotee

Not a clue! I'm new to mastercraft boats so I'd be the wrong guy to ask.. I have the seat and center part of the floor out of mine to fix the shaft right now and by the pictures of yours it looks like there is a 4-6" raise in the floor, mine is maybe 4" deep under the floor with lines and everything underthere so I would guess your not going to have enough room.. But I could be wrong! I might steal your idea with the sundeck this winter if someone else in my crew of people buys a boat and I don't have to worry about hauling 6 people
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM
TT Newbie

I don't remember the exact floor rise but I am guessing you're right; there are probably lines and floor stringers in there. I still think I might tear into it this winter and see what I can come up with. I really would like the extra seating. Next time I have the boat out I can send you some more detailed pics of the sundeck construciton. Really pretty basic actually. Just made a platform the is hinged with (2) heavy duty butt hinges and rests where the arm rests would mount. Marine grade wood with a coating of black paint. Screw the seat parts to the platfrom from the bottom and there you have it! I be sure to strap it with a tie-dwon while transporting though. I would hate for a gust of wind to get under it and lift it!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks man!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
you can remove the center panel in the back, and what you'll find is the propshaft and steering cable going back to the rudder. The raised sections on each side aren't removable. No room for a fat sack where you're looking.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 mastercraft stars and stripes 351w
i am looking to make a sundeck on my 1985 stars and stripes. i have been thinking on how to do it. i was thinking something like a futon. so when you need a seat its there and when you want a sundeck/fatsac area. its there.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

That'd be pretty cool if you could pull it off! That'd be ideal for me if you do it be sure and post so we can see it

Sent from the pay phone down the street via tapatalk
Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 PM
TT Newbie

So my g/f and I just had a baby; which means boating is over (well, baby is already 5 weeks old!) So, I decided to tear into my sundeck and see if I could come up with an idea to have a convertible seat/sundeck and still have the fat sac. So far...so good! I will post pictures once I get it all dry fit. Hoping to finish construction today, get the carpet, vinyl and paint done next week, and then wait until spring to try it!

Tags
1988, fat sac, fix, floor, tristar