Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Watersports Equipment

Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft Prostar 209
WTB: HO Monza or Syndicate

WTB an HO Monza or Syndicate. I'm looking for a ski that is more aggressive, etc. Would like to stick with an HO ski.

Anyone have opinions on these two skis? Which one is better? Which one takes more skill? Thank you very much. Looking forward to some replies
Old 08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
What speed are you running and are you in a course?

For what it is worth, I have been running a Monza for several years and still have not figured it out as it is a very unforgiving ski. The Monza is very fast and will allow you to make-up time throughout the course if you screw-up but you better be ready for the ride of your life because it is going to let you know you screwed up.
The A1 - A2 are the next generation of this ski and they are much more forgiving in my opinion, I just haven't ponied up the money for one yet. Another option to look at would be the System 8 or the S1 - S2 models as they are also a better ride, although more designed for the 34mph skier.

Whatever you decided, try to ride before you buy and keep an eye on www.ski-it-again.com as you will find a lot of practically new skis there for a lot less.

Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
What speed are you running and are you in a course?
I usually ski around 30 to 32 mph. No course skiing yet, but hoping to get a chance to run a course in the future.

Unfortunately there aren't many courses around in Indiana. At least not ones that I know of close by
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
In my opinion, if you are not actively skiing 36mph and realistically have no plans of doing so competitively, then you should focus on a ski that is designed for the 34mph skier, like an older HO System 8 or the newer S1 or S2. Any of these ski's would be allow you to grow in the sport and run the course, if the opportunity should arise but you will also be able to get your form down while running open water.

There are other great ski's out there and I am sure others will be along to give their opinion but in the end, try to ski a few of them before you buy. If you have the opportunity, visit a ski school and try a few out while getting instruction from the pro's....I like Coble Ski School personally and it makes a great vacation!
Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
I agree with above....you don't want a Monza at that speed. I bought a few year old new S1 and absolutley love it at 34 mph. I ski aggressively and this ski is a blast!

Search around for a left over and you'll be happy. Bought mine for $400 new, no bindings.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
I agree, no on the Monza. At that speed I would look into a HO Triumph if you indeed want to stay with HO. I've heard great things and they are inexpensive and very capable. Otherwise D3 are good high end skis that are forgiving at all speeds with ability to take you to the top. The Monza will be a mistake!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

I currently have an HO Triumph. It's a solid ski, however, I feel that it might be too buoyant for me. I also think I would like to have a shorter ski. My triumph is 67". Was looking for something about 65". I only weigh 145/150 lbs, thus I'm at the very lower end of being suitable for a 67" triumph.

I want something I can grow into because I've been skiing A LOT the past year. Would like something that cuts nice too. Only want an HO ski because I have other HO gear, lol (I know, I know poor reason for wanting to stick with HO)

ntidl: Do you think skiing anything less than 34 mph would be a mistake with an S1? I'm looking at a year old S1 that's never been used for $375 (no boots). Thinking about throwing my double basis HO's on it. Most likely I will be moving into a faster ski speed (i.e., 34 mph). Only reason I'm skiing at 30-32 right now is to improve my pull outs and cuts, etc.

I appreciate all your guys help. Advice taken on the Monza. I read up on it and it sounds like a mistake, lol.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
I know you want to stick with HO, but I would highly recommend either the D3 ( solid choice) or a Radar Senate. The S1 although a great ski, is probably better suited for solid course skiers. I may be wrong but HO high end skis tend to be much harder to dial in and not forgiving. The d3 you can walk all over it and still be in good shape. Its also very capable of taking you through 41off! You can find a used nomad or senate fairly cheap and good shape. I would recommend taking this questions over to Ballofspray.com. Many skiers with more experience than myself who could lead you the right direction as well. The owner of the site is a ski freak and has skied them all!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I ski a course, and do it at 32/33 mph on a monza... I do not enter tournaments, but have run the course @ 15' 22' and 28' on the monza at those speeds. I am more than happy running a 17.50.

Just like my 93 PS 205's 22 off bump, if you're on edge, you will not have a single issue. In fact, when I am on edge, I do not feel the bump at all at 22' off.

MC
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Agree, Monza is too much ski for that speed. I ski a Monza int 35-38 off at 34 mph. I would like to ski the A-1, S1 but don't have input for you there. The Monza will "hunt for the edge" and it isn't an enjoyable ski unless you are on edge or in a turn.